PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Shanahan: no guarantee Jimmy G will be on roster on Sunday

He plays about half the games, that’s not the answer.

He's injury prone and that's not good which is why the 49ers don't have leverage on anything more than a 2nd I think. That reminds me, Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games so we need to replace the LT position as well if Trent doesn't play LT. Good reminder.

They’re prob desperate to unload Jimmy before or right after the draft, I don’t believe for a second he’s in their plans in any way this upcoming season.
Someone has to be there so they aren’t forced to rush the rookie.

The answer he gave was phrased very... strangely... At the end of the day I think NE has an offer on the table and SF is waiting. When draft day comes, if someone like Fields slides and NE could potentially trade up, perhaps SF becomes keen on taking their offer instead of getting nothing and probably cutting Garoppolo in TC.

IMO - getting Jimmy for a reasonable price and drafting Kellen Mond wouldn't be bad at all. I'd rather move up a bit for someone like Fields or Lance if they slide, though...

I meant for the patriots.
when did we start praying for players other teams don’t want?
When Cam started failing spectacularly. Sure I want to move up to take Jones or Fields...but Jimmy G, Mariota or Minshew are not bad consolation prizes. The perfect QB is not going to fall into our laps...diversifying with a wider net is common sense.

He's injury prone and that's not good which is why the 49ers don't have leverage on anything more than a 2nd I think. That reminds me, Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games so we need to replace the LT position as well if Trent doesn't play LT. Good reminder.

If his team doesn’t want him, so desperately that they are willing to trade 3 #1s to not have to have him as their qb and the most you think he is worth is a second round pick why would you think he is the long term answer to this franchises problem at QB?
Why should the patriots settle for someone you would trade 3 1s to replace and would be lucky to trade for a second?
You are saying his value sucks, but he’s the answer.

When Cam started failing badly. Sure I want to move up to take Jones or Fields...but Jimmy G, Mariota or Minshew are not bad consolation prizes. The perfect QB is not going to fall into our laps...diversifying with a wider net is common sense.
Minshew would be a definite upgrade over Cam and someone I'd be okay with as the starter and even a potential franchise QB (while still keeping other options open). Jimmy G would be an expensive stopgap who might just get injured and was never a game changer when healthy. Mariota? He might be no better than the guy we already have.

Has Jimmy agreed to massive pay cut yet?

Until that happens, he's irrelevant to me.
My gut tells me he's willing to take a pay cut to come to NE (perhaps that cut comes via an extension).

Yeah, he definitely needs good protection. Don't know who plays what on the OL this year but on paper they have a great group. At least if Wynn does miss time, Brown can certainly cover for him.

When Cam started failing badly. Sure I want to move up to take Jones or Fields...but Jimmy G, Mariota or Minshew are not bad consolation prizes. The perfect QB is not going to fall into our laps...diversifying with a wider net is common sense.
We have to go get the right QB, not run a turnstile of scrubs and hope we get lucky.

The standards of the New England Patriots aren’t to be content with not having the worst passing offense, but to have a great one.

Someone has to be there so they aren’t forced to rush the rookie.
My gut tells me whoever they select will be the day 1 starter and and Jimmy will be replaced with a cheap vet option.

He knows the system. Has been to a Superbowl. He wins when he plays. His main thing is being injured. The fact you think this validates for me that JimmyG is actually good.

There's a lot of irony here.

They’re prob desperate to unload Jimmy before or right after the draft, I don’t believe for a second he’s in their plans in any way this upcoming season.

Yeah it sounds much better to get Mac and have gotten a 2nd round pick back, the trade up doesn't feel as bad then.

We have to go get the right QB, not run a turnstile if scrubs abs hope we get lucky.

The standards of the New England Patriots aren’t to be content with not having the worst passing offense, but to have a great one.

Steve Young. But yeah I get it and agree.

My gut tells me whoever they select will be the day 1 starter and and Jimmy will be replaced with a cheap vet option.
They expect to win this year. I think they start Jimmy who they believe they can win with. He knows the system so they can focus on the rookie instead of teaching the system to a new stop gap.
If Jimmy has them at 6-3 ish when the rookie is ready it’s a perfect scenario.
I don’t know why they wouldn’t want him the there.

Steve Young. But yeah I get it and agree.
Young was acquired specifically because Walsh loved him despite not having an opening for him to play. Entirely different.

If his team doesn’t want him, so desperately that they are willing to trade 3 #1s to not have to have him as their qb and the most you think he is worth is a second round pick why would you think he is the long term answer to this franchises problem at QB?
Why should the patriots settle for someone you would trade 3 1s to replace and would be lucky to trade for a second?
You are saying his value sucks, but he’s the answer.

This is a bizarre way you're thinking about this. They're not giving 3 #1's to give him away. They clearly like a QB in the draft and figured out the cost to get their rookie. But yes they don't have a lot of leverage on Jimmy. I was saying a 2nd but maybe the price is even lower.

Young was acquired specifically because Walsh loved him despite not having an opening for him to play. Entirely different.
Bill doesn't love Jimmy G? Don't argue just to argue. I agree with moving up.

The answer he gave was phrased very... strangely... At the end of the day I think NE has an offer on the table and SF is waiting. When draft day comes, if someone like Fields slides and NE could potentially trade up, perhaps SF becomes keen on taking their offer instead of getting nothing and probably cutting Garoppolo in TC.

IMO - getting Jimmy for a reasonable price and drafting Kellen Mond wouldn't be bad at all. I'd rather move up a bit for someone like Fields or Lance if they slide, though...

Yes, this is what I think. If SF gets their guy at #3 (likely) and if NE doesn't get one of the top 5 QBs, then there is probably a deal on the table for JG for a day 2 pick.

My gut tells me he's willing to take a pay cut to come to NE (perhaps that cut comes via an extension).=

I don't think he has a choice. If SF doesn't want him, who else besides NE will?

They expect to win this year. I think they start Jimmy who they believe they can win with. He knows the system so they can focus on the rookie instead of teaching the system to a new stop gap.
If Jimmy has them at 6-3 ish when the rookie is ready it’s a perfect scenario.
I don’t know why they wouldn’t want him the there.
It’s possible, I just look at the massive draft capitol they gave up to get their guy. With that being said, I just don’t feel like they want to keep their guy sitting on the bench, they moved up to get whatever QB it is so he can play. Can’t wait until Thursday...

Bill doesn't love Jimmy G? Don't argue just to argue. I agree with moving up.
Jimmy can’t stay on the field. It’s not just bad luck. He sat out most of a season with a high ankle sprain. On top of bowing out of playing week 4 in 2016 it is really troubling.
Young didn’t have injury concerns and sat on the bench for a few years. I just don’t see the parallel.

It’s possible, I just look at the massive draft capitol they gave up to get their guy. With that being said, I just don’t feel like they want to keep their guy sitting on the bench, they moved up to get whatever QB it is so he can play. Can’t wait until Thursday...
But they won’t throw him out there week 1 if he isn’t ready. Why not keep Jimmy as insurance?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back