Camp Observations 8/4 – 8/8
- This according to Greg Bedard of Boston Sports Journal – “Another staple of the offensive practices so far – Mac Jones being indecisive when he has good blocking. Don’t have the film so we’re not sure people are open, but Jones holding the ball has been a growing issue. It looks like he doesn’t trust what’s going on around him. This is an offshoot of the offense getting off to a tough start in camp”.
- Onwenu had a big day in 1-on-1s, He was 3 for 3. Strange had a tough day with Barmore (no shame there) and Lawrence Guy overpowering him. Yodny Cajuste looked good also with three wins over Uche, Jennings, and Mitchell before losing a rematch with Uche
- Defense dominates again with Davon Godchaux standing out
- Tre Nixon had a couple of nice catches in the 11 on 11 portion of practice.
- Jahlani Tavai went down with a lower leg injury. He gingerly walked off the field and may have dodged a bullet. This was after Bill Belichick praised him in a radio interview. This was a non-contact injury
- Matt Judon is not at practice. Anfernee Jennings taking his spot.
- The annual rookie hazing “Slip N Slide” with Matt Slater in charge of the hose. They were doing this to the Rolls Royce song “Car Wash”.
- Pierre Strong took his first handoff of the pre-season. He is back as a full go at practice after missing the 1st 8 practices.
- Malcolm Butler was back at practice.
- TE Coach Nick Caley is still out. Is this COVID related? The team doesn’t have to report that it’s COVID related! I bet Hoyer’s absence was the same.
- James White was not dressed but was working on the rehab field.
- Rhamondre Stevenson was returning Kos.
- Interesting stat I saw today about Stevenson. He is one of only 5 Runningbacks that has averaged 100 yards rushing and 35 yards receiving per game.
- Mac Jones was 7-10 in competitive 1-on-1s. 14 of 19 overall in 11’s and 3-3 in 7’s.
- The offense was a little better on the 16 plays, 1 sack, 1 pressure forcing a scramble, 3 run stuffs, 1 miscommunication between Jones and Jonnu Smith according to Phil Perry.
- Offensive Assistant Tyler Hughes was coaching the TEs.
- The run scheme may not fit Owenu but he has no problem pass blocking.
- LaBryan Ray may have already made the team.
- Davante Parker was covered like a blanket these last two practices.
- Jonnu Smith and Jakobi Meyers had 4 catches each.
- Team Blue (Varsity) under the tutelage of Matt Patricia played against Team White (sub-varsity) with Joe Judge calling the plays. I think we can feel pretty confident in the 37 players dressed for the Blue team will make the final 53. Friday Night practice was a dress rehearsal for what game day would be like including pre-game stretching and calisthenics, referees, and regular halftime.
- This was a full-pads practice, but there was minimal contact. Everything was at a slower speed.
- JuWhaun Bentley tipped a pass intended for Nelson Agholor, right to Jalen Mills for the INT.
- Uche and Herron got into a shoving match and Belichick made an example of them both, throwing them out of practice.
- Parker caught a bomb from Hoyer. It was thrown over the double team of Schooler and Joejuan Williams
- Juden is out for his second straight practice.
- Jahlani Tavai may have avoided a big injury. He watched the proceedings from the sideline with shorts on and a sleeve on his right calf.
- Marcus Jones and Cole Strange were the only rookies on the Blue Team
- Ferentz took reps at RG where Owenu has struggled with the zone blocking scheme.
- Ty Montgomery has been contributing all over the field for Team Blue.
- Cam McGrone would have had a sack if they let him hit the QB.
- Belichick gave the team two days off with the next practices scheduled for 4:00 on Monday and Tuesday in the blazing heat. This has been one of the hottest practice stretches I can remember. This may be helpful when the team travels to Miami to open the season.
- The practice was conducted in 97+ temps with high humidity.
- Thornton was the highlight of practice as he smoked Mitchell with a stop-and-go move at the LOS
- Followed that up by dusting Butler
- Mac Jones to Parker for 30 yards and Parker slammed to the ground knocking his helmet off. He bounced right up and celebrated
- Thornton has DBs looking high and low for him. He is snapping off crisp routes like crazy. Getting better every day – Thompson
- The offense struggled in 11’s – maybe time to give Dante Scarnecchia a call to give an independent evaluation of the O-line. – Reiss
- Worst start of Offense at camp – Bedard. Here are the plays in the series:
- False start by Trent Brown
- Run stuff of Damien Harris
- Incomplete pass
- Stuff of Harris at the handoff
- Flat pass 1 yard that would have been blown up if live
- Incomplete pass
- Sack on a waggle
- 1-yard pass was blown up by Wilson
- Run stuff
- 5-yard flat pass to Meyers
- Wynn limited and Herron in at RT
- 3 of 10, 3 sacks/pressures by Jones
- Patriots offense is hurting Mac Jones development – Henry McKenna’s 1st article for Foxsports https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/is-patriots-offensive-plan-hurting-mac-jones-development
- Results are still not there but the last 2 sets of 11’s were better in terms of plays being run, spread the field, play with pace – Lazar (Note: Evan Lazar now works for Patriots.com and was probably told to be more positive)
- David Andrews gathered the O-line together after practice was completed and his talk was pretty heated and long
- Below standard performance – Reiss – nice way of putting it
- Jon Jones was at CB opposite Mills. He did a little of that in the scrimmage on Friday night
- Marcus Jones was at Slot Corner
- Bledsoe with an INT of Jones to end the practice
- Perkins and McGrone working with the scout team. Both are in jeopardy of making the team.
- Joejuan Williams INT Jones. Covering Parker, windy conditions
- Every camp I visited this summer, all the players were hitting on all cylinders, except New England – Breer
- Asiasi walked off the field and went directly to the locker room with a member of the training staff
- Owenu taking 2nd team reps at RT with Wynn down
- Marcus Jones with a PBU
- Belichick had some nice words for Pierre Strong. “He is behind but is working hard. Glad we have him.”
Wilfork to Join Patriots Hall of Fame
Vince Wilfork will get his Red Jacket on September 24th. The next day he will also be honored at halftime of the Patriots game with the Ravens.
Jets Starting LT injures knee
This injury may be worse than 1st s thought. This should be monitored. Perhaps a landing spot for Wynn and his outrageous salary.
Posted Under: Patriots News