Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you Expect to happen at QB in 2021?

• Cam Newton v2.0

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Jarrett Stidham

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pats draft a QB in rounds 1-2

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • A bridge QB (Dalton, Jacoby, Fitz), then draft a QB in 2022

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdlboot14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We always have the slim hope of a miracle situation like BB trading up in the draft for a legit QB prospect.
Or, pulling a blockbuster deal for someone like Watson or Jimmy G. But, my question is more realistic.
What is your gut sense for our starting QB next year, and why:
1. Newton
2. Stidham
3. Vet FA (ie: Dalton, Brissett)
4. 1st-2nd Round Draftee (ie: Wilson, Trask)

4. 1st-2nd Round Draftee (ie: Wilson, Trask, Mac Jones)

If you draft a young player he will almost certainly -- unless due to injuries or absolutely blowing the other options away in practice despite being a rookie -- not see the field for his entire rookie year. Which means you will need a veteran option anyhow.

There won't be anyone available in FA who imo is a significantly more consistent option than Newton. At this point you kinda know what you get with him. Overall average level play that can gave good-to-great days but also stinkers and at the same time an absolute leader and great personality in the locker room.

Bottomline is if you want to potentially upgrade on him you will have to spent draft picks in a trade.

Unless Newton just prices himself out of reasonable range it makes the most sense to me to extend him on a sensible 1-2 year deal and draft a young player to develop behind and reassess in a year. Keep in mind that we are talking about a rebuilding team that can compete for the playoffs and not a heavy weight contender.

Wilson or bust :cool:

We always have the slim hope of a miracle situation like BB trading up in the draft for a legit QB prospect.
Or, pulling a blockbuster deal for someone like Watson or Jimmy G. But, my question is more realistic.
1. Newton
2. Stidham

2. Stidham is not an upgrade over Newton.
3. Depends who is available. I'm not that impressed with the FA list for QBs. Dalton and Brissett who you named are not upgrades over Newton. Dak would be but I doubt he's coming here.
4. Other than Lawence and maybe Fields, none are starter worthy in the short term. There's a good chance they'll all really suck in year 1 and I don't think the fanbase has patience to stick with a young QB. It's been a very long time since we had one who we hope is the long term answer.

So to answer your question - probably Cam unless say, JG is sprung loose from SF.

Last edited:
I gave Newton more benefit of the doubt than most around here, but my hopes for him have definitely taken a hit the last few weeks. That said, I'm optimistic for what a full offseason could do for him, and I don't know if we could expect any other free agent to be an upgrade. If we have a chance at acquiring Darnold though, I'd be interested. Hopefully the jets haven't completely ruined his career before moving on to Lawrence.

Wilson or Trask

1. Newton
2. Stidham
A) Our starting QB will be a veteran. I'm not sure that Belichick would start any rookie in Game One. He should draft one in the first or 2nd.
B) Newton may or may not be replaced by another veteran, I just don't know. That depends on who is available, the price, what Bill think of Newton, and cap situations on those re-signed and singed as free agents.
C) Stidham may or may not be in camp. I suspect that he will be there, competing to be the #3 QB.
D) Blockbuster trade for Jimmy G???? Did we hire another coach. Jimmy G isn't worth a blockbuster trade to Belichick. BTW, comparing him to Watson is just plain silly, IMO. He should be in the other list with Brissett, who would be OK as an upgrade, if the price is right, and Bill agrees that he is an upgrade.

If we have a shot at Wilson or sth like him in the draft i don't see enough reason why they couldn't play better than Newton if he is our vet or other options there. Don't expect them to start in year 1 though to inexperience and learning the offense needs time. A young qb like Wilson or Lance would be worth the shot in my opinion, i am not sure newton improves his weaknesses a lot and if that is the case we need someone else to take over. The best weapons don't produce when the qb play is poor

Brisket, Dalton, fitzmagic are all upgrades over newton...I prefer Brisket as he has experience in the system

The better QB is going to play. BB named FCS rookie QB Jimmy Garoppolo the backup over 4th year vet Ryan Mallett because he was better. Ditto for UDFA rookie Brian Hoyer.

I think there's a chance they want QB3-4 in this draft as (Fields, Wilson or Lance) those prospects would usually go #1 or #2 overall. It would probably cost moving up from 13-15 to 6-8. Not overly expensive.

In that scenario a rookie would compete with a cheap veteran. One of the advantages of a QB on a rookie deal is the ability to stack your team elsewhere. You defeat the purpose by paying a vet sizeable money along with a high pick. I'd expect one of the franchise prospects to beat out a journeyman.

The better QB is going to play. BB named FCS rookie QB Jimmy Garoppolo the backup over 4th year vet Ryan Mallett because he was better. Ditto for UDFA rookie Brian Hoyer.

I think there's a chance they want QB3-4 in this draft as (Fields, Wilson or Lance) those prospects would usually go #1 or #2 overall. It would probably cost moving up from 13-15 to 6-8. Not overly expensive.

In that scenario a rookie would compete with a cheap veteran. One of the advantages of a QB on a rookie deal is the ability to stack your team elsewhere. You defeat the purpose by paying a vet sizeable money along with a high pick. I'd expect one of the franchise prospects to beat out a journeyman.
If Bill want the #4 QB in the draft, that's fine. Even then, he would need to get past WAS.

Draftee
Newton if cheap as backup / plan b
Stidham gets one more chance

id also be open to a jg trade vs the draftee, if he doesn’t cost too much and provided we have someone decent backing him up

It's going to be a combo. A veteran bridge QB plus a draftee (hopefully in the 1st round). Then hopefully the rookie sits for the majority of the season, unless the veteran struggles big time.

My gut says it's Cam again. Aside from that I would guess he swings a trade for a Stafford or Matt Ryan type player pending some sort of contract adjustments.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back