PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Shanahan: no guarantee Jimmy G will be on roster on Sunday

The issue here is what does Belichick want not what Shanahan doesn't want.

You might want to sit this one out and hit the bench for awhile with some Gatorade.
The issue here is that the coach who has worked with him for 3 years just showed he has zero confidence in him.
Belichcik will note that and act accordingly. You act like I am disagreeing with belichick but the opposite is really true.
There is no way belichick will bring in Jimmy as the starting QB at 25 mill a year when he has proven he can’t stay on the field and the team that is intimately aware of why is telling us it’s a Jimmy problem but bad injury luck.
He sat out 10 games last year with an ankle sprain, and the team reacted by giving up their next 3 1s to replace him. That should speak volumes to you.

Kind of funny that all the reporters writing these articles have no clue whatsoever is going on and are all just talking out of their asses.

Could JG be traded, could a reunion with the Pats be in the air for JG, could the Patriots be moving up, could the patriots be moving down, are the Patriots happy with Cam and Stidham, if Mac Jones/whomever else drop, will the Patriots move up to get him.

They don't have a clue, and all the player rankings are done by people who aren't good enough player evaluators to get jobs in the NFL. But fans sit at home and rip their teams for not taking the players based upon those recommendations.

The issue here is that the coach who has worked with him for 3 years just showed he has zero confidence in him.
Belichcik will note that and act accordingly. You act like I am disagreeing with belichick but the opposite is really true.
There is no way belichick will bring in Jimmy as the starting QB at 25 mill a year when he has proven he can’t stay on the field and the team that is intimately aware of why is telling us it’s a Jimmy problem but bad injury luck.
He sat out 10 games last year with an ankle sprain, and the team reacted by giving up their next 3 1s to replace him. That should speak volumes to you.

Of course, Belichick would never bring him in at $25M. He will not have to.

Pittsburgh didn't want Vrabel.
SD didn't want Rodney.
Oakland didn't want Moss.
Detroit didn't want Van Noy.

Notice the pattern?

Your team is historically the Land of Misfit Toys. Perhaps Shanahan's opinion isn't such a searing indictment.

Good article about the possibility of Jimmy coming back from Zack Cox. An interesting read.

This makes a lot of sense. San Fran gets some draft capital back to lessen their huge trade up and the Pats get someone who knows their system. Get JimmyG on some pliability sessions.

SD didn't want Rodney.

Notice the pattern?

Your team is historically the Land of Misfit Toys. Perhaps Shanahan's opinion isn't such a searing indictment.
Which of those players miss as many games as they play?

I am still in the draft a QB camp. But what if Jimmy actually has a pair and is sitting out there listening and watching all of this and he is fuming about it. Comes out determined to play the entire season come hell or high water? Does a highly motivated Jimmy G for a 2nd interest you (maybe a conditional future 3rd that can be a 2 or a 1 given games played season outcome etc..)? It does me a bit. And the Pats very well could still draft a Monds or Trask in the late 2nd or early 3rd. While getting a game changer on either side of the ball (defense preferred) at 15.

This scenario gives you a motivated Jimmy G. Cam as flexibility and a veteran backup that can win games in a Jimmy G injury situation, plus a rookie you can develop. Win now mode while still looking towards the future.

I may have just talked myself into being ok with a Jimmy G trade (and restructure) given this scenario. Think that is the ultimate win-win for now and the future.

SD didn't want Rodney.

Notice the pattern?

So you are saying that BB is King Moonracer?

King Moonracer.jpg

I am still in the draft a QB camp. But what if Jimmy actually has a pair and is sitting out there listening and watching all of this and he is fuming about it. Comes out determined to play the entire season come hell or high water? Does a highly motivated Jimmy G for a 2nd interest you (maybe a conditional future 3rd that can be a 2 or a 1 given games played season outcome etc..)? It does me a bit. And the Pats very well could still draft a Monds or Trask in the late 2nd or early 3rd. While getting a game changer on either side of the ball (defense preferred) at 15.

This scenario gives you a motivated Jimmy G. Cam as flexibility and a veteran backup that can win games in a Jimmy G injury situation, plus a rookie you can develop. Win now mode while still looking towards the future.

I may have just talked myself into being ok with a Jimmy G trade (and restructure) given this scenario. Think that is the ultimate win-win for now and the future.
ya, I have moved on from Jimmy G. I think BB drafts a QB in the 3rd or 4th rd. Mond/Mills/Trask is my bet

Which of those players miss as many games as they play?

So poor play in more games is more valuable than good play in fewer games............hmmmmm........

Noted.

So poor play in more games is more valuable than good play in fewer games............hmmmmm........

Noted.
Which of those had poor play in more games?

If you think the fact that Jimmy g is made of glass and missed 10 games because of an ankle sprain, which caused his team to give up on him, implying he lacks toughness to get out on the field (which was also rumored in 2016) is not a big deal to belichick you are out of your mind.

A QB who only plays half the games is not useful.

ya, I have moved on from Jimmy G. I think BB drafts a QB in the 3rd or 4th rd. Mond/Mills/Trask is my bet
That would be a disaster. This would be cam Newton’s team for the next 3 years and we will not see a playoff game.
At least Jimmy can provide hope that maybe he might stay healthy and play well in one of those years.
There has never been a more classic example of a team that needs to trade up and get their QB than the 2021 Patriots.

You would have to ask yourself why wasn’t Jimmy motivated last year?
I don’t think banking on a guy changing who he is because he’s mad that people found out who he seems like a good bet.
All the evidence suggests that Jimmy is a guy who won’t play through injuries and thats as a bad a quality in a an as any.

I don’t think banking on a guy changing who he is because he’s mad that people found out who he seems like a good bet.
All the evidence suggests that Jimmy is a guy who won’t play through injuries and thats as a bad a quality in a an as any.
He was put on IR in November - which meant three games out, at the least. By the time he was scheduled to come back, SF's season was essentially over at 5-8, Kittle was out (and they kept him out the rest of the year, as well, even though he was cleared by the doctors). Also, a high ankle sprain is typically a 3-6 week injury, but can last for months.

Not sure last year was on Garoppolo and not on Lynch/Shanahan protecting their assets. 2020 was weird.

I'd rather move up and draft the hopeful QB of the future, but I'm not opposed to Jimmy coming back being the plan for this year at least. However, NOT for the 15th pick in return. He's not worth that with his injury history.

I don't disagree with you but risking a 2nd on a guy that knows the system and the building, who if healthy is a SB caliber QB, is not a big risk. Low cost big upside.

Especially when you add in Cam and a developmental guy in the 2nd or 3rd. It protects your future picks if it doesn't work out. It didn't cost you a single future 1st to move up for an unproven guy that may or may not be able to play in the league etc...the more I think about the bigger no brainer it becomes.

If he is injured then we are right where we most likely would have been irregardless if we traded for him or not. Cam, Stid and a 2nd or 3rd QB. I am not really buying BB packaging a bunch of 1st round picks to move up and get the 4th or 5th QB off the board.

Can't blame Shanny

Jimmy svcks.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes