PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Shanahan: no guarantee Jimmy G will be on roster on Sunday

I’m saying the 49ers think he has little value and the poster calling for getting him
Is excited because he will be cheap, meaning he has no value.

If he was the answer his own team wouldn’t be running through a wall to replace him.
I’m not sure the patriots want to build their team around a guy who’s own team thought so much of him they traded 3 1s for the right to not be saddled with him any longer.
Since when does BB care what other people think? Shanahan has has a hard on for Cousins too, what do we care what he thinks.

Please note, Shan ALSO said none of us might be alive Sunday... I’m sensing Mars Attack vibes. So there’s that to debate as well.

what he said is "I'm an arrogant douchebag son of an arrogant azzole and if you can't see Jimmy G is dead as disco you're too stupid to talk to a person of MY greatness..."...he's picking the 'Bama bomber because it's the next best thing to a robot..which is what Shinny wants out of the QB position

Since when does BB care what other people think? Shanahan has has a hard on for Cousins too, what do we care what he thinks.
So you don’t think it’s meaningful that Jimmy’s own coach not only didn’t want him, on a team that is ready to win now, but was so adamant about it that he traded 3 1s to make it happen?
Shanahan coached cousins once, the rest you are speculating.

Didn’t BB originally get Jimmy because he loved him despite not having an opening ?
No. He drafted him as a back up QB.

If that's the case, then why is Shanahan answering questions or making related remarks in a manner that clearly disses Garoppolo? He's made it pretty clear that he wants that locker cleared out.

“The biggest thing with Jimmy is his injuries,” Shanahan said Monday, “that’s been very tough for us when he’s been hurt. It’s happened two out of these three years, and that’s where it starts and Jimmy knows that. I’ve been very up front with him with everything.”

No one knows what 49ers will do - ProFootballTalk

No. He drafted him as a back up QB.
Not trying to be sassy : do you think BB values the position of backup qb to that extent ? I might agree if you were talking about a pick at 90+, but a pick in the 2nd to fill the role of backup qb ?

i think BB felt Jimmy had a legitimate shot at being the successor, whereas his other shots at the dartboard were backup/maybe we have something here types.

They’re prob desperate to unload Jimmy before or right after the draft, I don’t believe for a second he’s in their plans in any way this upcoming season.

I disagree. Keeping him gives them time to develop their incredibly expensive rookie.

I disagree. Keeping him gives them time to develop their incredibly expensive rookie.
He’s bluffing, they don’t want to keep Jimmy around.

You generally don't speak about someone that way if you are going to keep them.

Question is, would the Pats still be in on Jimmy?

Not trying to be sassy : do you think BB values the position of backup qb to that extent ? I might agree if you were talking about a pick at 90+, but a pick in the 2nd to fill the role of backup qb ?

i think BB felt Jimmy had a legitimate shot at being the successor, whereas his other shots at the dartboard were backup/maybe we have something here types.
The discussion was about a “plan” to acquire a bunch of long shots QBs to throw out there and hope they work out.

Young does not close to fit that. Im
not sure what point you are trying to make by meandering to compare young and garoppolo.

Belichick drafted Jimmy 7 years ago. A lot has happened. I’m sure belichick liked jimmy but I doubt his inability to stay on the field isn’t a huge factor in deciding whether to turn the reigns over to him.
His value is less today than when he was traded to SF.

He’s bluffing, they don’t want to keep Jimmy around.

Could be. I don't know. But I think they do want JG around while they get the rookie up to speed.

If JG continues to win games and gets hurt they'll bring in the rookie. Less of a pressure situation for Jones or whomever.

If JG continues to win and doesn't get hurt they'll wait until the rookie is ready.

If the rookie looks like crap and is a bust they'll at least have a starting quality QB.

Anyway, to me, it makes more sense for them to keep JG unless someone offers something ridiculous.

You generally don't speak about someone that way if you are going to keep them.

Question is, would the Pats still be in on Jimmy?
SF may be frustrated with the patriots and Jimmy. It takes all 3 to make a deal.

Jimmy's agent will be telling him to wait. When SF cuts him, other teams may force up the price beyond what the pats will pay if they have to give up a 2nd or even a 3rd.

Would you pay Jimmy more as a free agent? Of course.
=============
Alternatively, SF could wait until August to cut Jimmy. There is little reason for action unless he can get a draft pick.

SF may be frustrated with the patriots and Jimmy. It takes all 3 to make a deal.

Jimmy's agent will be telling him to wait. When SF cuts him, other teams may force up the price beyond what the pats will pay if they have to give up a 2nd or even a 3rd.

=============
Alternatively, SF could wait until August to cut Jimmy. There is little reason for action unless he can get a draft pick.

Who's going to pay more? I don't think it's an absolute certainty.

Could be. I don't know. But I think they do want JG around while they get the rookie up to speed.

If JG continues to win games and gets hurt they'll bring in the rookie. Less of a pressure situation for Jones or whomever.

If JG continues to win and doesn't get hurt they'll wait until the rookie is ready.

If the rookie looks like crap and is a bust they'll at least have a starting quality QB.

Anyway, to me, it makes more sense for them to keep JG unless someone offers something ridiculous.
Yeah it’s fun to speculate, if they’re waiting for a ridiculous offer for Jimmy then he’ll be on the team next year cause I don’t see someone offering great compensation.

So you don’t think it’s meaningful that Jimmy’s own coach not only didn’t want him, on a team that is ready to win now, but was so adamant about it that he traded 3 1s to make it happen?
Shanahan coached cousins once, the rest you are speculating.
It depends on your opinion of Shanahan. I think he’s an arrogant little putz whose ego needs to be reeled in before he finds himself the next boy genius turned career coordinator. It’s funny you of all people seem to trust Shanahan’s opinion to that of Bill Belichick. It would be Bill’s opinion not ours that would bring Garappolo back.

It depends on your opinion of Shanahan. I think he’s an arrogant little putz whose ego needs to be reeled in before he finds himself the next boy genius turned career coordinator. It’s funny you of all people seem to trust Shanahan’s opinion to that of Bill Belichick. It would be Bill’s opinion not ours that would bring Garappolo back.
Where did I say I trust Shanahan over belichick?
I said Jimmy’s resume is that he became a starter and within 3 years his team wants to replace him, so desperately that they traded 3 #1s to do so.
I don’t care who the coach is, that’s bad, and since it follows him missing 10 games with an injury that shouldn’t keep you out that long, it raises major questions.
I havent seen where Belichick has decided that he wants to make Jimmy his franchise qb so I am not disagreeing with belichick just the made up opinion of what belichick thinks

=============
No one is paying him more than 25 million.
Who else would even be considering him at that price?

Who's going to pay more? I don't think it's an absolute certainty.
Who will pay more AAV to Jimmy than the patriots will now )or next week)? Is that you are asking?

My position is that the patriots would be willing to pay more to Jimmy if he were a free agent. That way, we wouldn't be giving up a pick.

Perhaps, Jimmy is worth a 2nd to the patriots if the new contract agree is $10 AAV or a 5th if it is $15M unless the new team will accept his current contract.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back