PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using your logic:

Hoyer actually managed a winning record as the starting QB of the Cleveland Browns, in two separate seasons, and finished 10-6 in those two years, while non-Hoyer QBs went 1-15. Brissett, QBing on a superior team, is just 3-6.

So, using your logic, Brissett's ceiling is basically as high as Hoyer's footstool.

"Using your logic" ....DI, that's a gentle and kind way to phrase it. Logic is not what's driving this foisting up on the shoulders for Jacoby, it's the emotion of his brief but legendary starting time with the Patriots.
Jacoby definitely does earn a place in the also ran Patriot HoF. But using 10 career games/starts as a sample to compare to 40 or 50 career starts (or whatever the number is) is not valid. Even the Jacoby hanger ons should know this.

Jacoby seems like a great guy and his fill in for JG was legend. I hope he can score a multi that sets him and his family up for life (and he succeeds' on an NFC team). But 'Jacoby is better than Hoyer' lopsided samples for a comparison is lame.

If you are a Patriot fan you should be relatively happy that we got, ahem, lucky enough to land Hoyer as our backup. OTOH Jacoby got his chance to start too, happy for him. Turn...the...page

So, Brissett playing well for others leads you to the conclusion that Belichick was wrong in concluding that he had no future with the patriots and the kind of offense that we plan to run?

The kid is playing some good football the past few weeks.

Unlike Garoppolo we had him under control for a few more years. Trading him has been a mistake, so far anyway.

Happy to see the kid making the most of his opportunity.

Last edited:
Using your logic:

Hoyer actually managed a winning record as the starting QB of the Cleveland Browns, in two separate seasons, and finished 10-6 in those two years, while non-Hoyer QBs went 1-15. Brissett, QBing on a superior team, is just 3-6.

So, using your logic, Brissett's ceiling is basically as high as Hoyer's footstool.

It's amazing what you can do with statistics when your baseline of comparison is a career of less than a full season of NFL games.

"Using your logic" ....DI, that's a gentle and kind way to phrase it. Logic is not what's driving this foisting up on the shoulders for Jacoby, it's the emotion of his brief but legendary starting time with the Patriots.
Jacoby definitely does earn a place in the also ran Patriot HoF. But using 10 career games/starts as a sample to compare to 40 or 50 career starts (or whatever the number is) is not valid. Even the Jacoby hanger ons should know this.

Jacoby seems like a great guy and his fill in for JG was legend. I hope he can score a multi that sets him and his family up for life (and he succeeds' on an NFC team). But 'Jacoby is better than Hoyer' lopsided samples for a comparison is lame.

If you are a Patriot fan you should be relatively happy that we got, ahem, lucky enough to land Hoyer as our backup. OTOH Jacoby got his chance to start too, happy for him. Turn...the...page
I think to most Patsfans, Jacoby was just another backup. Now the glimpse we got of Jimmy G was memorable.

Flutie’s 2 short stints with the Pats was unforgettable

Big fan of Jacoby, if only because he seems to be a great guy with a great work ethic. Hope he makes it big.

I still like the trade, though. WR became a position of need with Jules out and Mitchell doubtful (at the time). The Pats could have stuck in a JAG, sure, but what they have is someone who might well become very, very good on this team, and might be the guy who comes out of nowhere in the SB.

The Pats apparently didn't see Brissett as the heir apparent, even if JImmy G wasn't sticking around.

I'll take Hoyer as the backup over Brissett THIS YEAR, maybe even next. A SB run without Brady is unlikely, but I want a veteran there in certain big situations.

Bottom line for me:
  • I retain some affection for Brissett and JG from their time with the Pats. I wish them well, and will enjoy hearing about their successes. That will all fade with time.
  • If Brady goes down in an important game, I'm much more comfortable with Hoyer in that situation, this year, than I would have been with Brissett. Probably next year as well.
  • The operative descriptor here for Dorsett's floor seems to be "mediocre as a #4 receiver." I'm fine with this being the worst that he can turn out to be, this year and beyond. Brady does a lot of things with average players. We'll see how much he improves with practice and game experience.

I wish Jacoby well ... his success will come elsewhere.

He'll have a nice career if he survives that pathetic team.

Luck has been getting creamed since he was drafted and now Brissett is getting the same.

That's a pattern of suckage.

If the Dolts put Brisket on the market at the end of the season, what do YOU think they would get in trade?
Probably a second round pick.
disagree. the Colts will continue to struggle because the team is mediocre, his O line will get him concussed again, and his market value will go down because of that.

But my main takeaway from these recent QB moves is that Belichick does what's best for the team - but sometimes that means also doing what's best for the players'

Holding Garoppolo or even Brissett hostage for too long - denying them a chance to start - begins to work against you after awhile'

In hand picking their landing spots, Belichick creates a win win situation that also sends the message that BB treats players "right"
who work hard with a good attitude '
'
In the long run, things like that wind up attracting better players who value an organization who treats them fairly
'
Opening the doors for Brissett and Garoppolo to start sends a strong message that will attract other good players/free agents in the future
I think this is a very good point. I recalled recently reading how UDFA rookie Adam Butler had better offers from other teams but chose to sign with the Pats because he knew he'd get a fair shake. This is why.
Adam Butler kept his word to Patriots even when he had better offers

So, Brissett playing well for others leads you to the conclusion that Belichick was wrong in concluding that he had no future with the patriots and the kind of offense that we plan to run?
No it just concludes that we could have received more in return than a mediocre #3 or #4 WR.

Bottom line is this whether Brissett was a good fit here or not we still did not receive much in return.

Any time a qb is involved in a trade, normal values do not apply. They are a prescious commodity, even if unproven, and a premium should be placed on their value.

I’m saying we traded a player that appears capable of being a starting QB in the NFL and received very little in return.

Since the offseason my belief has been that Brissett had the talent to be our QB of the future.

Are you going to contend that the Patriots do not make mistakes and it is foolish of me to even suggest such a thing?
Yep that’s what I’m saying

No it just concludes that we could have received more in return than a mediocre #3 or #4 WR.

Bottom line is this whether Brissett was a good fit here or not we still did not receive much in return.

""it just concludes that we could have received more""
It concludes nothing of the sort. What we received for JB may have been great or it may have been under valued. We don't know because we don't know what was being offered by other teams. Indy's offer may have been the best offer out there. And what Jacoby has done since the trade means absolutely nothing regarding his trade value prior to him having done that. His trade value was based on being a third string QB with 2 games experience, one of which (due to injury) he led the Patriots offense to a rare shutout.

""Bottom line is this whether Brissett was a good fit here or not we still did not receive much in return""
In terms of production we are, to be literal, a net positive. As of week 11 JB would have not played a meaningful snap. As far as what Dorsett has done, I agree his production has not been meaningful enough. Of course the season isn't over and a story isn't written after 10 games, however, point taken that his production isn't close to notable.
Cooks, DA, Hogan, Gronk, White, Lewis, Burk....now MB ....that is quite a lot of targets. I would hope Dorsett would have more catches but his total was unlikely to be too great especially without a preseason w/ Brady. Yet I'd expect closer to 12 to 14 receptions instead of the 6 he has. Fyi, I believe Malcolm Mitchell had about 13 or 14 receptions at this point in 2016. For Dorsett's spot in the receiving pecking order without Patriot preseason experience, a MM statistical performance to this point would have been nice.
Whether he becomes more productive or remains the bottom target feeder? We shall see. Whether Jacoby builds on his relatively decent production with Indy? We shall see. Neither of these stories are etched in stone as of yet.

I wish Jacoby well ... his success will come elsewhere.

He'll have a nice career if he survives that pathetic team.

Luck has been getting creamed since he was drafted and now Brissett is getting the same.

That's a pattern of suckage.

o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill