Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Rob Gronkowski

Production: 29 catches, 448 yds, 1 TD, 71% offensive snaps, played in 7 of 9 games
2018 Cost: $8 mill salary plus per game bonus totaling no more than $880,000. Other incentives unlikely.
2019 cost: $9 mill salary

The new deal includes Gronkowski earning $1 million more in per game bonuses and $3.3 million in incentives, reports Schefter.
The tight end can earn a maximum of $3.3 million by achieving three of the four following incentives: $1.1 million for 70 or more catches, $1.1 million for 80% playing time, $1.1 million for nine or more touchdown catches and $1.1 million for 1,085 receiving yards. Gronkowski's base salary will remain at $8 million but could increase to $13.3 million with the incentives, per Schefter.

(Shouldn't max be $12.3 mill)

Dwayne Allen

Production: 2 catches, 17 yds, 0 TDs, 41% offensive snaps, 9 of 9 games
2018 Cost: $3.882 mill salary + likely incentives/bonuses
2019 Cost: $7.4 mill all in ...$6.4 mill salary +(2) $500k bonuses if retained

Jacob Hollister

Production: 3 catches, 35 yds, 0 TDs, 3% offensive snaps, 3 of 9 games
2018 Cost: $558k
2019 Cost: $648k

Yea so? No news flash here.

And?...
At least count Gronk and Allen block. How many dollars for a great block?

It says a lot that Allen had to restructure to stay with the team this year, and if he doesn’t do it again next year he is likely gone. You can get great block tes for less than his cap hit. He had a good catch and run last game so it would be nice if he’s involved more.

It says a lot that Allen had to restructure to stay with the team this year, and if he doesn’t do it again next year he is likely gone. You can get great block tes for less than his cap hit. He had a good catch and run last game so it would be nice if he’s involved more.

You've mistaken me for someone who takes this thread seriously.

And?...
At least count Gronk and Allen block. How many dollars for a great block?

One time in a bar my buddy made a block you just simple can't put a price on. I ended up with a sweet contract run of 3 full years before she realized I was on the down side of my career, and I was a free agent again :).

Trying to put financial metrics on the impact of a TE is folly, what is the value for the number of times that #87 is double teamed so another receiver is 1-1?? How do you monetize the impact of blocking by Allen or Gronk??

Jacob Hollister cannot even be included in this discussion, he has been hurt most of the season and his rookie contract is still in effect.

Combined TE cost: $13+ mill
Combined TE TDs: 1
2 TE sets: 25% of snaps

Current 2018 stats for all TEs:
National Football League Stats - by Player Position | NFL.com

Questions:
-> Will Gronkowski retire after this season given his production decline and continued health issues?
12th in TE catches / 6th in TE yds / tied for 28th in TE TDs / missed 2 games so far.
Most teams would be very happy with those TE numbers.

-> Will BB be willing to do another offseason contract dance with Rosenhaus given Gronkowski's 2018 issues which include health, inability to create separation, lack of production in red zone?
I'm guessing BB would be happy to include plenty of unlikely to be obtainable incentives again. The $9 mill salary might be an issue though.

-> Does Gronk own any leverage?
Without any viable Plan B on the roster, Gronk retains leverage until BB drafts/trades/signs a quality replacement.
Did Yoda BB see into the future when he tried to trade off Gronk this past off season? (Better one year too early than one year too late)
Probably though my feeling about the past Gronk trade rumor was that BB was applying his own form of leverage to get Gronk to the table and onto the field.

Bonus question:
-> Should Gronk find a better acting coach?
His Oberto Beef Jerky commercial with Stephen A gives me douche chills.
His Tide Pods commercial makes me want to set myself on fire.

Combined TE cost: $13+ mill
Combined TE TDs: 1
2 TE sets: 25% of snaps

Current 2018 stats for all TEs:
National Football League Stats - by Player Position | NFL.com

Questions:
Will Gronkowski retire after this season given his production decline and continued health issues?
12th in TE catches / 6th in TE yds / tied for 28th in TE TDs / missed 2 games so far.
Most teams would be very happy with those TE numbers.
Will BB be willing to do another offseason contract dance with Rosenhaus given Gronkowski's 2018 issues which include health, inability to create separation, lack of production in red zone?
I'm guessing BB would be happy to include plenty of unlikely to be obtainable incentives again. The $9 mill salary might be an issue though.
Does Gronk own any leverage?
Without any viable Plan B on the roster, Gronk retains leverage until BB drafts/trades/signs a quality replacement.
Did Yoda BB see into the future when he tried to trade off Gronk this past off season? (Better one year too early than one year too late)
Probably though my feeling about the past Gronk trade rumor was that BB was applying his own form of leverage to get Gronk to the table and onto the field.

Bonus question:
Should Gronk find a better acting coach?
His Oberto Beef Jerky commercial with Stephen A gives me douche chills.
His Tide Pods commercial makes me want to set myself on fire.
Gronk is a horrible actor.

Gronk is dinged up again which obviously has impacted his production......but not as much as you might think. He's likely gonna be active and dinged up or not he's going to have to be game planned for. If he's more like himself that's great for us. Even if he's not he'll still be taking up Titan resources which is also good for us. And yes there's that blocking thing he does....

Gronk is not 100% and it shows. I don’t put alot of stock in those stats, and even if you ignore his value as a blocker, he still had the 2 biggest catches against kc and we maybe lose that game without him.

Lets revisit this in the postseason because the last 3 playoffs he has been active hes come up huge in the biggest games. Sb51-monster game. 2015 afcc-carried the offense on his back. Sb49 -td catch and a couple more key grabs during the comeback. A performance or 2 like that in this postseason alone would be worth 9 mill. Already hes had a huge impact in maybe the biggest game of the regular season.

Last edited:
If Gronk retires next year, does Patriots get any compensation? Since he won't accept a trade...

"Offsides #87 New England."

If Gronk retires next year, does Patriots get any compensation? Since he won't accept a trade...

You are assuming Gronk is done this year which might be possible.

Scenario #2 is what will Gronk do when Bill asks him to take a massive pay cut.

Based on his health and production this year there is no way in hell they are paying him $10m w/ a $12m cap hit. Not happening.

At any rate, if he retires, Gronk's deal would represent a manageable $2m in dead money in 2019.

If he retires then the Patriots still retain his rights in 2019 so any comp they may receive must come via a trade. Same situation as Megatron with DET.

He used to be a lovable meathead.

Now, not so much.
His act is wearing thin.

I am sorry. What is the purpose of this thread? I must have missed something.

Go Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye