PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Belichick played him for 20 snaps because he is useless and adds nothing when he is out there. Or, perhaps Belichick doesn't know what he is doing?

Yes, we overpaid for Allen.

Agreed that Allen can't be counted on to be part for the passing offense.

And no, Allen wasn't ready for lots of reps when Gronk was injured. That certainly doesn't mean that he wouldn't get many more reps if the unthinkable happened after the break, and Gronk missed part of a game or a bit more.

I guess folks think that his involvement is critical given that we have the best passing offense in the NFL so far this year (or one of the top 3).

WASTE OF A ROSTER SPOT?
It seems that Belichick doesn't see it the way pats fans posters see it. It would seem that he is worth his roster spot as a blocker. I didn't check the cap consequences of cutting him now, but there is no need. We need a backup blocking TE (backup to Gronk as a blocker). If Gronk were out, his receiving role would go to RB's and WR's.

And as a longshot, our blocking TE will catch a few passes, if and when he can be trusted.

"It seems that Belichick doesn't see it the way pats fans posters see it"

980x.gif

I've said it for years: this offense is needlessly complex. it hinders more than helps.
I think that may be a bit of an overreaction, as our offense has been excellent in most seasons. One can assume that some of that complexity may lead to the positive result that we’re used to seeing.

It would seem that he is worth his roster spot as a blocker. I didn't check the cap consequences of cutting him now, but there is no need.
Certainly not as knowledgeable as you are in these matters, but I believe his 2017 cap hit is a little under 5m, while his dead cap hit is 4.5m, so there would be minimal savings.

The issue, of course, is that he has the 8th highest cap hit on the entire team, so that’s quite an expensive backup blocker seeing 20 snaps. For comparison’s sake, Allen is in the top 10 cap hits for TEs in the league, so he’s one of the most expensive players at that position in the NFL. I think he’s a fine choice to ride out the rest of the season with (I don’t believe there was ever any real consideration to replacing him), but there’s no way he’s a Patriot again in 2018 when they’ll see a 5m dollar cap savings.

I don't think we have a problem with him being a backup. The issue is that he's being paid more than a 20 snaps per game blocking TE.

All I've got to say is that whenever he gets his first reception those little DB's better get out of his way or someone is going to leave the field on a stretcher.

Now that Marty's back, he may never get that first reception.

I know. I've been trying to defend Allen as much as possible which hasn't been easy given I had very little to work with.

But thank God MB is back. Doubt I'll have to write another Allen post for a while.

Side Note: Watch Allen have a career game Sunday. :eek:

I know. I've been trying to defend Allen as much as possible which hasn't been easy given I had very little to work with.

But thank God MB is back. Doubt I'll have to write another Allen post for a while.

Side Note: Watch Allen have a career game Sunday. :eek:

If Allen gets it together (I think he finally get some looks sunday) and Marty is Marty along with Gronk talk about a crazy 3TE set

If Allen gets it together (I think he finally get some looks sunday) and Marty is Marty along with Gronk talk about a crazy 3TE set

From your lips...so let it be written, so let it be done...and so forth....
giphy.gif

Thank god we signed Marty B...did we cut this guy yet? Or better yet..ship him back to Indy where he belongs. Good Riddance

Thank god we signed Marty B...did we cut this guy yet? Or better yet..ship him back to Indy where he belongs. Good Riddance
Other than to free up a roster spot, I’m not seeing how this would benefit the team that much. Very minimal cap savings.

Also, when will Bennett be able to play? How injured is he? Isn’t it better to have Allen’s blocking ability versus Hollister’s limited ceiling? I dunno, but it seems as though Belichick would’ve cut him in a corresponding move, if that’s what he wanted to do. People can make fun of Grissom, but Belichick appreciated his ST ability.

Other than to free up a roster spot, I’m not seeing how this would benefit the team that much. Very minimal cap savings.

Also, when will Bennett be able to play? How injured is he? Isn’t it better to have Allen’s blocking ability versus Hollister’s limited ceiling? I dunno, but it seems as though Belichick would’ve cut him in a corresponding move, if that’s what he wanted to do. People can make fun of Grissom, but Belichick appreciated his ST ability.

Looks like he is going to toughen it out through a serious injury. A couple of donkeys in the other thread think the Bennett signing will open up more opportunities for Allen :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back