PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots TE: Production vs Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blocking isn't considered part of production? Maybe not in your fantasy football league :)

Last edited:
This thread is bad. Funny how so many people here are coming out to crush the GOAT TE because he’s missed a few games.

I say let him rest up, get healthy for January, and then put up 400 yards and 4 TDs over three games.

I was a year late on Gronk. Drafted him 2nd round in my fantasy pool. Now I’m scouring the waiver wire and undrafted.

Seriously though, let’s appreciate what we’ve witnessed from Gronk. Best TE ever. Too bad his body can’t hold up. I’m ok if they hold him out and when he returns they manage his minutes. Most important thing is have him healthy come playoff time.

When healthy, gronkowski is amazing.

Problem is he is rarely healthy, Even going back to college he had health issues.

Some have speculated he could be back after the bye week. Maybe we should see how he finishes the season before putting him in the grave.

he’ll be “back” after the bye, no need to keep playing hurt now

Love the guy but time to part ways w him after this season, guy can't stay on the field anymore

This thread is bad. Funny how so many people here are coming out to crush the GOAT TE because he’s missed a few games.

I say let him rest up, get healthy for January, and then put up 400 yards and 4 TDs over three games.

It blows my mind that anyone is talking about getting rid of Gronkowski because he’s missing a few games. Let him heal up and get ready for the playoff push. It’s like they haven’t learned from the KC game a few years back that had everyone wanting to get rid of Brady and we ending up winning the SB.

Some of the comments here would lead one to believe Gronk is the 2018 TE statistical equivalent of Jameis '10 picks in 3 games' Winston or Marcus '181 ypg' Mariotta.

You would never know that he still ranks 6th in the NFL at his position in receiving yards or is tied for 5th with seven plays of 20+ yards.

Injuries happen. Look at what has happened at WR and RB on this team from the first day of the league year up to today as well.

If you want to get rid of Gronk, then what is the plan to replace him with more production from that position? Tyler Eifert is only a year younger than Gronk and has missed much more time with injuries (only 14 games played in last three seasons). Jared Cook is three years older and much less productive (6 TD in last four years). The only other free agents to be worth mentioning are too old (Benjamin Watson, Antonio Gates, Marcedes Lewis).

That would mean utilizing an early draft pick on an unproven rookie to fill the void. I would prefer to use those on other areas of need - and to fill places of potential free agent departures. Right now the following players are set to hit free agency in March:

Ryan Allen, P
Trent Brown, OT
Marquis Flowers, LB
Trey Flowers, DE
Mike Gillislee, RB
Stephen Gostkowski, K
Jeremy Hill, RB
Jordan Matthews, WR
Jason McCourty, CB
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR
Jordan Richards, S
Eric Rowe, CB

Give me at least another year of Gronk, please. The 2019 roster has other areas in need of attention, especially on defense.

Gronk often is banged up because in times we're short on receivers, like earlier this year, or just on the average play, he is assaulted by from 2 to 4 defenders and he still makes the play. If you want to get a tight end who doesn't draw double coverage, who runs short comeback routes then goes down, then you might comfort yourself with some abstract statistical comparison while another team (despite some missed games due to TE playing so hard and so well and being forced to perform while being assaulted every play) gets to have the greatest tight end of all time who can change games and come up in the clutch when nothing else is working no matter the coverage by the defense.

I'll take the goat myself and savor every game he has left.

Well, Gronk is out tomorrow with back issues, which means he'll be out until after the break. It would be good if he could play against Pittsburgh, and again in every playoff game. (not going to help his personal incentives, but will help this team a lot, which is what all of us want)

Well, Gronk is out tomorrow with back issues, which means he'll be out until after the break. It would be good if he could play against Pittsburgh, and again in every playoff game. (not going to help his personal incentives, but will help this team a lot, which is what all of us want)

He'd better play against Steelers.... :mad:

Patriots need to not lose another game and hope KC loses one. That puts Patriots as the #1 seed.

What act? The one where he’s gutted through multiple games this year injured?

Exactly. In fact he's gutted through games his entire career.

It's not a stretch to say Gronk has probably only been at full strength 50% of games he's played in his entire career. Look back at the game Gronk had against the Colts a few years back when he 'kicked the Colts DB out of the club' and then ran through 5 guys to score. If Gronk were at 100% he would have games like that 6 or 7 times a year. We may never see 'that Gronk' again. Having said that Gronk at 65-70% is better than most (if not all) TE's in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes