PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 QB Pool

Just not sure I see much upside. Hasn’t had a good season since 2016. He could be good, but he needs a lot of work.

Oh it would definitely require some work, a lot of buy-in from the player himself and a clear plan. But that one intrigues me more than most of the FA names that are being thrown around because at least I can visualize the fit if things don't fall apart.

Based on who is in front of us in the draft.

1. Jets are definitley getting a QB

2. Jaguars are definitley getting a QB

3. Panther's will very likely get a QB

4. If a decent QB falls to the Falcons it will probably be time for them to think of life beyond Ryan

5. Broncos are almost guaranteed to go QB this draft.

6. Washington might get boxed out if they make the playoffs.... but Alex Smith is 36 and he likely won't be around by the end of a rookie contract

7. Eagles if someone falls to them are probable to go QB even though they have Hurts

8. Giants are in a similar situation as the other teams in their division in that they will either make the playoffs or probably will address a QB.

Lawerence/Fields/Lance will be the first 3 QB's to go. I think the Jets/Jaguars/Broncos snag them. Panthers will most likely take a 4th off the board. Are chances are really dependent on what the Falcons/and remaining NFC East teams do and if Bill is willing to take the 5th or 6th best QB prospect in the draft in the mid first round.

I feel like I disagree with most of these... Jets yes, Jags yes, Broncos probably, but otherwise...

• Panthers seem committed to Teddy financially and otherwise. Seems weird to spend on him and then use your first rounder the very next year on his replacement... more likely they seek a trade backwards to build around him. They're not far off from being good and Bridgewater is not the problem.
  • Would be pretty costly for the Falcons to dump Ryan. I can see it I guess but I would have to lean more towards it being unlikely than likely.
  • One of Washington or NYG will get bumped out for making the playoffs. I am going to say Washington, most likely. So they aren't in reach of a QB.
  • Eagles are gonna commit to Hurts, I can feel it. It would look monumentally stupid to pay a huge contract out for Wentz, then within 2 years bench him for a guy you just drafted in the 2nd round, just to then draft ANOTHER QB in the first round the very next season. Way too much capital tied up in QBs.
  • Giants - I would have agreed a few weeks ago - but it feels like they are gonna stay committed to Jones, especially if he plays well these next few games.

So overall - I may be wrong on some of that but I think that cumulatively there will not be a huge race for QBs and demand will be less than some other years, so the cost to move will hopefully be semi-reasonable if the Pats wish to do so.

I feel like I disagree with most of these... Jets yes, Jags yes, Broncos probably, but otherwise...

• Panthers seem committed to Teddy financially and otherwise. Seems weird to spend on him and then use your first rounder the very next year on his replacement... more likely they seek a trade backwards to build around him. They're not far off from being good and Bridgewater is not the problem.
  • Would be pretty costly for the Falcons to dump Ryan. I can see it I guess but I would have to lean more towards it being unlikely than likely.
  • One of Washington or NYG will get bumped out for making the playoffs. I am going to say Washington, most likely. So they aren't in reach of a QB.
  • Eagles are gonna commit to Hurts, I can feel it. It would look monumentally stupid to pay a huge contract out for Wentz, then within 2 years bench him for a guy you just drafted in the 2nd round, just to then draft ANOTHER QB in the first round the very next season. Way too much capital tied up in QBs.
  • Giants - I would have agreed a few weeks ago - but it feels like they are gonna stay committed to Jones, especially if he plays well these next few games.

So overall - I may be wrong on some of that but I think that cumulatively there will not be a huge race for QBs and demand will be less than some other years, so the cost to move will hopefully be semi-reasonable if the Pats wish to do so.

jones was beyond terrible Sunday, he is going to need to show a lot for them to stay committed to him.

Any cap-ologists on here know what it would take to get Carson Wentz as far cap hit to the Pats under his current contract? Philly is far over the cap next year that they may give someone a draft pick just to take Wentz. After the trade there could be a restructuring of his contract.
He could be the Jim Plunkett reclamation project at no cost to acquire him other than (albeit big) money

I'd sign Trubisky as FA (but if we're honest, he'd be the same as Stidham, so I'd rather keep Stid on a rookie deal)
I'd trade for Jimmy G (he fits exactly what a JMD system needs, but caveat is injury prone)
I'd draft Wilson, Lance or Jones (it's a crapshoot who develops into the franchise guy, so bet on the coaching and Pats program)

Listed below.....all non-playoff teams with equal or worse record than NE as of today.
Which of these teams will Definitely, Possibly, Won't draft a QB

NE 6-7..........Def

Min 6-7........Won't
Chi 6-7.........Poss....future not on roster
Den 5-8.......Poss.....not working
Det 5-8........Poss.....eye on future
SF 5-8...........Poss....losing faith in Jimmy Glass
NYG 5-8......Poss.....Team not Jonesing
Phi 4-8-1.....Poss....but unlikely
Hou 4-9.......Won't
LAC 4-9........Won't
Dal 4-9.........Poss....Or pay the injured middling FA QB supermax $$$
Atl 4-9.........Poss....eye on future
Car 4-9.........Poss....Bridgewater is bridge only
Cin 2-11.......Won't
Jax 1-12.......Def
NYJ 0-13......Def

My point:
The 8-8 or 7-9 Pats likely won't be in a position to draft a 1st round graded QB considering potentially 11 teams ahead of NE may have eyes on a QB

Listed below.....all non-playoff teams with equal or worse record than NE as of today.
Which of these teams will Definitely, Possibly, Won't draft a QB

NE 6-7..........Def

Min 6-7........Won't
Chi 6-7.........Poss....future not on roster
Den 5-8.......Poss.....not working
Det 5-8........Poss.....eye on future
SF 5-8...........Poss....losing faith in Jimmy Glass
NYG 5-8......Poss.....Team not Jonesing
Phi 4-8-1.....Poss....but unlikely
Hou 4-9.......Won't
LAC 4-9........Won't
Dal 4-9.........Poss....Or pay the injured middling FA QB supermax $$$
Atl 4-9.........Poss....eye on future
Car 4-9.........Poss....Bridgewater is bridge only
Cin 2-11.......Won't
Jax 1-12.......Def
NYJ 0-13......Def

My point:
The 8-8 or 7-9 Pats likely won't be in a position to draft a 1st round graded QB considering potentially 11 teams ahead of NE may have eyes on a QB
This post made me realize the Pats are only two games ahead of the team with the 4th overall pick, wow.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

I agree with all of this bar Washington - they'll either have the same or a record worse than ours and are probably more likely to trade up than us for a QB too. I'd be surprised if they go into next year with Smith/Allen.

I agree with all of this bar Washington - they'll either have the same or a record worse than ours and are probably more likely to trade up than us for a QB too. I'd be surprised if they go into next year with Smith/Allen.
Playoff teams are seeded at the bottom though, so if they win their division (which is what I expect here) they will be at pick 19 I believe.

The Lions may be moving on from Stafford. Might be a good bridge QB to help us actually win while we find a new QB in the draft.

We are currently drafting at number 16. It is doubtful any impact qb’s will be available.

ideally jimmy g is let go by San Fran and we rush in and sign him. Then we can let newton walk, show hoyer the door and draft ridder of cincy in the fourth round.

I’d give my left testicle for Zach Wilson. I watched a couple of his games this year, and he’s gonna be good soon in the NFL...

We are currently drafting at number 16. It is doubtful any impact qb’s will be available.

ideally jimmy g is let go by San Fran and we rush in and sign him. Then we can let newton walk, show hoyer the door and draft ridder of cincy in the fourth round.
Are we barred from trading up. Personally, I suspect this to be a better idea than looking for another 4th rounder to be the answer. Of course, this presumes that there is someone that Bill wants beyond the first two, which are out of reach.

I kinda like the idea of Gardner Minshew. Can’t believe I didn’t put much thought into it sooner.

I would like to see how he would perform with a little more competence surrounding him.

I kinda like the idea of Gardner Minshew. Can’t believe I didn’t put much thought into it sooner.

I would like to see how he would perform with a little more competence surrounding him.

Agree. Both Minshew and Brissett are like 35TD / 10 INT on their NFL careers. Smart passers who take care of the ball. Would be totally up for one of these 2 guys if Mac Jones gets taken.

Are we barred from trading up. Personally, I suspect this to be a better idea than looking for another 4th rounder to be the answer. Of course, this presumes that there is someone that Bill wants beyond the first two, which are out of reach.
And who could bb possibly be interested in trading up for?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back