PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what happened that make Bill completely move away from him. He was unsigned for so long and Bill had to know the hot garbage we have at kicker this year. Kind of a weird situation.

If I recall correctly Gostkowski was going to take up $5,450,000 of space on the Pats 2020 salary cap, and the Pats had major cap dilemmas to overcome early in the offseason. He was coming off hip surgery and is 36, so all that factored into a decision that at that time did have some logic.

We also had the NFL prohibiting teams from bringing players for visits due to covid, a ban that probably extended longer than most expected it to. No teams (including the Pats) could bring in Gostkowski for a visit and attempt to determine if he was healthy enough to play. It was the same scenario as Cam Newton faced, and resulted in both of them remaining free agents for a better part of the postseason.

With that in mind the Pats decided to draft a kicker, so it wasn't as if they had nobody on the roster to replace Gostkowski. Unfortunately for the Pats that decision has to this point not worked out at all.

Good for him. Don’t miss him.
YY819FZ4_400x400.png

He signed a 1 year contract for frickin $2.75m. Are you saying the Pats couldn't have afforded Gostkowski for that amount.......... ?? On such an important spot. Where he plays a dual role for kick-offs as well as FGs/XPs. And he's been great with targetting the 0 yard line on high hang kickoffs the way BB wants so we can tackle inside 25 yard line on returns.

All that and we couldn't keep Gostkowski? GIve me a break.

What's that $35m cap space being used for now? Nick frick Folk is costing more than $1m already as it is. What are we doing with the $1.7m we're saving?!?!?!?!

Another blunder by BB. We let Vinateiri go when we didn't need to, but atleast we found Gostkowski, with a draft selection that year. But we got lucky. As if it's that easy to replace a HoF kicker with another HoF candidate. He tried to pull the same trick again, with Justin Rohrwasser and it COMPLETELY backfired and fell flat on his face.

If BB gets credit when the gamble works (when we drafted Gostkowski) then he should get the blame when the gamble fails (drafting Rohrwasser).

He’s played three games in Tennessee. He’s missed five kicks. He’s had two good games. Let’s not go overboard.

6 for 6 today from 30, 31, 39, 51, 54 and 55 yards.

He was obviously injured when he was here and took a ration of crap from some fans. It's great to see him doing well. I just hope it doesn't affect the Pats down the road.

He signed a 1 year contract for frickin $2.75m. Are you saying the Pats couldn't have afforded Gostkowski for that amount.......... ?? On such an important spot. Where he plays a dual role for kick-offs as well as FGs/XPs. And he's been great with targetting the 0 yard line on high hang kickoffs the way BB wants so we can tackle inside 25 yard line on returns.

All that and we couldn't keep Gostkowski? GIve me a break.

What's that $35m cap space being used for now? Nick frick Folk is costing more than $1m already as it is. What are we doing with the $1.7m we're saving?!?!?!?!

Another blunder by BB. We let Vinateiri go when we didn't need to, but atleast we found Gostkowski, with a draft selection that year. But we got lucky. As if it's that easy to replace a HoF kicker with another HoF candidate. He tried to pull the same trick again, with Justin Rohrwasser and it COMPLETELY backfired and fell flat on his face.

If BB gets credit when the gamble works (when we drafted Gostkowski) then he should get the blame when the gamble fails (drafting Rohrwasser).
I yelled at the TV when Nick missed his PAT, but c'mon. A kicker. Meh.

In equally relevant news, Dion Lewis rushed for 0 yards today.

It may be very relevant if the Pats meet the Titans in the playoffs, or worse yet, lose out on the playoffs to them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back