PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYC Local Announcers on Deflategate

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a Friday of Labor Day Weekend Thread :rolleyes:, but I live in NYC and watched the Local NBC Affiliate's coverage of last night's game. FWIW, here is my paraphrase of the entirety of their commentary on Deflategate. It came at the beginning of the game:

Play by Play Guy: Well, Tom Brady is starting tonight but will miss the first four games of the Regular Season because of what you might remember happened after the AFC Championship Game a year and a half ago. After a long investigation the League wasn't really able to prove that he actually did anything, but the whole thing became a test of the Commissioner's powers under Collective Bargaining.

Color Guy (former player): Yeah, sort of like the Commissioner was saying, "I'm gonna do it because I can do it."

Play by Play Guy: Yeah.

That was it. You'd have thought they were Pats Homers. The New York media recognize a bunch of crap when they see it.

They later ran an absurdly fawning interview with and set of comments by OBJ about his pregame conversation with Brady. They also did a shorter piece with Eli about his conversation with Brady before the game and about how close Brady and the Manning family had become over the years.

Should have taken it a step further and said they did prove he couldn't have done it but, still bravo to them.

Most people won't follow this as closely as those of us who are directly affected by it. That's why the NFL tried to define the narrative "11 out of 12 balls were 2 PSI low". People will remember what they hear first as the truth.

That's one sign it didn't work.

Well for one, carl banks the color commentator played for BB. and BB is still well respected among those in the giants organization. So i am sure that had a part to play in this

Too bad the Pats announcers would never do the same. Almost certainly under orders from Kraft Productions not to. Either that or they're just too busy calling Kraft the architect of the dynasty, relentlessly saying how charitable he is or telling us he used to sit in the stands as well.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that was Bob Papa on the play by play with Carl Banks and Howard Cross on color.

All three of those guys have relationships with Parcells & BB.

Play by Play Guy: Well, Tom Brady is starting tonight but will miss the first four games of the Regular Season because of what you might remember happened after the AFC Championship Game a year and a half ago. After a long investigation the League wasn't really able to prove that he actually did anything, but the whole thing became a test of the Commissioner's powers under Collective Bargaining.

Color Guy (former player): Yeah, sort of like the Commissioner was saying, "I'm gonna do it because I can do it."

So glad you posted that... I heard it too, made a mental note to post about it, and then SQUIRREL!!! o_O

Definitely a Friday of Labor Day Weekend Thread :rolleyes:, but I live in NYC and watched the Local NBC Affiliate's coverage of last night's game. FWIW, here is my paraphrase of the entirety of their commentary on Deflategate. It came at the beginning of the game:

That was it. You'd have thought they were Pats Homers. The New York media recognize a bunch of crap when they see it.

They later ran an absurdly fawning interview with and set of comments by OBJ about his pregame conversation with Brady. They also did a shorter piece with Eli about his conversation with Brady before the game and about how close Brady and the Manning family had become over the years.
I heard that too, and I thought I misheard. Had to back up and listen again. Thanks for posting

I'm not totally sure why the NY media seems to have Brady's back almost as much as the Boston media does, but I sure do appreciate it.

I'm not totally sure why the NY media seems to have Brady's back almost as much as the Boston media does, but I sure do appreciate it.

Yeah, well... I would NOT say THAT about the NY media...

New-York-Daily-News-and-Brady.jpg

Most of them need to shut the front door.

Yeah, heard that on NFLN. Bob Papa and Carl Banks. Those two laid it out as plain as day. Good for them, I wonder if All Michaels and Chris CollinGsworth say the same thing.

yeah I saw the same broadcast.

I heard that too, and I thought I misheard. Had to back up and listen again. Thanks for posting
Yep same here. I watched the NFL Network broadcast with the NY announcers. I was in shock and had to rewind a few times to make sure I wasn't going crazy :) I wonder what Giants fans were thinking when they heard that.

I have Dish Network(not for long) and the NFL network was blacked out again in RI.. really, really sucks.

Sorry I missed that..

Yeah, well... I would NOT say THAT about the NY media...

New-York-Daily-News-and-Brady.jpg

Most of them need to shut the front door.
read the date on that headline.
It was May of last year.
Gary Myers of the Daily News has done a 360 ever since the truth dribbled out over the last year and is now more critical of Goodell than the CHB or MCI.
Put it this way: I'll stack up what Gary Myers has had to say about Deflategate against anything written by the wimps at the Glob since last spring.

Too bad the Pats announcers would never do the same. Almost certainly under orders from Kraft Productions not to. Either that or they're just too busy calling Kraft the architect of the dynasty, relentlessly saying how charitable he is or telling us he used to sit in the stands as well.
The Pats announcers are a bunch of juveniles. An embarrassment to all professional announcers and to the region if theirs was the national feed on the NFL Network.

read the date on that headline.
It was May of last year.
Gary Myers of the Daily News has done a 360 ever since the truth dribbled out over the last year and is now more critical of Goodell than the CHB or MCI.

That may be... at the same time, his early "guilty" verdict is what more people remember. Also, other media... especially WFAN and (shocker) ESPN New York... regularly describe Brady as a 'cheater'.

Yep same here. I watched the NFL Network broadcast with the NY announcers. I was in shock and had to rewind a few times to make sure I wasn't going crazy :) I wonder what Giants fans were thinking when they heard that.

As the old saying goes, "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

The Pats announcers are a bunch of juveniles. An embarrassment to all professional announcers and to the region if theirs was the national feed on the NFL Network.

I guess I'm indifferent w/ Roachie. As long as he gets down, distance the players right and throws a few useful stats out there then thats fine. Hes a little stiff but whatever.

I've made my feelings known about Fauria. My god. What a clown.

Chatham needs to go to the booth. He has a good personality and gets to the point. Like i said last night he stated in 45 seconds what Mingo brings to the team, added some insights and speculated on his role, etc what Fauria over 2 hrs studdered and mumbled over . The fact that the producers didn't let Matt talk until the 4th qtr after 1/2 time was bad production. Amateur hour production on par with a freaking junior high Easter concert.

The Bobs Discount Furniture boys need to leave the country. Zero value from Brillo and Fart.

They should do a "Pierson's Pointers" type of thing (man am I dating myself) b/c Fauria can't do it. He doesn't have analytical skills. I bet Chatham can

Last edited:
That may be... at the same time, his early "guilty" verdict is what more people remember. Also, other media... especially WFAN and (shocker) ESPN New York... regularly describe Brady as a 'cheater'.
well, ESPN is in the tank, so it's not worth listening to.

WFAN is playing to the lowest common denominator.

As for what "more people remember," I actually don't give a flying **** any more. Give it up.

The Patriots have lost the popularity contest among the unwashed masses and I couldn't care less.

In fact, I now believe that Pats fans who still worry about what the haters think are actually part of the problem...not the solution. They empower the haters by arguing with them.

Our obsession with what idiots think has got to stop. It turns us into idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes