PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it just concludes that we could have received more in return than a mediocre #3 or #4 WR.

Bottom line is this whether Brissett was a good fit here or not we still did not receive much in return.

Can you stop posting this fairy tale ?

He wasnt worth more substantially more than what we got at the point of time. JB played 6 quarters of NFL games and needed to be babysitted through it the entire time with an offense that limited his throws to mostly screens or play action shots. He developed more as a passer in his short time in Indianapolis than in more than a year here. You cant just retroactively adjust his value in the past just because now that he actually gets more practice reps and game snaps he looks better now than he did back then. That is not how it works.

The trade was smart no doubt. Both teams got something they needed.

Are you rationing your data or something? Shortest post of the year. :D

I love Jacoby but is he a Patriots QB who will sit back and pick apart another team or is he a big play, run for it guy who won't make it through 3 seasons before he is broken down? Guys who can't sit back and pick apart another team just are not worth it long term.
he doesn't really run. Ran a 5 40 too. He also has a cannon deep ball.

I was ok with the trade then and I’m still ok with the trade now. I just don’t see Brissett as the guy to run the team. His mechanics isn’t there. His decision making is quite slow.

The jury is still out on Dorsett. It’s hard for any guy to come in mid season. But I’m just happy to have him because of depth. Let’s see what he can do tonight.
I still think Dorsett could make a play or two at some point, and if it ends up being a 65 yard TD strike in a Playoff game or a Super Bowl the trade will look a lot better.

Jacoby's problem is simple:

He doesn't fit the Patriots system, and he's not a good enough QB to rework the entire system in order to keep him around.
kind of a bad draft pick then huh

At the time of the trade.... Brissett was the third best QB on the team by a sizeable margin to the point where you would have said that if Brissett needed to start, the season was over. That's probably still true. Maybe he will develop later, but he wasn't going to be the steady hand we needed to game manage us to a Super Bowl (which is the goal).

Dorsett was a plug as our WR corps went from being stacked to getting injured.

We basically swapped players of low value for need due to injury

No. I disagree. He would have made it through his rookie contract.
I think so too. I think that Hollister would have been cut if Brissett were not traded. Having a backup quarterback with the talent to become an average or better starter was an important consideration for the franchise and there was no guarantee the franchise could keep Garoppolo after this year. There was a good reason to carry 3 quarterbacks with the third guy on a rookie contract and the #2 guy on a contract year.

When your top 2 quarterbacks are a 40 year old and a guy on the way out, you don't throw away a rookie with years of control left. We did it because I honestly think BB likes Dorsett and we'd just lost Mitchell and Edelman so we needed some extra receiving depth. I think Bill handled that trade very well -- but there were very good reasons to NOT make that trade. I'm convinced that a very real consideration was Bill's faith in Brady, but I also think he was helping Brissett out too. Since TB12 was good to go, Bill decided to let Brissett go fight for an open starting job.

I think this team will draft a quarterback in the third round or later, or signing a veteran backup and picking up a UDFA if Bill sees one he likes. I see us bringing the number back up to 3, especially if 2 of them are rookies. No matter what we need to be able to replace our starting quarterback within the life of a rookie contract that was signed in this offseason. Bringing in 2 rookies gives us a better shot at having one that can play when Brady is ready to hang 'em up.

At the time of the trade.... Brissett was the third best QB on the team by a sizeable margin to the point where you would have said that if Brissett needed to start, the season was over. That's probably still true. Maybe he will develop later, but he wasn't going to be the steady hand we needed to game manage us to a Super Bowl (which is the goal).

Dorsett was a plug as our WR corps went from being stacked to getting injured.

We basically swapped players of low value for need due to injury
I disagree. Jacoby Brissett can not carry a Tom Brady style offense. He doesn't have the skill, finesse or quick decision making. But there are offensive styles that Brissett can perform.

It comes down to how you stack the roster. A Jacoby Brissett that was put on a team with a feature back, where his job was to be cheap and average and let the defense and the running backs carry the offense, could probably win playoff games as he is right now. And I do think he's got room to improve above where he is now.

At least Dorset gets some playing time. Even if Brisset stayed he wasn't going to play any meaningful snaps unless Brady got hurt in which case Hoyer may be the better option. Dorset is not too bad , he has caught some passes and got a PI call in the end zone that lead to points. He needs to be more aggressive attacking the ball but I see potential.

Dorsett is a first round talent. He's got everything he needs to succeed if he works hard.

If he wants the ball he's going to have to work his tail off, and if he wants a contract, he's going to have to start getting the ball. Everything is moving towards Dorsett to be highly motivated to stick this transition and get his name out there with the Patriots.

At least Dorset gets some playing time. Even if Brisset stayed he wasn't going to play any meaningful snaps unless Brady got hurt in which case Hoyer may be the better option. Dorset is not too bad , he has caught some passes and got a PI call in the end zone that lead to points. He needs to be more aggressive attacking the ball but I see potential.
I don’t really get this position that you and others take with Brissett would not have played here. A month ago people were lobbying to franchise Garoppolo so he could not play next season, for the last 3 years all we talked about on this board was the importance of having a good backup QB. Now all of sudden in this thread it is who cares he wouldn’t have played here anyway.

I don’t really get this position that you and others take with Brissett would not have played here. A month ago people were lobbying to franchise Garoppolo so he could not play next season, for the last 3 years all we talked about on this board was the importance of having a good backup QB. Now all of sudden in this thread it is who cares he wouldn’t have played here anyway.

I don't mean he can't play here. It's just that I don't see Brady getting hurt so any backup we have won't get a chance to play. Of course Brisset can play, he even won us a game.

The Pats obviously did not project Brissett to be a viable long term option as a starting QB. Based on what I have seen to date he seems like someone that could last in the league for a long time but his ceiling is probably middle of the pack vs top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News