PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most Current Playoff Scenarios

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this for anyone wondering about the playoffs, including and beyond what happens to the Patriots. Yes, it's an ESPNFL link! Yes, I've talked sh*t about them! Yes, I will most certainly continue to do so! And finally, yes, I respect anyone who just refuses to click the link. But to the rest of you, here you go. Thank me now or never.:p Enjoy. :D:D:D

NFL playoff scenarios: What's at stake in Week 16

The short, non-ESPN version ...

NFC:

PHL is IN, and they have a BYE
MIN in IN, seeding/BYE yet to be determined (and may not be this weekend, even if Minny wins).

*** FOUR spots are still open. ***
(could be down to ONE by the end of the weekend)

LA (@TEN) and Carolina (hosting TBY) are both IN with a win.

NOL -or- ATL can get IN with a win, and they play each other.

DAL (hosting SEA), SEA (@DAL) and DET (@CIN) are all still mathematically alive and, along with the loser of the NOL-ATL game, would be vying for that last spot, needing to win out and hoping that all three of the other contenders seriously eff up the next two weeks.

AFC:

NE, PIT & JAX are all IN, and all of them need to win out to maintain control of their seeding.

8-6 KCY (hosting MIA) is IN with a win or a Chargers (@NYJ) loss.

*** THREE spots are still open. ***
(could be down to TWO by the end of the weekend)

TEN (hosting the RAMS), BUF (@NE), & BAL (hosting INDY) are all 8-6, needing to win out and hoping that all of the other contenders seriously eff up the next two weeks.

For a non-bspn option, I have always found PlayoffStatus.com to be an informative site for playoff scenarios.

AFC Playoff Picture

NFC Playoff Picture

Click on any team and there is another link for their clinching options, as well as elimination scenarios. They have also added something new this year which I really like: an option to either include or hide scenarios involving tie games.

For example:

New England Patriots Playoff Spot Clinching Options

Patriots Clinching Options
New Show Ties Games New​

Spot #1 - First Round Bye
Case 1
Patriots beats the Bills, and
Steelers loses to the Texans, and
Jaguars loses to the Forty-Niners

Spot #2 - First Round Bye
Case 1
Steelers loses to the Texans

Case 2
Jaguars loses to the Forty-Niners

Spot #3 - First Round Home Field Advantage
The Patriots have already won this spot

Why does Jacksonville win the tie breaker with us?

For the Patriots and Jaguars to be tied, the Pats would have to lose another game.

That would be an AFC game.

That in turn would mean that Jacksonville would have a better conference record.

Tiebreakers for teams not in same division:
Head-to-head
Conference record
Common games (minimum four)
Strength of victory (record of all the teams they defeated that season).
Strength of schedule (record of all the teams they played that season).
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.

Both the Jags and Pats have lost 2 conference games. If the Jags win and the Pats lose to Buf or the Jesters we have 3 conference losses and lose out on this tiebreaker.

Welp, 1-2 months ago I got laughed out of a thread for suggesting Baltimore would make the playoffs.

I'm definitely not laughing now.
I really hope they don't make the playoffs. They are the ONLY team in the AFC that scares me in a situation where NE is playing at home. I hate to see them in any playoff scenario actually.

Welp, 1-2 months ago I got laughed out of a thread for suggesting Baltimore would make the playoffs.

I'm definitely not laughing now.

Ravens are ok, not great. The steelers barely beat them.

The Ravens are not winning in NE and I doubt they win a playoff game at all. They’re not the threat they were 5 years ago.

I’d rather not see Buf get in. Funny things happen when division rivals play each other.

The next two weeks are really interesting for home field for the NFC South division winner, and presumably for the #4, #5 and #6 slots.

Right now Saints and Panthers are 10-4, Atlanta is 9-5.

Week 16: Falcons at Saints, Bucs at Panthers
Week 17: Saints at Bucs, Panthers at Falcons

The Ravens are not winning in NE and I doubt they win a playoff game at all. They’re not the threat they were 5 years ago.

I’d rather not see Buf get in. Funny things happen when division rivals play each other.

The way I see the next 2 weeks playing out, Baltimore goes to KC in the wild card round. Recent history for both teams is far too strong for me not to expect Baltimore to come out and absolutely destroy them, setting up a trip to Gillette.

Maybe the Patriots would win that game. But we were saying this exact same thing in 2014, except the Ravens hadn't had that mediocre stretch of a few years yet. I strongly believe Flacco is a completely different player in the postseason. Plus, their defense is pretty good (they play man, right? I don't know for sure). The only teams I really see beating NE in the AFC are Jacksonville and Baltimore, although I think there will be a JAX@PIT rematch that ends in some ******** Steelers win.

Not sure what the second statement is supposed to imply in this context. The Ravens always give the Steelers all they can handle in playoff-type situations and usually win those games. They play very well against us too. They're ok against crappy teams like Chicago.

I really hope they don't make the playoffs. They are the ONLY team in the AFC that scares me in a situation where NE is playing at home. I hate to see them in any playoff scenario actually.
They are an awful team and we would destroy them.

and the patriots barely beat the steelers. the ravens looked like poo in the beginning of the year but it's all about late season momentum. you want to play your best in december and they are doing that

Agree. Brady is 8-3 against the Ravens, but it doesn't feel like it.

The short, non-ESPN version ...

AFC:

NE, PIT & JAX are all IN, and all of them need to win out to maintain control of their seeding.

8-6 KCY (hosting MIA) is IN with a win or a Chargers (@NYJ) loss.

*** THREE spots are still open. ***
(could be down to TWO by the end of the weekend)

TEN (hosting the RAMS), BUF (@NE), & BAL (hosting INDY) are all 8-6, needing to win out and hoping that all of the other contenders seriously eff up the next two weeks.

Normally, I have the scenarios dialed in. This year, all of the Team A wins, Team B loses, Team C wins and _____ is making my head spin for some reason. Seems like there's a lot of teams in the AFC that are not dead yet.

The interesting thing is that all of NE, PIT, and JAX could end up anywhere from #1 to #3 depending on how the final two games go.

Also, a 3-way NE, PIT, JAX tie doesn't help. Since NE and JAX both beat PIT, PIT would be knocked out (and become the #3) seed leaving the 2-way tiebreaker, which JAX would win as described above.

Correct. 6-1 regular season with sub-Brady excellence and 2-2 in the playoffs and those playoff wins were not easy.
3-0 since the start of 2013 and I expect it to be 4-0 should we face them in these playoffs. I don’t worry about what teams did or didn’t do to us 5 years ago, including the Giants and Ravens.

Well except for one thing. If we beat them hopefully Brady learned his lesson and keeps his mouth zipped this time. He got burned by that twice already so let’s not make it 3.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back