PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he made 5+ kicks in a row. But rooting for him after 01/24/16 was much harder than before... Gost didn't look confident in 2019, and if the cap hit really was five rocks or more, I wouldn't sweat over it

Ghost was 39-44 (89%) on FG in the post season. NEVER missed a post season kick in the 4th quarter. He was also very good at kickoffs. He never had the signature post season opportunities/moments so he is not memorialized like AV was though by every statistical measure he was a better kicker. Like AV (81%) and every other kicker in the NFL he was not perfect. For some reason he takes an inordinate amount of blame for missing an extra point in the 1st quarter of a playoff game in Denver just because the game came down to an XP at the end. He appeared to be declining at the end and with a substantial salary cap hit letting him go seemed like the right decision.

For some reason he takes an inordinate amount of blame for missing an extra point in the 1st quarter of a playoff game in Denver just because the game came down to an XP at the end.
for some reason .... hmmm ... gee i wonder why that might have upset some people

half the problem with Gostkowski was all the people apologizing for him every time he missed a kick... to some he is immune to criticism...

another problem with Gostkowski was it seemed like he was starting to miss (a) kicks in every single game, whether it be a xp for a field goal... you just knew at some point, he would play shank-o-potamus...

As for peeps saying they never should have released him... he was counting over 5m on the cap at a time when he had no cap space.... I would think that BB contacted him about a pay reduction / team favorable extension and was told to go pound sand... So bringing him back at 2.7 was not feasible...

I would rather have nick folk at this point while rohrwasser gets his leg in the game

Lot of posturing here, whistling past that kicking graveyard. Belicheck is great, but he ain't perfect. Not finding a team-acceptable way of keeping Gost was an obvious mistake.

Lot of posturing here, whistling past that kicking graveyard. Belicheck is great, but he ain't perfect. Not finding a team-acceptable way of keeping Gost was an obvious mistake.

Yeah, being an NFL GM is pretty easy. Maybe you should send your resume to the Lions. They're going to have some job openings soon.

Not nearly as obvious a mistake as not finding a suitable replacement.

And what would this board been like if he was signed for $3M (or retained for $5M) and started the season as he did?
Not pretty for a week. On the other hand, if we'd signed him, he would have been in camp not coming in cold off the street and likely /wouldn't/ have started as he did. Remember, he had something like two practices with the team, if that.

Literally makes NO sense to have kept Gost when the only reason we were able to sign Cam Newton was with our last 1M of cap space. So this is the biggest no brainer ever. Cam Newton 1000X times over and over instead of Gost.

Literally makes NO sense to have kept Gost when the only reason we were able to sign Cam Newton was with our last 1M of cap space. So this is the biggest no brainer ever. Cam Newton 1000X times over and over instead of Gost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gostkowski still unsigned when we started becoming flush with cap room, the point being that if Bill really wanted him to return, he could've quite easily signed him?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gostkowski still unsigned when we started becoming flush with cap room, the point being that if Bill really wanted him to return, he could've quite easily signed him?
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I'd be surprised if a team was allowed to release a player under contract and then resign him for less. I suppose it's possible, but I'd think we'd see a lot more of it.

Yes, they could have re-signed Gost after they freed up cap space, had both sides wanted it.

Yeah, being an NFL GM is pretty easy. Maybe you should send your resume to the Lions. They're going to have some job openings soon.
You might consider responding to the point others actually make. But then I guess your need to posture gets the better of you.

You might consider responding to the point others actually make. But then I guess your need to posture gets the better of you.

I'm sorry, was a point being made?

Let's see how we feel about that in the closing seconds of a close game in December or January...
Same way as when Gostkowski was kicking for the Patriots. He could kick longer but inside 40 yard and XP he appeared to be the same as Folk.

Same way as when Gostkowski was kicking for the Patriots. He could kick longer but inside 40 yard and XP he appeared to be the same as Folk.
True dat!
I said to my kids last weekend when Gostkowski had a long kick, "he'll make this, it's over 40 yards."
Here's an idea, maybe his teams should take a few fourth down False Starts on XP's and short FG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back