PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli "settles" Fraud Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I guess he "gets off scot (!) free" from a legal perspective, but he still had to pony up some cash, including for damages.

A Manning having to pay a fine/settlement is like me having to pony up cash when I put $0.50 in the parking meter to go grab a burrito at lunch

He got off scot-free

A Manning having to pay a fine/settlement is like me having to pony up cash when I put $0.50 in the parking meter to go grab a burrito at lunch

He got off scot-free
Nothing left to add, here. You’ve already covered it.

Just a reminder: Goodell suspended Terrelle Pryor for 5 games when he entered the league as a rookie due to an NCAA violation he committed in college. Pryor didn't break any NFL rules, but the league still decided to punish him. Somehow, Manning being involved in a memorabilia scam as an active player doesn't fit under the punishment umbrella.
The inconsistency of the NFLs punishments are what pisses everyone off. It’s pick and choose.

There are rules for the Giants...

...and there are rules for the Steelers...

...and there are rules for the Ravens...

...and there are rules for (almost) everyone else...

...and then, there are rules for the Patriots.

And fans of other teams (except for the Saints, and now perhaps the Cowboys) wonder why we feel the way we do?

Brady was arguing for his reputation and he’s the one who brought it to court. There was literally no way to get the objective he wanted by settling. He already lost and was trying to reverse a decision. Eli was being charged and he was liable to lose a lot more without a favorable verdict.

Lots of people settle even if they think they are right.

While he did initiate the appeal, the NFL actually filed the initial lawsuit to basically get the courts to say they had no jurisdiction over it.

While he did initiate the appeal, the NFL actually filed the initial lawsuit to basically get the courts to say they had no jurisdiction over it.
Actually I'm pretty sure the reasoning for the NFL filing the lawsuit was because they knew it was coming and wanted to keep it in New York so that it would stay in a court more favorable to the NFL. The NFL was taking a proactive action in the face of a lawsuit that was going to happen unless Brady just gave up. Brady ultimately had the final say in whether this preceded or not. He already lost and was trying to fix it.

Eli had the opposite where he was being sued, he couldn't just say "nah I don't want to go through with this" the way Brady could have, and he was at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News