Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you Expect to happen at QB in 2021?

• Cam Newton v2.0

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Jarrett Stidham

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pats draft a QB in rounds 1-2

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • A bridge QB (Dalton, Jacoby, Fitz), then draft a QB in 2022

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Draftee
Newton if cheap as backup / plan b
Stidham gets one more chance

id also be open to a jg trade vs the draftee, if he doesn’t cost too much and provided we have someone decent backing him up
I doubt Cam will be cheap. There's likely to be a GM out there who's really fond of pointless blather, endless excuses, and halloween pimp duds.

I gave Newton more benefit of the doubt than most around here, but my hopes for him have definitely taken a hit the last few weeks. That said, I'm optimistic for what a full offseason could do for him, and I don't know if we could expect any other free agent to be an upgrade. If we have a chance at acquiring Darnold though, I'd be interested. Hopefully the jets haven't completely ruined his career before moving on to Lawrence.
Oh dear. In the words of one of my favorite poets (and hardly anybody else's), ol' Alexander Pope in his "Essay on Man":

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
Man never is, but always to be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

I doubt Cam will be cheap. There's likely to be a GM out there who's really fond of pointless blather, endless excuses, and halloween pimp duds.

Nice compensatory pick if he gets 20M somewhere... If the price is around that id HOPE we don’t pay up barring him turning into superman the final quarter.

Oh dear. In the words of one of my favorite poets (and hardly anybody else's), ol' Alexander Pope in his "Essay on Man":

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
Man never is, but always to be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
FECKIN WICKED PISSAH!

Anybody have a link to live stream the BYU/CC game? Thanks.

I decided to read the "I'm on Team Stidham" thread from earlier in the year, and I'm beginning to think there's still a decent chance of this happening, especially since he got that injury during camp. I wonder if bringing Cam in to win more games than JS can during a rebuilding/bridge/whatever year helps with the below post from that thread by @Chevrolet :

"I hope the fans realize how much pressure this kid is under (to have to follow the Legend, the Goat). I do not envy him and hope fans will be a bit patient with him.
It should take him 2 years to get comfortable with reading NFL defenses."

Looking at Brady's 1st 3 games:
Last 2 mins: 5/10 for 46yds against the Jets after coming in for Bledsoe.
13/23 168yds (Colts - My memory keeps incorrectly thinking this was the Patten triple play game but that's not until later)
12/24 86 yds, 2 Fumbles (Dolphins)
He took off, relatively speaking the next game against the Flutie Chargers 33/54 for 364yds and 2TDs but still had 2 fumbles

I was tough on "Stiddy" or "Studham" before, but until his contract runs out, I'm willing to see where it goes. I guess we'll see if Cam continues to make a decently tasting milkshake with the occasional poop and lots of sugar. Still need to draft a QB, preferably high, but I'll let the experts do their thing.

(Sidenote: I think Lazar from CLNS is just great. No one's perfect, but I just learn a lot from this guy.)
Not an easy task to follow the greatest QB of all time with the GOAT coach on the sideline. Maybe Cam’s 2020 will work as a buffer for Stidham’s 2021...we shall see.

I’m not advocating, I’m merely guessing. Here are the QBs I figure are the most likely to start in 2021. In order of likelyhood :

(1) Cam
(2) Jimmy
(3) Stafford
(4) 2021 draft pick
(5) Stidham

I wasn’t a fan of signing Cam : but my reasons were off. I thought he’d be a me-first loudmouth. By all accounts, he’s been nothing but exemplary off the field. I heard media & fans cry about how there is no plan and such. Following Brady isn’t for the weak. Cam has run with it and his teammates seem to love him. He’s done little in terms of “quarterbacking”, but I don’t see it as the huge fail some do, based mostly on Cam’s behaviour and ability to follow the greatest QB ever.

Also, I wasn’t expecting Steve Young, but Stidham not being able to supplant Cam is telling.

Here is a list of the quarterbacks that will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the 2020 NFL year. There are not a whole lot of viable options for a bridge QB. Dollar amounts are the average per year of the player's current contracts.

Jerry Jones will not let another team outbid him for Prescott; the only way he leaves is if he cares more about getting away from JJ and Dallas.
Brissett is not going to get as big a contract as his last extension, but he may still be too expensive for a short term fill-in.
Overall there will be plenty of free agent quarterbacks, but very few are worthy of consideration.
Most are either too old, a poor fit, or simply not very good.

• Dak Prescott, 27; $31.41 million
  • Jacoby Brissett, 28; $27.98
  • Philip Rivers, 39; $25.00
  • Mitch Trubisky, 26; $7.26
  • Tyrod Taylor, 31; $5.50
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick, 38; $5.50
  • A.J. McCarron, 30; $4.00
  • Andy Dalton, 33; $3.00
  • Colt McCoy, 34; $2.25
  • Robert Griffin, 30; $2.00
  • Matt Barkley, 30, $2.00
  • Matt Schaub, 39; $1.89
  • Cam Newton, 31; $1.75
  • Nate Sudfeld, 27; $1.70
  • Joe Flacco, 35; $1.50
  • Ryan Griffin, 31; $1.45
  • Blaine Gabbert, 31; $1.19
  • Geno Smith, 30; $1.19
  • Mike Glennon, 31; $1.15
  • Jameis Winston, 26; $1.10
  • Brian Hoyer, 35; $1.05
  • Sean Mannion, 28; $1.05
  • Brett Hundley, 27; $1.05
  • Nathan Peterman, 26; $1.00
  • Trevor Siemian, 29; $0.91
  • C.J. Beathard, 27; $0.88
  • Brandon Allen, 28; $0.83
  • Joshua Dobbs, 25; $0.74
  • Tyler Bray, 29; $0.32
  • Practice Squad UFA QBs, $204k:
  • Kevin Hogan, 28
  • Josh Johnson, 34
  • Blake Bortles, 29
  • Cooper Rush, 27
  • Matt Moore, 36
  • DeShone Kizer, 24
I think Trubisky is someone to keep an eye on. The Bears might try to resign him but he is young and has some skills. Could be an intriguing option with some good coaching. Could come cheap as he try's to get his career together. I the Bears ruined him and his draft status put some unrealistic expectations on him

What's the going rate for non-throwing QBs?
Tebow was earning $2.25 mill per year on his rookie contract before his sh*t canning in 2011.
Bill clearly priced Cam accordingly :)

I think there's less than 0 chance the 9ers give up on Jimmy G after one bad year the year after he took them to the Superbowl. We didn't give up on Bledsoe after 2000 after all. In 2001 he was still the starter until he got hurt.

If the Pats have no use for Stidham then why is he still here?
He looks like he's improving.

If the Pats have no use for Stidham then why is he still here?
He looks like he's improving.

because there's nobody else.......they were throwing the ball while up >30 ...... he made some throws, but the needle didn't move much

I was listening to Bedard yesterday and he was saying that if the Pats move on from Newton it means they did not have a plan at QB and we will be in the same position next year with a new game manager type QB. It is baffling to me how smart people like Bedard who heard Bill say that he did not try to improve this team given the cap and that he signed Newton for a million bucks because he was dirt cheap and the last QB standing means that there was NO PLAN at QB this year. I mean Bill told us - NO PLAN. Taking a flyer on 2020, rebuild for 2021. So the question becomes, do we want another game manager type QB - Fitzpatrick, Newton, Smith for a year or two and then look to develop a young QB behind them OR do we want a 5-7 year QB like a Stafford or Jimmy G? I would much rather option one as I do not want a middler type QB like a Jimmy or Stafford for that long of a time. I would rather a bridge guy that can help bring a long a young QB and take our lumps for a year or two and then be ready with the next guy for a decade.

What do you guys want to see happen in terms of strategy?

People are so short sighted. If I hear the stupid argument "if Stidham was any good, he'd be starting" one more time.....
It has nothing to do with it! Ya'll keep talking about Cam following the Brady legend - and he's 6-5. If Stid was playing, and we lost 4 in a row, the hate and panic would be insane. But with Cam, we just assumed it. It's a new era, low expectations, little talent surrounding, etc...
You think BB doesn't get all that? This is no way to break in a young QB, and set him up for failure. But, Cam, an extremely self-confident, established MVP with a chip, can withstand this. The fact that Stidham isn't starting this year has nothing to do with whether or not BB thinks he's a potential for next year and beyond, or has what it takes to run this offense better than Cam. Watch the highlights of his time at KC again. Stid was moving the ball, offense was clicking... sure, he made some mistakes, as any backup would, but I defy anyone to say he doesn't show potential to be as good as most of the FA's out there.

People are so short sighted. If I hear the stupid argument "if Stidham was any good, he'd be starting" one more time.....
It has nothing to do with it! Ya'll keep talking about Cam following the Brady legend - and he's 6-5. If Stid was playing, and we lost 4 in a row, the hate and panic would be insane. But with Cam, we just assumed it. It's a new era, low expectations, little talent surrounding, etc...
You think BB doesn't get all that? This is no way to break in a young QB, and set him up for failure. But, Cam, an extremely self-confident, established MVP with a chip, can withstand this. The fact that Stidham isn't starting this year has nothing to do with whether or not BB thinks he's a potential for next year and beyond, or has what it takes to run this offense better than Cam. Watch the highlights of his time at KC again. Stid was moving the ball, offense was clicking... sure, he made some mistakes, as any backup would, but I defy anyone to say he doesn't show potential to be as good as most of the FA's out there.
Stidham would have gotten the same pass as Cam this year and Brady did last year. The skill guys are terrible. No one was expecting much, least of all for him to match prime Brady with this offense.

This is wishful thinking.

Even the people on here that like Cam the most, aren’t happy with his performance. If Stidham was really an improvement, Belichick could have started him at any point in the last 4 weeks and even if we lost people already had low expectation so they would get excited by improvement. Look at Chargers fans who are ecstatic with Herbert despite not winning yet.

If Bill Belichick truly think’s Stidham is the better option, he’s had more than enough excuses to start him.

If it was all part of some secret plan to shield him this year, why did he wait forever to pick up Newton? So if someone else took a chance on Newton for cheap we go back to this idea of sabotaging Stidham?

This simplest explanation is probably the correct one. Bill didn’t have much of a plan once Brady left, he wasn’t sold on Stidham so he grabbed Cam at the last minute, Cam won the job, now Bill thinks Cam is the better option.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back