PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crucial Taunt - Shyeeah, right

Status
Not open for further replies.

PScottman

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So reading through the threads this morning - I just heard about this new taunt rule. Two times and you're ejected? WTF!? And isn't there an existing # of ejections equals a suspension rule?

What's the % likelihood on Edelman, Gronk or Brady getting tossed from a game this year by this stupidity - 100? Sports rules are best when least subjective. As soon as you introduce and allow emotional and personal biases the rule becomes not about the violation to ensure fairness in the execution of the game, but instead a management tool for referees, management, etc to craft desired outcomes.

And what was this designed to achieve outcome wise that the 15 yard unsportsmanlike didn't? Not a damn thing.

Keep tinkering Goodell and the rest of you dumb%$# lawyers dressed up as owners. No empire lasts forever. Convince enough people your sport isn't about the game anymore and you risk everything you think you're trying to "improve".

So reading through the threads this morning - I just heard about this new taunt rule. Two times and you're ejected? WTF!? And isn't there an existing # of ejections equals a suspension rule?

What's the % likelihood on Edelman, Gronk or Brady getting tossed from a game this year by this stupidity - 100? Sports rules are best when least subjective. As soon as you introduce and allow emotional and personal biases the rule becomes not about the violation to ensure fairness in the execution of the game, but instead a management tool for referees, management, etc to craft desired outcomes.

And what was this designed to achieve outcome wise that the 15 yard unsportsmanlike didn't? Not a damn thing.

Keep tinkering Goodell and the rest of you dumb%$# lawyers dressed up as owners. No empire lasts forever. Convince enough people your sport isn't about the game anymore and you risk everything you think you're trying to "improve".

This rule was enacted last year.

I agree that a player should easily be able to avoid getting two 'disqualifacation elegible' penalties in a game.

Based on what the announcers said last night, it would seem only 'after the play penalties' would qualify for disqualification through this new rule. So if the player charged with taunting got a 'roughing the QB penalty' later in the game he would not be thrown out.

Do I like the rule? no, but it really shouldn't change anything

No its new this year.
The problem is it was a response to Burfict and Talib, and was designed to eject players for excessive helmet to helmet hits or unnecessary roughness. Now it is being used to eject players for celebrating twice. Typical Goodell-led NFL, they cannot get anything right.

I agree that a player should easily be able to avoid getting two 'disqualifacation elegible' penalties in a game.

Based on what the announcers said last night, it would seem only 'after the play penalties' would qualify for disqualification through this new rule. So if the player charged with taunting got a 'roughing the QB penalty' later in the game he would not be thrown out.

Do I like the rule? no, but it really shouldn't change anything
I'm not sure they are right. I believe unnecessary roughness counts toward this.

Like most of the other rule changes enacted by the Goodell regime, it's a terrible one. You might as well just toss the entire team out of the game with the amount of **** talking that takes place between snaps. It's also a subjective rule so you know the refs will screw this one up left, right, and sideways.

No its new this year.
The problem is it was a response to Burfict and Talib, and was designed to eject players for excessive helmet to helmet hits or unnecessary roughness. Now it is being used to eject players for celebrating twice. Typical Goodell-led NFL, they cannot get anything right.

I thought this was brought in because of the Odell-Beckham v Norman confrontation whereby they should or people thought they should have been ejected but now should it happen again, they can be with a ruling.

Meh......the dude deserved the flag and if you can't avoid that flag twice in a game, then coach needs to talk to you
The Panthers play jumping over and done? Personally I think taunting should be tolerated to an extent.

I thought this was brought in because of the Odell-Beckham v Norman confrontation whereby they should or people thought they should have been ejected but now should it happen again, they can be with a ruling.
Yeah that probably was part of it too.

The Panthers play jumping over and done? Personally I think taunting should be tolerated to an extent.

maybe trai turner (#70) was saying some nasty things while he was jumping up and down next to chris harris (#25). although it's hard to believe any ref could have heard what he was saying (if anything).

on the other hand, why wasn't harris penalized for removing his helmet (click image for full size)?

u9SUfV8.jpg

LJ9PxKz.jpg

maybe trai turner (#70) was saying some nasty things while he was jumping up and down next to chris harris (#25). although it's hard to believe any ref could have heard what he was saying (if anything).

on the other hand, why wasn't harris penalized for removing his helmet (click image for full size)?

u9SUfV8.jpg

LJ9PxKz.jpg
It looks like Harris yelled to the ref and he came over and threw the flag.

The problem is too many penalties, so compounding the error by throwing one for taking off the helmet wouldn't solve it. I would choose to read the removal of helmet conservatively and say it has to be an act of celebration (ie by the celebrator) or in 'confrontation'.

It looks like Harris yelled to the ref and he came over and threw the flag.

The problem is too many penalties, so compounding the error by throwing one for taking off the helmet wouldn't solve it. I would choose to read the removal of helmet conservatively and say it has to be an act of celebration (ie by the celebrator) or in 'confrontation'.
yup, i agree too many penalties. but if you're going to be so strict about interpreting taunting, you should be strict in interpreting the helmet removal rule. either call neither, or call both (preferably neither).

There was always a rule on being ejected but it was somewhat ambiguous. Not anymore.

2016 Rules Changes and Points of Emphasis | NFL Football Operations

In 2016:

• A player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls will be disqualified. The types of fouls are:
  • Throwing a punch or forearm, or kicking at an opponent, even if no contact is made
  • Using abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures toward opponents, teammates, officials or league representatives
  • Using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

It's more stupidity from the NFL. Given how it's been trending under Goodell, is anyone surprised? I didn't watch the opening game of the season last night. And I didn't feel as if I was missing out on anything.

Good job, NFL. You took someone who used to invest time and emotional energy into every team in the league as part of his feel for the game, and turned him into someone who didn't give a damn about 2 of the best 4 teams in the league facing off in the first game of the season.

• Using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
I was not aware of this part until the Thursday night game. It was truely a shake my head WTH is going on moment for me. There are lot's of acts during the course of a football game that would engender ill will between teams beside taunting, like launching yourself at the QB head first and hitting him in the head with your helmet.

It really is not hard to actually see EXACTLY when the NFL started to jump the shark...........

August 8th...2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back