Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you Expect to happen at QB in 2021?

• Cam Newton v2.0

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Jarrett Stidham

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pats draft a QB in rounds 1-2

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • A bridge QB (Dalton, Jacoby, Fitz), then draft a QB in 2022

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact is that even an elite coach needs an elite QB to win.

BB was terrible with the Browns because he didn't have the QB.
He comes to New England and he gets Bledsoe and then Brady. BOOM Championships!

Look at Andy Reid in KC. He was always known as the coach who couldn't get over the playoff hump.
Then they draft Mahomes.
Suddenly BOOM championship! Now Reid is a genius. But the fact is he has a generational talent at QB on his hands.

BB is gonna need to find the next Brady equivalent if he wants to return to the Superbowl.
Cam Newton has been a fine stopgap. But as we've seen he's not Russell Wilson nor Tom Brady.

Patriots have a great defense and a bad offense. We're not going far until we get that elite QB. I'd say we need to look in the draft.
Hopefully we can get lucky.
I don’t think the Patriots have a great defense at all this year.

The problems I think are fixable this offseason. I think this is where the focus will be not on QB. Bill has a lot of work to do.

I see my man Bisquick as an upgrade over Newton but I'll take Newton at a friendlier cap deal for one more year as our newly drafter QB learns the system.

These next two years have a good amount talent. Probably 8-10 1st round prospects. Lots of young talent, might be a little drought in terms of depth from 23-24. I think both are similar tbh. Big prizes in Lawrence & Rattler. Then in 2021 guys like Wilson, Lance, Fields and a bunch of guys who could wait until 2022. Jones, Ridder, Strong, Corral Etc. So 2022 could be special. You got Rattler who looks like Kyler Murray's brother at times. He could be great. Then Howell, Slovis, etc who have all flashed, produced & looked outstanding at times. 2022 looks legit and actually could be very deep. A guy like Ridder could come back. Carson Strong who I think we'll like, he could come out this year. Jurkovec. Penix another guy I think we'll like but got hurt this year. Gunnell.

Lawrence is the big prize so some might automatically give 2021 the nod and it's great but 2022 could be filthy good.

The kid from Oregon is special as well. I would wait for 2022. Trade up and get your QB. Load up this year with players in need specially defensively and offensively.

We have been VERY fortunate to have Newton. Without him, I think we are 2-9 right now.....
If you're trying to get your QB of the future, 2–9 isn't a terrible place to be.

One could argue that bringing Newton in was a mistake because it puts the Patriots right in the middle: not good enough to be a SB contender, but not bad enough to get a top draft pick.

Here is a list of the quarterbacks that will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the 2020 NFL year. There are not a whole lot of viable options for a bridge QB. Dollar amounts are the average per year of the player's current contracts.

Jerry Jones will not let another team outbid him for Prescott; the only way he leaves is if he cares more about getting away from JJ and Dallas.
Brissett is not going to get as big a contract as his last extension, but he may still be too expensive for a short term fill-in.
Overall there will be plenty of free agent quarterbacks, but very few are worthy of consideration.
Most are either too old, a poor fit, or simply not very good.

• Dak Prescott, 27; $31.41 million
  • Jacoby Brissett, 28; $27.98
  • Philip Rivers, 39; $25.00
  • Mitch Trubisky, 26; $7.26
  • Tyrod Taylor, 31; $5.50
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick, 38; $5.50
  • A.J. McCarron, 30; $4.00
  • Andy Dalton, 33; $3.00
  • Colt McCoy, 34; $2.25
  • Robert Griffin, 30; $2.00
  • Matt Barkley, 30, $2.00
  • Matt Schaub, 39; $1.89
  • Cam Newton, 31; $1.75
  • Nate Sudfeld, 27; $1.70
  • Joe Flacco, 35; $1.50
  • Ryan Griffin, 31; $1.45
  • Blaine Gabbert, 31; $1.19
  • Geno Smith, 30; $1.19
  • Mike Glennon, 31; $1.15
  • Jameis Winston, 26; $1.10
  • Brian Hoyer, 35; $1.05
  • Sean Mannion, 28; $1.05
  • Brett Hundley, 27; $1.05
  • Nathan Peterman, 26; $1.00
  • Trevor Siemian, 29; $0.91
  • C.J. Beathard, 27; $0.88
  • Brandon Allen, 28; $0.83
  • Joshua Dobbs, 25; $0.74
  • Tyler Bray, 29; $0.32
  • Practice Squad UFA QBs, $204k:
  • Kevin Hogan, 28
  • Josh Johnson, 34
  • Blake Bortles, 29
  • Cooper Rush, 27
  • Matt Moore, 36
  • DeShone Kizer, 24

If you're trying to get your QB of the future, 2–9 isn't a terrible place to be.

One could argue that bringing Newton in was a mistake because it puts the Patriots right in the middle: not good enough to be a SB contender, but not bad enough to get a top draft pick.

Yeah, that's true...but this team has a lot of talent...we just can't tank with DMac, Gilmore, etc...on the roster....

The fact is that even an elite coach needs an elite QB to win.

BB was terrible with the Browns because he didn't have the QB.
He comes to New England and he gets Bledsoe and then Brady. BOOM Championships!

Look at Andy Reid in KC. He was always known as the coach who couldn't get over the playoff hump.
Then they draft Mahomes.
Suddenly BOOM championship! Now Reid is a genius. But the fact is he has a generational talent at QB on his hands.

BB is gonna need to find the next Brady equivalent if he wants to return to the Superbowl.
Cam Newton has been a fine stopgap. But as we've seen he's not Russell Wilson nor Tom Brady.

Patriots have a great defense and a bad offense. We're not going far until we get that elite QB. I'd say we need to look in the draft.
Hopefully we can get lucky.

if bb wanted a franchise qb all he had to do was go 0 and 16 this year.

our defense in 2020 is not elite. A lot of holes, but they have been playing better once the big guys got healthy.

I love the concept of a "bridge quarterback." This is what happens with a "bridge quarterback."

1607060001107.png

Newton is most likely, Jimmy G is probably up there, though, as I'm not sure he is going to be in SF much longer. I wouldn't be exactly thrilled with either choice but if he could miraculously play like, idk, 60% of a season Jimmy would probably be a better fit in this offense than Cam.

Cam's almost certainly not the answer but the increasingly abysmal offensive tools we have for him to work with aren't exactly helping.

I don't think we'll draft a QB in rounds 1-2 this year because we need a QB and when we need a position in the draft we don't draft that position it's like some weird law. We'll trade down and add 2 DBs and a LB.

Newton is most likely, Jimmy G is probably up there, though, as I'm not sure he is going to be in SF much longer. I wouldn't be exactly thrilled with either choice but if he could miraculously play like, idk, 60% of a season Jimmy would probably be a better fit in this offense than Cam.

Cam's almost certainly not the answer but the increasingly abysmal offensive tools we have for him to work with aren't exactly helping.

I don't think we'll draft a QB in rounds 1-2 this year because we need a QB and when we need a position in the draft we don't draft that position it's like some weird law. We'll trade down and add 2 DBs and a LB.
I get this fear, there's history to back this up. What we don't have though, is history of BB being HC with such a question mark at the QB position.

He's flirted with Mayfield & Herbert and hates over paying players (is he really gonna give Jimmy more than he was giving Brady recently with his injury record?), so i'm actually quite curious for the 2021 draft. We may all be pleasantly surprised.

I feel like it's just the opposite. We draft for need all the time, a lot of teams do. As long as value & need meet there's no problem. That's actually a staple of how New England drafts. Need + Value + Culture/System fit.

Look at this year's class for example. Dugger, Uche, Jennings ... Hopefully, seemingly, replacing Chung, KVN and I won't say HT bc he's such a beast but hopefully Jennings can help fill the void in some areas.
The tight ends were a huge need.
Harry was a need pick imo but we definitely had a high grade bc of where we pick him.

I'm not saying we only draft on need. There are other factors like I listed above and I think value is key but I think both play a big role. Along with being "win now" prospects. Guys that can hopefully come in right away. Play a role. Contribute and develop. Not a ton of projects.

Last edited:
if bb wanted a franchise qb all he had to do was go 0 and 16 this year.

our defense in 2020 is not elite. A lot of holes, but they have been playing better once the big guys got healthy.
And then Bill would not be the coach of this team next year. Rightfully so.

Then without Bill we'll have plenty of opportunities to go 0-16 for the next several years.

Yeah, that's true...but this team has a lot of talent...we just can't tank with DMac, Gilmore, etc...on the roster....

We're a few bounces of the ball away from having a top 10 or bottom 5 record. I'd rather at least try for the former. Before the season I was ambivalent about the idea of tanking, but having watched 6 losses already this year, **** that. I want to see the Patriots win.

Tanking (as in losing games on purpose to improve your draft position) = cheating.

I'd rather not see my team be on the radar for that again.

I actually see Stid as very similar to Jimmy G - but without the proven success, big ticket $, OR injury history.
I don't want Cam for another 1-2 years of underwhelming "bridge" QB, but I don't think a rookie is the answer for 2021 either.
So, why not this:
1. Stid as 2021 starter - who will have had 2 full years under his belt - to be the "bridge" guy.
2. AND either keep Cam as the cheap vet backup, OR bring in a Nate Sudfeld / Dalton / Glennon vet to compete.
3. AND draft the best QB possible in the 1st round.

But this only works if they give Stid a legit shot as a starter for the last 3-4 games. If he completely sucks, then cut #1 from the list and continue.

What does it say about my football acumen if I think Jarrett Stidham has a decent chance at starting for the Patriots at QB in 2021.
I decided to read the "I'm on Team Stidham" thread from earlier in the year, and I'm beginning to think there's still a decent chance of this happening, especially since he got that injury during camp. I wonder if bringing Cam in to win more games than JS can during a rebuilding/bridge/whatever year helps with the below post from that thread by @Chevrolet :

"I hope the fans realize how much pressure this kid is under (to have to follow the Legend, the Goat). I do not envy him and hope fans will be a bit patient with him.​
It should take him 2 years to get comfortable with reading NFL defenses."​

Looking at Brady's 1st 3 games:
  • Last 2 mins: 5/10 for 46 yds against the Jets after coming in for Bledsoe.
  • 13/23 168 yds (Colts - My memory keeps incorrectly thinking this was the Patten triple play game but that's not until later)
  • 12/24 86 yds, 2 Fumbles (Dolphins)
  • He took off, relatively speaking the next game against the Flutie Chargers 33/54 for 364 yds and 2 TDs but still had 2 fumbles

I was tough on "Stiddy" or "Studham" before, but until his contract runs out, I'm willing to see where it goes. I guess we'll see if Cam continues to make a decently tasting milkshake with the occasional poop and lots of sugar. Still need to draft a QB, preferably high, but I'll let the experts do their thing.

(Sidenote: I think Lazar from CLNS is just great. No one's perfect, but I just learn a lot from this guy.)

You cant compare the NFL in 2001 to the NFL in 2020. It is hardly even the same sort at this point.

And then Bill would not be the coach of this team next year. Rightfully so.

Then without Bill we'll have plenty of opportunities to go 0-16 for the next several years.

why would happy endings Robert get rid of bb for securing the draft rights to the best qb to come along since Peyton?

Belichick doesn't deliberately ignore positions of need in the draft. It's just that he doesn't take need into account when drafting.

We always have the slim hope of a miracle situation like BB trading up in the draft for a legit QB prospect.
Or, pulling a blockbuster deal for someone like Watson or Jimmy G. But, my question is more realistic.
What is your gut sense for our starting QB next year, and why:
1. Newton
2. Stidham
3. Vet FA (ie: Dalton, Brissett)
4. 1st-2nd Round Draftee (ie: Wilson, Trask)
So one in five here think Cam will be back (back there stumbling around with his feet crossed up, that is, throwing the ball in novel, random ways each time to nowhere).

When I was a teacher, if 20% of the class failed, I'd be a little concerned. Could be Covid, I reckon.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back