PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The roster: Looking ahead to 2021

Would ya? Stafford for a swap of picks our 1st for their 2nd, and we give them our 2nd in 2022.

One thing is most likely, Thuney is a goner. If he wanted to stay, he would've signed long ago. Last offseason should've given you the final clue when Thuney balked at BB's typical low ball offer. This will probably be his only chance to get paid and will cash in after Quentin Nelson sets the market ceiling. Thuney has BB by the balls as there's hardly any major contracts (specifically at QB) and plenty of cap space. Either pay him top G money or let him walk.

Would not be shocking if a team was willing to trade for JC Jackson even if the Pats tender him at a 1st round level.

One thing is most likely, Thuney is a goner. If he wanted to stay, he would've signed long ago. Last offseason should've given you the final clue when Thuney balked at BB's typical low ball offer. This will probably be his only chance to get paid and will cash in after Quentin Nelson sets the market ceiling. Thuney has BB by the balls as there's hardly any major contracts (specifically at QB) and plenty of cap space. Either pay him top G money or let him walk.

Would not be shocking if a team was willing to trade for JC Jackson even if the Pats tender him at a 1st round level.
How can this team survive if we lose all playmakers.. jc jackson is one of the last. Need to make sure we sign him and andrews.. because high tower, Gilmore and thuney are goners. No good coaching could overcome the lack of talent on both sides. The secondary match ups are at least keeping us in contention , else we are gonna always be chasing scores of 30+ ...

How can this team survive if we lose all playmakers.. jc jackson is one of the last. Need to make sure we sign him and andrews.. because high tower, Gilmore and thuney are goners. No good coaching could overcome the lack of talent on both sides. The secondary match ups are at least keeping us in contention , else we are gonna always be chasing scores of 30+ ...
Billy should've signed Jackson at a discount last offseason just like how he locked up Jones. He's starting to become a "name" guy in the NFL and I believe a contender will roll the dice on him. Andrews may be tough to sign now too as he's leading in Pro Bowl votes and his Agent will definitely use that to Andrew's advantage.

I think Gilmore leaves only if he wants too. They have plenty of cap space and no other big contracts, so I see no reason for letting him go.

And I agree HT probably leaves (retirement).

Pitts and trask look good. We should probably draft Pitts in first round..

Gilmore is signed through 2021 - no reason for him to be a goner. Hightower might retire - we get $10M in cap space and can hire a younger free agent. Thuney is probably gone, which is too bad, but with Herron, and hopefully Cajuste, Onwenu could fill in well for Thuney, and we save $15M in cap space. I think Eluemunor will be gone too, but I really do not know. It would be unfortunate to lose JC Jackson for a 1srt round pick, but maybe we can hit in the 1st round?

I'd much rather keep Thuney over Andrews. Thuney could slide into the Center position and the line of Wynn, Onwenu, Thuney, Mason, Herron would be damn good in it's run blocking. Particularly if they bring in a Young QB. And yes, I understand that keeping Thuney would require 15M+, but he's an All-Pro guard and could be just as good at center.

OH, you don't "SAVE" money by not signing a free agent. You just use the money elsewhere.

Losing Andrews and Eluemenor wouldn't be the end of the world. It would tax the O-line depth, but I have a feeling they're going to add a Center and an OT/OG during the draft.

I'd much rather keep Thuney over Andrews. Thuney could slide into the Center position and the line of Wynn, Onwenu, Thuney, Mason, Herron would be damn good in it's run blocking. Particularly if they bring in a Young QB. And yes, I understand that keeping Thuney would require 15M+, but he's an All-Pro guard and could be just as good at center.

OH, you don't "SAVE" money by not signing a free agent. You just use the money elsewhere.

Losing Andrews and Eluemenor wouldn't be the end of the world. It would tax the O-line depth, but I have a feeling they're going to add a Center and an OT/OG during the draft.
Do you think that we should franchise Thuney?

We got a second for jimmy. Why would you pay so much for stafford...

That’s an interesting idea. I’d love it if Thuney was ok with it. Andrews has some medical issues too and is a UFA also.

That’s an interesting idea. I’d love it if Thuney was ok with it. Andrews has some medical issues too and is a UFA also.

The issue is how much we are willing to pay Thuney. The choice may be Andrews at $7M or Thuney at $17M.

The issue is how much we are willing to pay Thuney. The choice may be Andrews at $7M or Thuney at $17M.
This. Also, while I’m sure BB enjoys Thuney, looks like he’s also got a soft spot for Andrews.

Knowing how his team manages the cap, I see them letting our FAs test the market and come back ala High with the Jets ( without the cupcakes). With the expected cap decrease, there will be lots of other team's castoffs who are cap casualties who may find that $10 million contract is gone and they will take $5 million over nothing..... I see BB going after them rather than the marque free agents....

This. Said another way, do we want Andrews and Hightower OR Thuney?

This. Said another way, do we want Andrews and Hightower OR Thuney?
It's not an either or situation. Let's stop pretending like it is.. Hightower is already under contract for next season while Andrews and Thuney are not. The Patriots also have close to 60M in projected cap space. And that is likely to go up if the rumor of Cannon retiring becomes fact.

It's not an either or situation. Let's stop pretending like it is.. Hightower is already under contract for next season while Andrews and Thuney are not. The Patriots also have close to 60M in projected cap space. And that is likely to go up if the rumor of Cannon retiring becomes fact.
Of course it isn't - no-one is pretending it is. The discussion is illustrative, figurative or exemplary, whichever phrase you like. Let's stop pretending like every discussion in life is literal.

We can afford to keep all 3 of them.
Agreed. But the point is that Thuney = 2 other really good players. Not saying I would let Thuney go, just pointing out it is not a 1 for 1 player swap when Thuney could get $17M+. BB loves OLine and DLine but I do not see him paying that much for Thuney.

Last edited:
Bengals will be aggressive for thuney. Better to get andrews and JC jackson for thuney cost. And there should be plenty of above average tackles / guard next year who will come at 5 million. So I think bill will play checkers in free agency. Only hope we don't whiff in the early rounds of draft again.

I like cam but if he fetches anything around 20m or more (MUCH rather 30 m ) I would easily let him walk for the comp pick and take a shot on brisset / trubisky / Winston as cheap reclamation projects instead plus a draft pick. I just can’t see someone who will likely finish with more picks than passing tds and a losing record demanding 30m but who knows. If cam can be back at 15 m or less plus incentives I’d probably welcome that and a pick.

I would like to keep Gilmore as it appears we couldn’t get much for him via trade. I believe the savings are around 10m (correct me if I wrong) but then you’re down a #1 cb, would rather have the #1 cb over 10m. Jcj is an Rfa, shouldn’t be hard to keep. Guy and Andrews should be resigned and could be costly. Think we need them big time. J. White or burk, Butler , Eleumunor, Byrd, Terez Hall id keep at the right price .

it’s difficult for me to see bb throwing that much money at a wr. I think ab was the biggest avg salary thrown at a wr unproven in the system and that was a one year risk deal for an incredible talent.

I think despite the cap room, do not be surprised if we are not players in early fa. Bb may sit back and splurge on the bargain bin with all the space. Cap wise it’s setting up a lot like the clear Cap space in 2000 and make your move in 2001 model though a title is unlikely barring striking gold at qb.
"I like Cam."

For once and for all: why? He "leads" the 29th-best passing offense. He's on track for 6 td passes, 14 ints. He sucks at the end of the game. His technique/footwork blows and is not getting any better. He doesn't SEE a d---d thing when he drops back. His accuracy leaves him unable reliably to complete even the easiest passes. His throwing mechanics look like a reel of failed trick shots. His only mastery is the mastery of the empty promise and the lame excuse. How about consistency? He has none. Do you really want a qb who can talk a good game but can't play one because he's too lazy to work at his actual craft, too baffled to learn an offense, to mentor a possible newbie? His qbr's are headed for single digits. Physically, he's obviously shot. Runs slow, can't throw. He's the black Ryan Mallet in ladies' millinery. This "I like Cam" stuff is pure delusion, incomprehensible to me. Not kidding. Why? What for?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back