PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF HC Kyle Shanahan can't guarantee that Jimmy Garoppolo will play this year

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan 'can't promise' that Jimmy Garoppolo will play in 2017

If that turns out to be true...

1. I'm bummed out because I'm in NY, and the Giants play SF in a few weeks... I was psyched to see Jimmy play.

2. More importantly... and I get that the team sucks... but you bring in a guy who you think will be your franchise QB... a guy who has 6 quarters of real playing time... a guy who you're backing the Brinks truck up for... and you're not gonna take him for a test drive beforehand?

o_O

Maybe I'm missing something... otherwise, Kyle...

stupid.gif

Last edited:
If I were his coach, I might not want to play him until there was a long-term contract signed. Besides, if he starts to soon, they could pick 4th instead of 1st or 2nd.

That would be beyond stupid. How do you know how much to pay him in the offseason if you don't play him.

OK, so he'll do great, and sign for someone else after one or two franchise years, or hold up SF for an exorbitant contract. If they don't sign him before the season ends, they will have paid 2nd in order to franchise him, a very expensive proposition.

IMHO, JAG would be willing to play for a series of one year contracts starting at the franchise tag number and gain up each year.
===
SF has a team that is so bad, it is like trying out JAG with the patriot backups. Obviously, there is also considerable injury risk. If he is the SF franchise QB of the future, I still say that the right approach is to sign him now to a long-term deal, and manage his reps this year. Next year, the team will have added lots of new players.

OK, so he'll do great, and sign for someone else after one or two franchise years, or hold up SF for an exorbitant contract. If they don't sign him before the season ends, they will have paid 2nd in order to franchise him, a very expensive proposition.

IMHO, JAG would be willing to play for a series of one year contracts starting at the franchise tag number and gain up each year.
===
SF has a team that is so bad, it is like trying out JAG with the patriot backups. Obviously, there is also considerable injury risk. If he is the SF franchise QB of the future, I still say that the right approach is to sign him now to a long-term deal, and manage his reps this year. Next year, the team will have added lots of new players.
You are missing some facts.
Jag is unproven.
Jag needs the work
Jag has barely played football for 4 years.
Bubble wrapping players ******s their career

San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan 'can't promise' that Jimmy Garoppolo will play in 2017

If that turns out to be true...

1. I'm bummed out because I'm in NY, and the Giants play SF in a few weeks... I was psyched to see Jimmy play.

2. More importantly... and I get that the team sucks... but you bring in a guy who you think will be your franchise QB... a guy who has 6 quarters of real playing time... a guy who you're backing the Brinks truck up for... and you're not gonna take him for a test drive beforehand?

o_O

Maybe I'm missing something... otherwise...

BPUGjswCQAE_YyO.jpg
This is just coach speak. Jag will be out there no later than after the bye in week 12

Good news for us. Hello pick 33-34!

Just an fyi. They use a completely different offensive scheme which includes a different language to call the plays so it's going to take some time for JG to pick that up.

IIRC they use a Air Coryell West coast style of scheme.

JG is used to the Erhardt Perkins.

@AndyJohnson please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shanny wants to ensure the 9ers suck enough to have a shot at Barkley.

And they'll have gigantic space under the cap next year because of the $50m rollover from this year so they'll get Barkley, really beef up that OL, and still have enough left over to grab Pryor, Landry, or Jeffrey.

Meanwhile Jimmy G takes his time picking up that WC scheme. Shanahan's version is no joke, it took Matt Ryan over a season to master it and he is no slouch.

Pretty shrewd if you ask me.

Just an fyi. They use a completely different offensive scheme which includes a different language to call the plays so it's going to take some time for JG to pick that up.

IIRC they use a Air Coryell West coast style of scheme.

JG is used to the Erhardt Perkins.

@AndyJohnson please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not quite Coryell WC anymore or the Walsh horizontal WC system- Shanahan has put his own personal stamp on it, it's morphed and meshes other concepts, he does a lot of zone blocking on runs and stretch plays.

But I think it's a great fit for Jimmy G other than the language (he's going to have to literally go from speaking English to speaking French) because the idea of Shanny's WC is to get the ball out of the QB's hands fast and Jimmy G. has a pretty quick release, as we know.

I can see Jimmy coming back to us when he doesn't get them to the playoffs. The management there is impatient.

No need to request this; it is a built-in PatsFans.com feature. Enjoy! :)

Haha.

To be fair there are a few posters here that know this stuff. PP2, Long D, NE VT, Knotra and others but I saw that @AndyJohnson had just posted and thought he would offer some input but the bastard just ignored me. So F**k him. :D

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back