PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, pats moved on from him, next guy up....life is paved with what ifs....

If that surgery has put Ghost back as a lethal kicker what a HUGE mistake Bill made not bringing him back.

If that surgery has put Ghost back as a lethal kicker what a HUGE mistake Bill made not bringing him back.
What makes you think he would have come back after the team released him?

Yeah, IDK ... I still don't totally trust the guy when I watch him kick the ball.

Over his last few years here he really had to hop and follow-through to get good drive/power on the ball and you can see he's doing that even more now than he did before. I'm not an NFL kicker nor an NFL kicking coach but his mechanics/stroke just look a bit hit or miss to me. Those longer makes he had yesterday seemed to take everything he had.

Is he a better kicker than Folk? Yeah, absolutely. Is he worth whatever additional money he's making over Folk? No, probably not. Helluva career but it was time to move on.

What makes you think he would have come back after the team released him?
My point was not releasing him at all. But to answer your question, the Titans signed him pretty late. I think if Bill had called, he would have answered.

He signed a 1 year contract for frickin $2.75m. Are you saying the Pats couldn't have afforded Gostkowski for that amount.......... ?? On such an important spot. Where he plays a dual role for kick-offs as well as FGs/XPs. And he's been great with targetting the 0 yard line on high hang kickoffs the way BB wants so we can tackle inside 25 yard line on returns.

All that and we couldn't keep Gostkowski? GIve me a break.

What's that $35m cap space being used for now? Nick frick Folk is costing more than $1m already as it is. What are we doing with the $1.7m we're saving?!?!?!?!

Another blunder by BB. We let Vinateiri go when we didn't need to, but atleast we found Gostkowski, with a draft selection that year. But we got lucky. As if it's that easy to replace a HoF kicker with another HoF candidate. He tried to pull the same trick again, with Justin Rohrwasser and it COMPLETELY backfired and fell flat on his face.

If BB gets credit when the gamble works (when we drafted Gostkowski) then he should get the blame when the gamble fails (drafting Rohrwasser).

He had a contract with the Pats. They had to either pay him with the attendant cap hit (just about 5 million I think) , figure out some sort of extension that would reduce it but that was easier said that done since it had already been done (hence one of the reasons the cap hit for 2020 would have been so high) or release him. If you're gonna rant, at least be accurate.

He had a contract with the Pats. They had to either pay him with the attendant cap hit (just about 5 million I think) , figure out some sort of extension that would reduce it but that was easier said that done since it had already been done (hence one of the reasons the cap hit for 2020 would have been so high) or release him. If you're gonna rant, at least be accurate.
The thing is the kicker position= points. One could argue it is the most important position after QB precisely because it effects the scoreboard. $5 million is not a lot to figure out. The issue was if Ghost would be healthy or not. Bill could not stop praising the guy when he was awful so I really don't think it came down to money and moving cap around. Bill thought he was done and drafted a guy that can't kick. It was a mistake on both accounts but moreso the draft pick IMO. Watching Ghost look good is just brutal but whiffing on the draft pick is inexcusable.

It may be very relevant if the Pats meet the Titans in the playoffs, or worse yet, lose out on the playoffs to them..

I'm pretty sure Dion Lewis's rushing skills will have little impact on a Titans-Pats matchup.

The thing is the kicker position= points. One could argue it is the most important position after QB precisely because it effects the scoreboard. $5 million is not a lot to figure out. The issue was if Ghost would be healthy or not. Bill could not stop praising the guy when he was awful so I really don't think it came down to money and moving cap around. Bill thought he was done and drafted a guy that can't kick. It was a mistake on both accounts but moreso the draft pick IMO. Watching Ghost look good is just brutal but whiffing on the draft pick is inexcusable.

I hope you and Captain Stone are enjoying your honeymoon.

Good for Ghost. At the end of the day he’s just a kicker. I understand the argument from both sides. He was a really good and he could also miss at some key moments. Some went too far left that he was solid gold while some other called him the complete choke artist. I think he was really good based on his numbers. But not ultra clutch and not as bad some say. Wish him the best.

Good for Ghost. At the end of the day he’s just a kicker. I understand the argument from both sides. He was a really good and he could also miss at some key moments. Some went too far left that he was solid gold while some other called him the complete choke artist. I think he was really good based on his numbers. But not ultra clutch and not as bad some say. Wish him the best.
He was kicking at a HOF level and was 3rd most accurate of all time when on the pats. He was more clutch that AV and had much better numbers. He was absolutely solid gold for about 4-6 years i.e untouchable.. Then when he came back to earth and was good he was not good enough for the morons here who dont understand how kicking/numbers and percentages work and think a kicker is supposed to kick at insane levels 100% of the time..

Yeah, IDK ... I still don't totally trust the guy when I watch him kick the ball.

Over his last few years here he really had to hop and follow-through to get good drive/power on the ball and you can see he's doing that even more now than he did before. I'm not an NFL kicker nor an NFL kicking coach but his mechanics/stroke just look a bit hit or miss to me. Those longer makes he had yesterday seemed to take everything he had.

Is he a better kicker than Folk? Yeah, absolutely. Is he worth whatever additional money he's making over Folk? No, probably not. Helluva career but it was time to move on.

I think he's worth $1.7m more than Nick Folk. I guess you disagree.

He's missed a lot of key kicks...
He sure has. For whatever reason, he lost his mojo here and it wasn't just very recently. Always seemed like one of the best, nicest guys around. But, he was toast here. Very good kicker, not great, for a long time. But he became increasingly very unreliable here. Is Folk the long-term answer? No, but Gost cooked his own goose here.

Very good kicker, not great, for a long time.
He was actually kicking at GOAT pace at one point. Then he got injured.

how quick some people forget. We did a whole thread on this a couple of years back and I dug into some numbers . At one point and for a while he was 3rd all time in fg percentage. Of The only 2 players ahead of him One played 6 years to gostowskys 12 or something. And the other guy kicked in a done

regardless of any of this you don’t hold 3rd place all time in fg percentage after that many years with just good performances. He was incredible and pissed on AV and I am a huge AV fan

He signed a 1 year contract for frickin $2.75m. Are you saying the Pats couldn't have afforded Gostkowski for that amount.......... ?? On such an important spot. Where he plays a dual role for kick-offs as well as FGs/XPs. And he's been great with targetting the 0 yard line on high hang kickoffs the way BB wants so we can tackle inside 25 yard line on returns.

All that and we couldn't keep Gostkowski? GIve me a break.

What's that $35m cap space being used for now? Nick frick Folk is costing more than $1m already as it is. What are we doing with the $1.7m we're saving?!?!?!?!

Another blunder by BB. We let Vinateiri go when we didn't need to, but atleast we found Gostkowski, with a draft selection that year. But we got lucky. As if it's that easy to replace a HoF kicker with another HoF candidate. He tried to pull the same trick again, with Justin Rohrwasser and it COMPLETELY backfired and fell flat on his face.

If BB gets credit when the gamble works (when we drafted Gostkowski) then he should get the blame when the gamble fails (drafting Rohrwasser).

At the time, we signed Cam Newton with the last mill of cap space left. So without knowing Hightower and Chung were going to abstain and later create more room, I'm ALL FOR the moves that led to squeezing in Cam Newton onto the cap roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots