PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF HC Kyle Shanahan can't guarantee that Jimmy Garoppolo will play this year

I completely agree with @Tony2046 : the new offensive system is why Jimmy will be held out.

I don't think it is purely terminological; rather the terminological differences reflect a fundamental differance in how plays are conceptualized. The EP system uses a single word for a multiple receiver route concept, where other systems individually specify each route. English to French is a pretty good analogy, but I prefer thinking of it as English to Chinese; one is a character based language, and one uses letters. The base units of the language are different.

I think it is an deep and interesting question how quickly and easily a QBs could transition between the two. Perhaps going from EP to non-EP is easier than the reverse, or maybe it is harder. It might totally vary player to player. Perhaps some players prefer a more holistic view (EP), where others understand better by breaking it down a passing play specifically specifying each route. I even think it might effect the speed of a QB's reads.

Seeing how quickly Jimmy plays in SF will give us an interesting case study on it. Lack of understanding of the play-book or poor OL quality are the only reasons I could see SF delaying his first start. At least according to PFF, SF has a decent line ranked at #19. (I am huge PFF skeptic BTW: Ranking all 32 NFL offensive lines by average grade, Week 5 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus ).

English to Chinese is a much better analogy- wish I'd thought of that. Actually it may be more accurate to say that Jimmy is going from Chinese to the clunky Queen's English. He is going from a simplified concept system to a memory based system where every single route adjustment has a different designation or name.

I love linking to this article- it's pretty old but still one of my favorites:

Speak My Language

Last edited:
oh ya, and the Pats had drafted an all pro wr with that 2nd round pick who is coming into his prime.

tumblr_mfkwx1o0MP1rj6akzo1_500.gif

Yea that'll be the day

In training camp, Hoyer noted how he didn’t need a wristband because he knew Shanahan’s system (and 18-word play calls) from their 2014 season in Cleveland, and Hoyer quipped how then-rookie Johnny Manziel got to wear one.

“Being around Kyle, he’s a unique play caller and for him to put plays on a wristband, it would limit him and now I understand that,” Hoyer said Aug. 2. “Now having a better understanding of the offense, I don’t need it. My first year, I would have loved it because it would have been a lot easier to get those play calls out.”

–Arians said not even Carson Palmer’s broken arm could vault the Cardinals into trade talks for Garoppolo, although he praised the quarterback who beat him in last season’s opener as a fill-in for the suspended Tom Brady. “He’s going to be one of the top-flight guys, especially in that offense,” Arians said. “Kyle does a great job with that style quarterback. It’s a really good system fit and he’s also a good leader.”

Garoppolo triumphed by leading a fourth-quarter comeback in last season’s “Sunday Night Football” opener, which the Patriots won 23-21. Garoppolo was 24-of-37 for 271 yards with two touchdown passes, no interceptions and two sacks. He also had four carries for 12 yards and even a 3-yard catch on a pass that ricocheted to him. Added Arians: “His accuracy was really good in that game. But I was really impressed with his poise.”

Jimmy Garoppolo wears unique look in 49ers practice debut/SJ Mercury News

Hopeful timeline:
2018 - Jimmy gets the franchise tag
2019 - Jimmy gets the franchise take again
2020 -- Brady retires, Jimmy is a free agent, he decided to sign with the Pats

oh ya, and the Pats had drafted an all pro wr with that 2nd round pick who is coming into his prime.
Hopeful timeline. Patriots draft a qb in 2020, during 2022 Brady starts slowing down, misses games due to injury, the new successor gets to play a handful of games and looks good keeping us afloat until Brady returns and wins his 8th SB then retires.
Jimmy G flames out in SF and comes back as the backup.

Bythe way this thread is based on an inaccurate quote.
The actual quote was “I can’t promise you he won’t play this week and I can’t promise you he will play this year

You guys looking for him to flip are pathetic

I predict he’s going to do great there......

Maybe 5 years down the road it will be JAG and the niners in the sb vs the pats and Clayton thorsen

Hopeful timeline. Patriots draft a qb in 2020, during 2022 Brady starts slowing down, misses games due to injury, the new successor gets to play a handful of games and looks good keeping us afloat until Brady returns and wins his 8th SB then retires.
Jimmy G flames out in SF and comes back as the backup.

It is fine if you want to be this hopeful, but I sure hope our FO is not thinking like this. Brady might be playing well until 2022, and he might develop accuracy issues by the end of 2017. IMO we need to draft a QB in this upcoming draft, and perhaps a second soon after. Lets hope BB can continue to get enough quality non-QB players without expending too much draft capital. We are basically locked into using picks on QBs now IMO.

Tank and play him next year, exactly like the Colts are doing.

What competent coach guarantees playing time to any player? It's earned. If JG picks up the playbook and terminology quickly, I suspect he'll have earned his playing time.

Regards,
Chris

It is fine if you want to be this hopeful, but I sure hope our FO is not thinking like this. Brady might be playing well until 2022, and he might develop accuracy issues by the end of 2017. IMO we need to draft a QB in this upcoming draft, and perhaps a second soon after. Lets hope BB can continue to get enough quality non-QB players without expending too much draft capital. We are basically locked into using picks on QBs now IMO.
Oh I’m sure we will draft a qb but the best case scenario is that one sees his contract run out before brady is done too. :D

So Jimmy g starts the 2nd half in the first game

Alright guys, cool it. Lot of coaches don't like to guarantee a guy before they've at least had a chance to see them practice. They want to make sure the guy is up to the billing and committed to earning a job. Garoppolo is in the mix, I guarantee that. If he looks good in practice he'll start. Shanny just doesn't intend to hand him the job on a silver platter. That's all there is to this.

Brady developing accuracy issues this season is as likely as Kate Upton dumping Verlander to service my needs for the foreseeable future.

Oh I’m sure we will draft a qb but the best case scenario is that one sees his contract run out before brady is done too. :D

I would actually like to see them use their first for a QB in this draft because it locks in the fifth year, and I see Brady playing 3-4 more years after this season. That way they have plenty of time to groom a top talent to take over when he hangs them up and there is very little likelihood of losing the player, as they would have until the 2024 season to play this out.

Everyone is spazzing over a backup qb. You don't see the packers talking about drafting a qb for the future after Rodgers gets hurt. It's just as likely that Brady gets hurt as it is any other qb in the league getting hurt and Brady is better than all of them. Don't eat everything the media is trying to feed you. They want our qb and team fail every waking moment of their lives.

Alright guys, cool it. Lot of coaches don't like to guarantee a guy before they've at least had a chance to see them practice. They want to make sure the guy is up to the billing and committed to earning a job. Garoppolo is in the mix, I guarantee that. If he looks good in practice he'll start. Shanny just doesn't intend to hand him the job on a silver platter. That's all there is to this.
He already has been handed the job in a silver platter. They traded away their only other competent qb. Of course he will play. Remember the comment wasn’t he may not play this year it was he may play this week and he may not play this year meaning he is setting no timetable in advance.

The 49'ers season is already over. Why would you jeopardize either the first or second pick at this point if Jimmy can win a game or two. Not for nothing but let's say Jimmy is mediocre, wouldn't they want a shot at Darnold? Let's say he's actually their guy, why waste him this year and miss out on the best player in the draft?

There's nothing to play for anymore and losing a high draft pick to evaluate Jimmy is stupid. Shanahan knows QB's. He doesn't need to see him in playing time. If the Browns win a game or two, maybe you see him at the end of the year

Brady developing accuracy issues this season is as likely as Kate Upton dumping Verlander to service my needs for the foreseeable future.

Bad analogy, it’s happening. Verlander is really pissed.

• from Schefter
The 49ers are targeting their Week 12 home game against the Seattle Seahawksfor Jimmy Garoppolo's debut as San Francisco's starting quarterback, a source told ESPN.

The 49ers have a bye next week after Sunday's home game against the New York Giants. They have six games remaining after the Week 11 bye.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back