PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 QB Pool

Yeah Brissett isn't a guy that should be starting in this league, showed it in his Colts stint. Wasn't all that with us either although in that 16-0 Bills game he really shouldn't have been playing with that injured thumb.

2008 and this year proves that BB/JMD can be competitive with any QB. So, any decent vet who protects the ball and has an arm and quick mind to make the throws could do well with this team next year. We don't need the high profile, big $ FA. And, I'm always pulling for our home grown guys. I honestly think Stid would be as good an option as 80% of the FA's out there, until he proves otherwise. I also think if we resign Cam to a 2-3 year deal, he'll be exactly what he is now, and he'll be benched by mid-next season. May as well get a few good options (FA, draft, Stid) and see which pans out. Its all a risk anyway.

if pitts or d. smith are there do we take the sixth qb. think i'd rather have one of those top two receivers and go with a bridge qb but i know bb will be looking d or trading back. especially to recoup that 3rd.

Ehhh Brisett is not worth it. He's not starter material and he proved that in Indianapolis. Good kid and good leader, but the dude was given alot in Indy and they had a losing record while Luck and Rivers before and after him both had that team in the playoffs with a double digit win seasons (I'm boldly assuming Rivers can beat the Jaguars and Texans). I mean maybe if the only expectation is him as a back up if there is a worst case scenario.

But Brissett was given a 2 year 30 million dollar contract and I'm pretty sure we can extend Cam for less if we want a back up who can at least win a few games.

It's also not really addressing the primary issue anyways. We need a real starter. Honestly the only one's I could kinda see being worth it in free agency is Winston and MAYBE Dalton.

Dak won't be there and if he is he is going to ask for a fortune and we won't pay it. Stafford likewise is going to want a win now team and a huge contract that is loaded with guarantees. Ryan and Wentz both have toxic contracts.

Really if we can trade up in the draft we should start thinking about it
Well that’s my point. The idea would be to have a young QB of the future and Brissett be the bridge. He’s a younger more healthy option than Cam.

Woody is usually dead on the money for Broncos draft picks. So you can pretty much consider Jones gone if he is there and if he’s not still consider Denver as a team taking a QB.

That pretty much guarantees that we are at best getting the 4th highest QB. Good news is, if we can trade up we can probably either get Lance or Fields.

Assume

Jets: Lawrence.

Jaguars: Fields/Lance?

Broncos: Jones

My guess would be if we don’t get whoever is not taken by the Jags, Bill is going to pass on a QB in round one. Unless there is a trade up.

I really just see too many potentials spoilers. Especially the NFC East teams. Even the Cowboys could want a QB if they want leverage on Dak for a year.

Trading up might make sense. Especially that Chargers pick

Woody is usually dead on the money for Broncos draft picks. So you can pretty much consider Jones gone if he is there and if he’s not still consider Denver as a team taking a QB.

That pretty much guarantees that we are at best getting the 4th highest QB. Good news is, if we can trade up we can probably either get Lance or Fields.

Assume

Jets: Lawrence.

Jaguars: Fields/Lance?

Broncos: Jones

My guess would be if we don’t get whoever is not taken by the Jags, Bill is going to pass on a QB in round one. Unless there is a trade up.

I really just see too many potentials spoilers. Especially the NFC East teams. Even the Cowboys could want a QB if they want leverage on Dak for a year.

Trading up might make sense. Especially that Chargers pick

I’d argue it’s a little early to make that proclamation for Denver. There hasn’t been a combine yet and we don’t even know who’s declaring vs. not declaring since the season isn’t over yet.

Denver will pick the tallest QB if we go on the past drafting record of Elway. (joke).

I think Bill will want to address other roster holes in the first round (or likely trade down for more picks) than spend draft capital on a 5th/6th rated QB.

If I am Dallas I say goodbye to Dak - Jerry Jones messed up contract negotiations with him and he's been wildly expensive and will continue to be so because they didn't tie him to a long term contract when they could have done. Dak has been so much better than recent QBs the Cowboys have had but I'd struggle to put him in the top 10 QBs in the league.

There's often a run on QBs in the first round and it's not an exact science to get the best player at that position. Two years ago in the 2018 draft teams were giddy about the four QBs going in the top 10. Baker, Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen. None of them have excelled. Josh Allen looks possibly the best but you have to question how good he'll be against a top defence. Yet Lamar Jackson at the last pick of the round is probably going to have a better career than all of them. I mean the Jets will select a QB number one overall just three drafts after picking Darnold and Arizona dumped Rosen and picked a QB number one overall a year later. What a waste of a high draft pick with their original selections.

Denver will pick the tallest QB if we go on the past drafting record of Elway. (joke).

I think Bill will want to address other roster holes in the first round (or likely trade down for more picks) than spend draft capital on a 5th/6th rated QB.

If I am Dallas I say goodbye to Dak - Jerry Jones messed up contract negotiations with him and he's been wildly expensive and will continue to be so because they didn't tie him to a long term contract when they could have done. Dak has been so much better than recent QBs the Cowboys have had but I'd struggle to put him in the top 10 QBs in the league.

There's often a run on QBs in the first round and it's not an exact science to get the best player at that position. Two years ago in the 2018 draft teams were giddy about the four QBs going in the top 10. Baker, Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen. None of them have excelled. Josh Allen looks possibly the best but you have to question how good he'll be against a top defence. Yet Lamar Jackson at the last pick of the round is probably going to have a better career than all of them. I mean the Jets will select a QB number one overall just three drafts after picking Darnold and Arizona dumped Rosen and picked a QB number one overall a year later. What a waste of a high draft pick with their original selections.
The big issue with this is that I think it's more likely than not that 4-5 QB's go first round and then Bill has to kinda hope that 5 (if we are lucky) and 6 are still around at our 2nd round pick. Which may not be likely. Remember that it's not out of the question for a team to trade up that see's a chance at nabbing a future QB. I could completely see Detroit or Atlanta being a sneaky QB pick as well.

I just see alot of need out there.

I’d argue it’s a little early to make that proclamation for Denver. There hasn’t been a combine yet and we don’t even know who’s declaring vs. not declaring since the season isn’t over yet.
If Woody is saying it, it is definitley a discussion going on in the building there and a prominent one for him to come out publicly. He's been correct on all the past Denver drafts

If Woody is saying it, it is definitley a discussion going on in the building there and a prominent one for him to come out publicly. He's been correct on all the past Denver drafts
But at what point was he correct in past years? Was he correct in December or was he correct in March?

But at what point was he correct in past years? Was he correct in December or was he correct in March?
I’d have to look it up. But the point is that he’s connected within that organization. If he’s saying it publicly, he’s not guessing. And really, the Broncos were a team that was likely to go QB in the first round anyways and the choices were probably Lance/Field/Jones because beating us killed their shot at Lawrence. One of the first two is getting taken by the Jaguars.

Our best case scenario was always that we were going to get the 4th highest rated QB in the draft.

FA- Brissett
Trade- Jimmy G
Draft- Trask
Jimmy G is very unlikely to be on the market. There are no rumors out of Santa Clara suggesting a trade is even being considered, the Jimmy G content on this forum is purely fueled by Patriots fans wanting to undo the 2016 trade. At this point I'd say it's about 95% confirmed that Jimmy G is not leaving the 9ers.

No franchise in the world would trade its franchise QB a year after he took them to the Superbowl, especially after an injury when his trde value is at its lowest. They're not trading him for any price Bill would pay. He's too important to what the 9ers are trying to do right now.

Jimmy G is very unlikely to be on the market. There are no rumors out of Santa Clara suggesting a trade is even being considered, the Jimmy G content on this forum is purely fueled by Patriots fans wanting to undo the 2016 trade. At this point I'd say it's about 95% confirmed that Jimmy G is not leaving the 9ers.

No franchise in the world would trade its franchise QB a year after he took them to the Superbowl, especially after an injury when his trde value is at its lowest. They're not trading him for any price Bill would pay. He's too important to what the 9ers are trying to do right now.
While I generally agree with your words and I think Jimmy G will remain with the 49ers the huge contract they gave him after five starts when he went 5-0 is essentially three full years and then two option years for the team. He's currently worth 12.8% of the 49ers' 2020 cap space.

The 49ers are due to pay Jimmy $26.9 million in 2021 and $27 million in 2022. Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reports Jimmy has a has a no-trade clause in his contract for the 2021 league year which means the 49ers can't trade Garoppolo without his permission until March of 2022. Of course he can still be traded but he's got to agree to it.

The option years in 2021 and 2022 were inserted to protect the team I think. I've read it only costs $2.8 million to cut him in 2021 when Garoppolo will have a $32.5 million hit, and the 49ers will have a chance to save $18.5 million by cutting him.

I think it will come down to do the coach and GM believe they can win the Super Bowl going forward with Jimmy at those expensive salaries in the next two years? If they do they keep him. If they don't they cut him and use the salary cap on other player and perhaps they go for a rookie QB from the 1st round who Kyle Shanahan specifically wants as his QB.

TLDR: Jimmy is likely to be with 49ers QB for at least the next two seasons and it's not like any back-up QB on the roster is making it a hard decision. BUT the GM and coach may feel injuries have robbed Jimmy of part of his talent and he's just not worth that much money in a salary cap sport.

While I generally agree with your words and I think Jimmy G will remain with the 49ers the huge contract they gave him after five starts when he went 5-0 is essentially three full years and then two option years for the team. He's currently worth 12.8% of the 49ers' 2020 cap space.

The 49ers are due to pay Jimmy $26.9 million in 2021 and $27 million in 2022. Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reports Jimmy has a has a no-trade clause in his contract for the 2021 league year which means the 49ers can't trade Garoppolo without his permission until March of 2022. Of course he can still be traded but he's got to agree to it.

The option years in 2021 and 2022 were inserted to protect the team I think. I've read it only costs $2.8 million to cut him in 2021 when Garoppolo will have a $32.5 million hit, and the 49ers will have a chance to save $18.5 million by cutting him.

I think it will come down to do the coach and GM believe they can win the Super Bowl going forward with Jimmy at those expensive salaries in the next two years? If they do they keep him. If they don't they cut him and use the salary cap on other player and perhaps they go for a rookie QB from the 1st round who Kyle Shanahan specifically wants as his QB.

TLDR: Jimmy is likely to be with 49ers QB for at least the next two seasons and it's not like any back-up QB on the roster is making it a hard decision. BUT the GM and coach may feel injuries have robbed Jimmy of part of his talent and he's just not worth that much money in a salary cap sposport
I think much of the speculation of him being available comes from salary cap implications. If the NFL reduces the cap down to a predicted 175M, then many teams will be in a serious bind. Releasing or trading your most expensive player makes some instant cap relief.

FA: Mullens
Trade: Stafford
Draft: Mac Jones

I think much of the speculation of him being available comes from salary cap implications. If the NFL reduces the cap down to a predicted 175M, then many teams will be in a serious bind. Releasing or trading your most expensive player makes some instant cap relief.
Yeah, but you don't deliberately make holes at the top of your roster in order to solve a cap crunch. Cap casualties are your middle depth, not your top guys.

If Stidham isn't the answer I'd take anyone off the FA list except Cam or Winston.
I'd take anyone off the next list except Wentz.
I have no idea about the college QBs. I stopped following the NCAA years ago.

Jimmy G is made of glass hard pass. Trade for Stafford. Need to get him a WR1 and TE if we do get him in free agency.

Draft defensive front!!!

I am also a Stafford supporter

I didn't watch the game, but how do y'all feel about Trask after that loss last night?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back