PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
spildlad.jpg

Jacoby doesn't have the attributes to excel in this system. Great attitude though.

The Pats obviously did not project Brissett to be a viable long term option as a starting QB.
I disagree with that. If they didn't see him as a potential starting quarterback they'd never have drafted him in the 3rd round.

Jacoby doesn't have the attributes to excel in this system. Great attitude though.

While this is true, people in this forum make too big a deal of this. If a situation arose where you have a different style of quarterback taking over the starter's job, do you honestly believe Bill Belichick of all people couldn't figure out a way to take the pieces we have and make a system where this other starting quarterback could excel?

Remember, Matt Cassel won 11 games here. As long as a quarterback buys in and BB has time to work, I have no doubt whatsoever that he could adjust and build a new plan around whatever quarterback he has. The fact that Brissett plays a different style of quarterback is actually a complete red herring to the question of Brissett being a potential starter here. Obviously if that looked likely to happen, Bill would refashion the offense for the quarterback we had.

Obviously when we change quarterbacks we're going to have to do this anyway. It's unreasonable to expect whoever comes after Tom Brady to just step into the position and be TB12. You always rebuild the offense, both in terms of personnel and schemes, around whoever is under center.

I agree but we are not sure he would get hurt either, so I'd rather think positive on this issue.
This is why I think that BB will take on a UDFA in the next couple years, you want that cap friendly understudy, but there's no reason to start preparing for Brady's imminent replacement.

I disagree with that. If they didn't see him as a potential starting quarterback they'd never have drafted him in the 3rd round.

While this is true, people in this forum make too big a deal of this. If a situation arose where you have a different style of quarterback taking over the starter's job, do you honestly believe Bill Belichick of all people couldn't figure out a way to take the pieces we have and make a system where this other starting quarterback could excel?

Remember, Matt Cassel won 11 games here. As long as a quarterback buys in and BB has time to work, I have no doubt whatsoever that he could adjust and build a new plan around whatever quarterback he has. The fact that Brissett plays a different style of quarterback is actually a complete red herring to the question of Brissett being a potential starter here. Obviously if that looked likely to happen, Bill would refashion the offense for the quarterback we had.

Obviously when we change quarterbacks we're going to have to do this anyway. It's unreasonable to expect whoever comes after Tom Brady to just step into the position and be TB12. You always rebuild the offense, both in terms of personnel and schemes, around whoever is under center.

Given how Dak Prescott has performed without Ezekiel Elliot at this point it seems Brissett is better than the former Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Given that the Cowboys managed to go 13-3 last year Im pretty sure that BB could make the playoffs with Brissett.

Do you honestly think this is the only offensive system Bill Belichick knows how to operate?
I think that it’s what he knows best, so to do anything else wouldn’t make sense.

Brissett seems like an excellent draft pick. He is a starting QB in his second season.

And while he hasn't lit the world on fire, he's certainly acquitted himself better than at least 8 quarterbacks currently starting NFL games: Matt Moore, Deshone Kizer, Mitch Trubisky, Brett Hundley, Tom Savage, Blaine Gabbert, CJ Beathard, and Brock Osweiler, and I'd probably prefer to give him a shot over mediocre veterans like Blake Bortles, Josh McCown, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Eli Manning. In other words, nearly half the league might prefer to have Brissett than their own starter this week.

Do you honestly think this is the only offensive system Bill Belichick knows how to operate?
I agree with that, but that's largely a product of the fact that he's had the same quarterback for most of his head coaching career. When he's had to innovate he's always been up to the task.

I just don't think "but he's not Tom Brady" is a legitimate reason to throw doubt on any young QB with the talent to start games in the NFL. Brissett has a toolset a good head coach can work with an run an above average team. as long as he's cheap, that's all he needs.

All who make judgments that Brisset is a proven star and starter realize, he has not even seen most teams more than once, yet. Think about that. D-coordinators will look at film before the second time.

The catch is that Brissett was filling a different role than Garoppolo. He was filling the role of "QB3 who could hold his own if needed as a rookie while Brady is out."

There's only so much innovation even BB can do. He's built his offensive roster to suit a particular style of play. Sure, he can change that over time, but in the shorter term they are better off with a QB -- like Hoyer -- that can operate in the system than with one who needs a new system.

Why did we draft him then?

Strong arm, decent release, got rid of the ball fairly quickly. The third attribute had to get better every year for the first couple of years. Foe Jacoby the quick release never progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes