PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most Current Playoff Scenarios

Not so fast.

Carolina can lose out and, interestingly enough, Dallas can beat them out for a tiebreaker if they win out. I believe the same goes for the Saints too.
True, but Panthers at home losing to Tampa would be a big surprise.

Saints losing to Falcons would not be a shock. New Orleans would then have to go on the road and win in their final regular season game to get in.

Dallas is so much better when they have Elliott to open up the passing game.

I was thinking if they make the super bowl the NFC is the weakest they've been in a while. I'll probably still be pooping bricks
Hmmmmm... maybe the NFC is just more competitive this year?

Whoever’s placed in front of us in the AFC come playoff time, bring em’ on. We will prepare for them, hopefully execute & win (health permitting). Let’s worry about the NFC later.

How i have it.

AFC

Pats/Pitt/Jags all win out
Chargers win their last 2 (Oakland/Jets) and get in.
Titans lose their last 2 (Rams/Jags) and miss the playoffs.
Bills go 1-1 and are out (Pats/Dolphins)
Ravens go 2-o and are in (Colts/Bengals)
KC goes 1-1 and are in (Broncos/Dolphins)
Cleveland completes 0-16

#1 Pats #2 Pitt #3 Jags #4KC #5 Ravens #6 Chargers

NFC

Philly wins out (Dallas/Oakland)
Vikings win out (Packers/Bears)
Rams win out (Titans/SF)
Saints win out (Atlanta/Bucs)
Atlanta goes 0-2 and misses (Saints/Carolina)
Carolina wins out (Bucs/Atlanta)
Dallas goes 0-2and misses (Seattle/Eagles)
Detroit goes 1-1 and misses (GB/Bengals).. If theywent 2-0 they would've made it.
Seattle goes 2-0 and gets in (Dallas/Cards)

#1 Eagles #2 Vikings #3 Rams #4 Saints #5 Carolina #6 Seattle

How I see the playoffs if this happens.

WC: Jags > Chargers, Ravens > KC, Rams > Seattle, Carolina > Saints (Saints/Carolina to me is the best game)
Div: Pats > Ravens, Jags > Pitt, Vikings > Rams, Eagles > Carolina (Eagles with a surprise win without their starting QB, Jags beat up the Pitt offense and Ben all day, Pats run over the Ravens pretty easily, Vikings/Rams is the best games though)
AFC/NCF CG: Pats > Jags, Vikings > Eagles (Jags defense is a force but Brady does enough to win. Their offense is slowed just enough. Vikings are just a much better team with who the Eagles have at QB)
SB: Pats > Vikings - #6 Baby!

How i have it.

AFC

Cleveland completes 0-16

NFC

Rams win out (Titans/SF)
Detroit goes 1-1 and misses (GB/Bengals).. If theywent 2-0 they would've made it.

WC: Jags > Chargers, Ravens > KC, Rams > Seattle, Carolina > Saints (Saints/Carolina to me is the best game)
Div: Pats > Ravens, Jags > Pitt, Vikings > Rams, Eagles > Carolina (Eagles with a surprise win without their starting QB, Jags beat up the Pitt offense and Ben all day, Pats run over the Ravens pretty easily, Vikings/Rams is the best games though)
AFC/NCF CG: Pats > Jags, Vikings > Eagles (Jags defense is a force but Brady does enough to win. Their offense is slowed just enough. Vikings are just a much better team with who the Eagles have at QB)

This is a well thought out scenario.

I can see most of it happening, but Atlanta losing out is a pretty bold pick, I think they get in instead of Seattle (who are crumbling right now; if anything Dallas gets in over Atlanta).

AFC bracket looks accurate. I think the Chiefs beat the Ravens in round 1 but otherwise agree. Jacksonville will be a tough matchup and we have to bring our A game to beat them. On the other side I think the winner of that Vikings-Rams game in round 2 goes to the Super Bowl.

Pats can win this thing but we need to get healthy and not lose anyone else! Hogan, Van Noy, and Burkhead need to come back, and lets get a couple more guys on that front 7 back as well. Brady needs to be 100% healed and Gronk needs to stay that way, and we can beat anyone.

I can see most of it happening, but Atlanta losing out is a pretty bold pick, I think they get in instead of Seattle (who are crumbling right now; if anything Dallas gets in over Atlanta).

AFC bracket looks accurate. I think the Chiefs beat the Ravens in round 1 but otherwise agree. Jacksonville will be a tough matchup and we have to bring our A game to beat them. On the other side I think the winner of that Vikings-Rams game in round 2 goes to the Super Bowl.

Pats can win this thing but we need to get healthy and not lose anyone else! Hogan, Van Noy, and Burkhead need to come back, and lets get a couple more guys on that front 7 back as well. Brady needs to be 100% healed and Gronk needs to stay that way, and we can beat anyone.

Good points but I wanted a few big upsets in the playoffs. I thought Ravens/KC would be a good one.

I know I'm a pessimistic person by nature, yet does anyone else's stomach turn when Gronk gets tackled? I keep fearing the worst with that guy. I may also get blasted for this too: don't you need to grab a tight end in the upcoming draft? It's obvious Allen is going to be of no use.

Pending they don't return until the division round, that would be four extra weeks of rest for Van Noy, Hogan, and Branch. I can't imagine any of them not being ready.

I assume Mitchell is out for the year? If so, what role does he have on the team going forward?

Not so fast.

Carolina can lose out and, interestingly enough, Dallas can beat them out for a tiebreaker if they win out. I believe the same goes for the Saints too.
True, except DAL still needs DET to lose to either CIN or a Brett Hundley-led GB team, as the Lions hold the tiebreaker, correct?

From several exhausting conversations with the CBoys fan wife (bless her, truly), this is what I’ve come up with. I could see a team like ATL losing both, but it’s more difficult to see the Lions losing. Correct me if my scenario is wrong. Thanks.

I know I'm a pessimistic person by nature, yet does anyone else's stomach turn when Gronk gets tackled? I keep fearing the worst with that guy. I may also get blasted for this too: don't you need to grab a tight end in the upcoming draft? It's obvious Allen is going to be of no use.

Pending they don't return until the division round, that would be four extra weeks of rest for Van Noy, Hogan, and Branch. I can't imagine any of them not being ready.

I assume Mitchell is out for the year? If so, what role does he have on the team going forward?
I think we all fear injuries, but there’s not much that you can do. Gronk is a strong dude who has had some bad luck. No matter what, we’re not getting a viable replacement, as the closest we’ve come post-Hernandez was 2016 Bennett. Speaking of, he’s still under contract for next season, so that’s a decision to be made in the offseason.

If they keep Bennett or even Hollister (who they seem to want a longer look at), then TE isn’t really necessary. If they move on from one of them then it could be addressed anywhere from the mid-rounds to an UDFA. I highly doubt that Allen stays, at least at his current rate of pay. Maybe they agree on a restructure.

True, except DAL still needs DET to lose to either CIN or a Brett Hundley-led GB team, as the Lions hold the tiebreaker, correct?

From several exhausting conversations with the CBoys fan wife (bless her, truly), this is what I’ve come up with. I could see a team like ATL losing both, but it’s more difficult to see the Lions losing. Correct me if my scenario is wrong. Thanks.
No you’re correct. Idk, the Lions are very flimsy. So I guess I wouldn’t be shocked if they found a way to drop one.

How i have it.

AFC

Cleveland completes 0-16

NFC

Rams win out (Titans/SF)

In the BB era two things that have given the Patriots trouble in the AFCDG and AFCCG: playing in Denver, playing the Ravens.

Your prediction:
#1 Pats #2 Pitt #3 Jags #4 KC #5 Ravens #6 Chargers

Call me superstitious but my seeding preference after WC weekend:
#1 Pats #2 Pitt #3 Jags #4KC
or
#1 Pats #2 Pitt #3 KC #4 Chargers

I think we all fear injuries, but there’s not much that you can do. Gronk is a strong dude who has had some bad luck.

I'd take it a step further Sup. Gronk was a plow carrying players with him as he ran, something that was exposing his knees to a higher% chance to injury. It appears to me he is more aware and quicker to get his feet off the ground (or whatever).

Dude is too tall against players much smaller. They are going for his knees as one of the only ways to keep him from just plowing them like a dozer pushing a pile of garbage at the city dump. Gronk had to be better at not having planted feet with human projectiles coming at his knees. Let's hope that's accurate and hope it continues...

Welp, 1-2 months ago I got laughed out of a thread for suggesting Baltimore would make the playoffs.

I'm definitely not laughing now.

Really?? The Ravens have been the obvious favorite for the #6 Seed for a long time, now...In fact, I almost started a thread about 6 weeks ago about the likelihood of our drawing them in the Divisional Round...Of course, that was before the Jaguars started looking ~ to me, anyway ~ like a far more likely Round 1 Victor.

I really hope they don't make the playoffs. They are the ONLY team in the AFC that scares me in a situation where NE is playing at home. I hate to see them in any playoff scenario actually.

They don't scare me ~ not that I ever presume Victory on any day, mind you ~ but I have no desire to play'm, either: Elevated Black & Blue Factor. :eek:

I let hubris get the best of me in 2014. I expected NE to dust them (hell, I expected '11 Patriots to beat the Giants). Yet they ended up being down 14 TWICE, and Baltimore still had a chance before the Duron Harmon pick. Yeah, I'm not taking any team for granted, and especially not one that has won in NE in the playoffs twice. They, perhaps more than any other team including the Steelers, are always confident coming to Gillette in the playoffs. NE is a banged up team that scraping wins out any way they can, which is a great quality to have. So, I stand with my feeling that I would hate to see them come to Gillette.

With that said, I still think NE would have just enough to get beyond them. Still, I don't want to see them. OH, the one thing I do disagree with is JAX. I don't see Blake Bortles beating a BB/Matty P defense, no matter how banged up we are at the moment.

So you are scared of the shirts and colors of a current team because the Pats didnt steamroll the same team 3 years ago and lost to them the last time 5 years ago ?

But at the same time you have no problem whatsoever with facing Jacksonville who are a substantially better version of the Ravens except for their QB who is more or less on the same level as Flacco right now.

Gotcha..

The Ravens are not winning in NE and I doubt they win a playoff game at all. They’re not the threat they were 5 years ago.

I’d rather not see Buf get in. Funny things happen when division rivals play each other.

That's a fair concern ~ you're obviously remembering that 2010 debacle.

On a related note, I personally consider the whole "It's tough to beat a team 3 times." bit to be Urban Legend material. It's tough to beat anyone once, if you ask me, but given the choice between being the 0-2 team and the 2-0 team at a rematch, I'll take being the 2-0 team every time, thank you very much!! :D It'd be interesting to see the History, there...One such instance that's always stood out in my memory is the JacksonVille Jaguars 1999 team. God, that was a beautiful team. A Super Bowl matching them up against The Greatest Show on Turf would've been terrific.

They were the best team in the AFC, and had the 14-2 record to prove it. In fact, they might've gone 16-0. The problem, as those'f you shaking your heads in wondered recollection will recall, is that somebody plunked down a team in Tennessee.

For whatever reason, the Jaguars just couldn't beat the Titans that year. And because of The Music City Miracle ~ God, it was great to watch Wade Phillips fail in spectacular fashion after benching Flutie!! :D ~ they went 0-3 against'm!!

Last edited:
On a related note, I personally consider the whole "It's tough to beat a team 3 times." to be Urban Legend material. It's tough to beat anyone once, if you ask me, but given the choice between being the 0-2 team and the 2-0 team at a rematch, I'll take being the 2-0 team every time, thank you very much!! :D It'd be interesting to see the History, there...
Granted, it’s been a few years since I dug up some numbers, but divisional foes who had swept the season series 2-0 and then went on to face the same team for a third time in the postseason had won that third game about 65% of the time, so it coincides with your thinking.

Seems like there's a lot of teams in the AFC that are not dead yet.

Well played, Sir!!
jester.gif

I actually see things as remarkably boiled-down for there being 2 weeks left. There've been times in either Conference, if I'm remembering correctly, when a dozen teams were still in it with 2 weeks to go!! Right now, there's ~ what? ~ 10 teams in our Conference, technically, but it's realistically down to just the Ravens and Beefalo fighting for the 6th Seed, with the Lightning Bolts having a faint prayer.

Edelman pass to Amendola still might be my favorite play of the past four years.

Yeah, that was absolutely awesome.

I've always been kind'f disappointed that Edelman ~ a certified WiseAss ~ didn't get in front of a microphone and chirp about the QuarterBack Controversy. :D

Hey, why not? His Passer Rating's gotta be amazing. :eek:

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
Back