Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you Expect to happen at QB in 2021?

• Cam Newton v2.0

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Jarrett Stidham

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pats draft a QB in rounds 1-2

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • A bridge QB (Dalton, Jacoby, Fitz), then draft a QB in 2022

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would trust Brissett or Dalton over Cam. Cam's arm is cooked. He's doing his best out there and being a smart QB but the arm isn't there, he's Matt Cassel with better wheels. I honestly expect him to retire.

Why not draft a qb in 2021 with bridge qb other than cam as an option?

Have you listened to him talk about Cam? Complete and pure love fest.
Come on. He’s defending a crappy player that he is relying on.

Probably the plan, but the bridge will be Cam if he's the cheapest, unless it's a vet they might be a longer-term solution (JImmyG?).

Probably the plan, but the bridge will be Cam if he's the cheapest, unless it's a vet they might be a longer-term solution (JImmyG?).

Frankly i wish they wait another year for a QB. I’m not in the love with the QBs after the top 4 guys if they draft one. I wanted Wilson but he’s likely gone maybe ahead of lance right now.

We could have had a chance to move into the top 7 or 6 and have a chance at Wilson. Now idk. The top 4 are lawrence, fields, wilson, lance. Many are calling for jimmy g yet the guy can’t stay healthy to save his life.

Who are those many ? Do you need to have a radio turned on to hear them ?

Who are those many ? Do you need to have a radio turned on to hear them ?

Some on this board or in the media. My point is jimmy G is decent QB but injury prone. I don’t want him back but if he’s available i would take him over cam newton. If i had those two options only.

Cam makes the most sense as a bridge. He’s been here a year, he’s a vet and leader that the players like, he’s not like Stidham who is a young guy who is going to be unhappy (Cam’s likely just grateful for a change at this point), and he’ll be cheap.

Frankly i wish they wait another year for a QB. I’m not in the love with the QBs after the top 4 guys if they draft one. I wanted Wilson but he’s likely gone maybe ahead of lance right now.
We probably should just trade up if we are being honest

I don't get it, most people see this as a wasted year. We know Cam isn't the future. So, why waste another season without your absolute best shot at developing a longterm answer? If we keep Cam because we put it all out to draft "the future" guy, and need a low $ bridge, then so be it. But, keeping Cam and drafting a mediocre guess in the middle rounds (like Etling & Stidham) is a stupid waste of time. I'd rather sell out with a deal to bring Jimmy G back.

Q1: Which is supposed to be better for QBs, the 2021 draft class or 2022 draft class?
Q2: Which year will the Pats theoretically have a worse record: 2020, or 2021 (with Newton, or another vet bridge QB)?

I am on board with waiting until the 2022 draft for a QB, and using 2021 to fill in many of the other holes if necessary. It's better than wasting an early pick by reaching for a mediocre QB.

The Pats should be able to upgrade some positions in free agency next spring; they have the fifth most cap dollars available to spend. If those moves turn out right though, the 2021 Patriots could end up with a better record than the 2020 Pats - leaving the team with an even slimmer opportunity to land a long term answer at quarterback.

Perhaps @BaconGrundleCandy @State or one of the other knowledgeable resident draft gurus could weigh in on the quality at QB for the 2021 vs 2022 draft classes.

Cam makes the most sense as a bridge. He’s been here a year, he’s a vet and leader that the players like, he’s not like Stidham who is a young guy who is going to be unhappy (Cam’s likely just grateful for a change at this point), and he’ll be cheap.
I would prefer Brisset

What does it say about my football acumen if I think Jarrett Stidham has a decent chance at starting for the Patriots at QB in 2021.

Last edited:
I would prefer Brisset
Brissett was a sub 90 passer rating and sub 60 completion percentage on a much better offense than ours currently. Brissett also was on the Colts as a backup and got a 2 year 30 million contract with 20 million guaranteed. He's going to cost much more than Cam and there's really no evidence he provides anymore upside. Ballard had that Colts team ready to compete as well. So it says alot that Brissett only got to a record that is still very much in the realm of possibility for us

I don't get it, most people see this as a wasted year. We know Cam isn't the future. So, why waste another season without your absolute best shot at developing a longterm answer?

Talking about "longterm" - at the Seahawks game the announcers talked about Wilson playing another 10-15 years. That seemed a tad optimistic, but interestingly, Newton is 6 months younger than Wilson - longterm option right there :whistle:

Brissett was a sub 90 passer rating and sub 60 completion percentage on a much better offense than ours currently. Brissett also was on the Colts as a backup and got a 2 year 30 million contract with 20 million guaranteed. He's going to cost much more than Cam and there's really no evidence he provides anymore upside. Ballard had that Colts team ready to compete as well. So it says alot that Brissett only got to a record that is still very much in the realm of possibility for us
I think Brisket can do better than Cam is doing and he is worth the cost, whatever it is.

The fact is that even an elite coach needs an elite QB to win.

BB was terrible with the Browns because he didn't have the QB.
He comes to New England and he gets Bledsoe and then Brady. BOOM Championships!

Look at Andy Reid in KC. He was always known as the coach who couldn't get over the playoff hump.
Then they draft Mahomes.
Suddenly BOOM championship! Now Reid is a genius. But the fact is he has a generational talent at QB on his hands.

BB is gonna need to find the next Brady equivalent if he wants to return to the Superbowl.
Cam Newton has been a fine stopgap. But as we've seen he's not Russell Wilson nor Tom Brady.

Patriots have a great defense and a bad offense. We're not going far until we get that elite QB. I'd say we need to look in the draft.
Hopefully we can get lucky.

Q1: Which is supposed to be better for QBs, the 2021 draft class or 2022 draft class?
Q2: Which year will the Pats theoretically have a worse record: 2020, or 2021 (with Newton, or another vet bridge QB)?

I am on board with waiting until the 2022 draft for a QB, and using 2021 to fill in many of the other holes if necessary. It's better than wasting an early pick by reaching for a mediocre QB.

The Pats should be able to upgrade some positions in free agency next spring; they have the fifth most cap dollars available to spend. If those moves turn out right though, the 2021 Patriots could end up with a better record than the 2020 Pats - leaving the team with an even slimmer opportunity to land a long term answer at quarterback.

Perhaps @BaconGrundleCandy @State or one of the other knowledgeable resident draft gurus could weigh in on the quality at QB for the 2021 vs 2022 draft classes.
These next two years have a good amount talent. Probably 8-10 1st round prospects. Lots of young talent, might be a little drought in terms of depth from 23-24. I think both are similar tbh. Big prizes in Lawrence & Rattler. Then in 2021 guys like Wilson, Lance, Fields and a bunch of guys who could wait until 2022. Jones, Ridder, Strong, Corral Etc. So 2022 could be special. You got Rattler who looks like Kyler Murray's brother at times. He could be great. Then Howell, Slovis, etc who have all flashed, produced & looked outstanding at times. 2022 looks legit and actually could be very deep. A guy like Ridder could come back. Carson Strong who I think we'll like, he could come out this year. Jurkovec. Penix another guy I think we'll like but got hurt this year. Gunnell.

Lawrence is the big prize so some might automatically give 2021 the nod and it's great but 2022 could be filthy good.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back