PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A What If: Bouye over Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Both corners were basically offered the same amount of money last offseason (65 vs. 67.5 mill) but one of them has quite evidently proven to be the superior DB this season. Bouye is 26 right now, Gilmore is 27. Bouye had an excellent season with the Texans prior to hitting FA, while Gilmore had a down year with a Pro-Bowl nod that wasn't really justifiable. Bouye was considered to be a one-year wonder, which left a few teams thinking twice before attempting to sign him. So what if the Patriots had signed Bouye - who was a Texans FA - instead of Gilmore?

I can't understand all the flak Gilmore catches around here.

Did he struggle with communication and assignments early in the season, and has he given up some catches at times? Yes. With that said, the former complaint has been ironed out and the latter complaint isn't due to a lack of poor coverage but rather is the result of very good throws and catches.

He's been our best pure cover CB in my opinion and I'm happy to have him on our team. I have complete trust in him when he's in coverage, which I can't say for Butler in all situations (although Butler is more physical and a better tackler).

I consider him to be not only one of our better defensive players, but one of the better overall players on the team.

Did he struggle with communication and assignments early in the season, and has he given up some catches at times? Yes. With that said, the former complaint has been ironed out and the latter complaint isn't due to a lack of poor coverage but rather is the result of very good throws and catches.

He's been our best pure cover CB in my opinion and I'm happy to have him on our team. I have complete trust in him when he's in coverage, which I can't say for Butler in all situations (although Butler is more physical and a better tackler).

I consider him to be not only one of our better defensive players, but one of the better overall players on the team.
Im not giving up on Gilmore.
I think you may have misunderstood the point of this. It's been evident that Bouye's been playing at a level higher than almost every CB in this league (bar a select few). I'm not trying to say anything bad about Gilmore - whom I think has greatly improved as the season progressed - but would you rather have an All-Pro CB for the same deal as a CB who is great, but not excellent. Just something to think about.

Both corners were basically offered the same amount of money last offseason (65 vs. 67.5 mill) but one of them has quite evidently proven to be the superior DB this season. Bouye is 26 right now, Gilmore is 27. Bouye had an excellent season with the Texans prior to hitting FA, while Gilmore had a down year with a Pro-Bowl nod that wasn't really justifiable. Bouye was considered to be a one-year wonder, which left a few teams thinking twice before attempting to sign him. So what if the Patriots had signed Bouye - who was a Texans FA - instead of Gilmore?

Well bouye has a better defensive line upfront.

Bouye even when you factor in the Jags DL has had the better season no doubt. However, I think Belichick was looking for a bigger CB than Bouye if I'm not mistaken, even though they're only slightly different in listed height. Ramsey handles all the bigger WR assignments for the Jags too.

Bouye even when you factor in the Jags DL has had the better season no doubt. However, I think Belichick was looking for a bigger CB than Bouye if I'm not mistaken, even though they're only slightly different in listed height. Ramsey handles all the bigger WR assignments for the Jags too.
Ramsey's only an inch taller than Bouye however.

Last edited:

A lot of people around here can't admit when the other team makes an outstanding football play, but would rather chalk it up to the Patriots player (in this case Gilmore) being a bust, waste of money, waste of pick, etc.... Is it the case with some players? Sure. But with Gilmore I see a sound cornerback and I see him continuing to get better next year with one year in the Pats system under his belt.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Then bouye would have been blamed when other dbs blew coverage and people would be asking why we didn’t sign Gilmore instead.
True story.

Bouye is the number two corner on the Jaguars. Ramsey is the better corner.

Last edited:

These arguments seem rather inane and cyclical at best, not sure how you can compare these two guys as they play in different systems with a different supporting casts..

I think Gilmore is fine, not sure if he is 60 million + fine though, was surprised at this outlay by BB...

A better way of looking at it is can you envision Bouye playing for the NEP and Gilmore for Jacksonville?? In that scenario would Bouye look as good in this system??

FYI Gilmore did not make the Pro Bowl this year or last year, so not sure where that is coming from..

Bouye plays with a far superior pass rush. He can sit on routes knowing the rush will get to the QB. Meanwhile Gilmore is playing with an assortment of jags and B to C list players on the defensive line. Thats why Gilmore AND Butler are uncharacteristically struggling. Get them a consistently good pass rush and watch the difference. Night and day.

IF James Harrison have something left coupled with the relentless Trey Flowers and D. Wise. Our Backend will be able to take more chances. A good pass rush does wonders for a Defensive Secondary.

Yes, if Coach Belichick had hooked up with Marty McFly and had thus been in a position to retrofit every move by traveling back in time and finding out who was going to excel and who was going to suck beforehand, yes...We could probably field All Pro starters at every position, every year. Yippee Ki Yay. :rolleyes:

I usually despise and sometimes attack the clowns who denounce someone for trying to bring up a fresh perspective...But while I'm not attacking your intelligence, I've gotta tell you that this, as a talking point, strikes me as pretty pointless. o_O

My issue with Gilmore is that he sometimes seems passive after the catch. Saw it a couple of times, like when Benjamin made that tough catch over him and then turns upfield and Gilmore looks just lost. He could use some of Butler's feistiness.

That said, from a pure coverage standpoint I have a better feeling with Gilmore than with Butler. The latter seems to have regressed this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back