PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Cap Space

Doubt it, their agent should be fired if they do unless its a top 5 at the position deal. This will fix itself but I do see this as a very different offseason coming up.
There agent should be fired if they take that approach and it causes them to not have a job, or sign a 1 year deal risking injury or decline.
Contracts are never about the first year hit. That will be more true this year.

There agent should be fired if they take that approach and it causes them to not have a job, or sign a 1 year deal risking injury or decline.
Contracts are never about the first year hit. That will be more true this year.

Noone in their right mind is going to sign a long term deal for less money. 20 teams over the cap, they will be in defense mode. Instead of 5+year deals I think we will see a lot of 2-3 year deals with some players with some desperate 1 year deals.

Why not? The structure will just keep the first year hit low and have it increase as the cap resets.

I get the first year push the money out but there are 9 teams 18+ million over which may not be in a position to do that which is possibly almost 1/3 of the league.

I get the first year push the money out but there are 9 teams 18+ million over which may not be in a position to do that which is possibly almost 1/3 of the league.
That will affect some players but the ones it affects aren’t exactly in demand where they can be picky.

Possibly we could have spent Thuney's $14M franchise tag somewhere else? A more effective use of that money in FA?
My point was that we did not have any cap space because we paid DMAC $10M and Thuney $14M with our last $25M in cap space. I like the DMAC signing but not sure we could not have spent the Thuney money better in FA.
Mccoutys hit was not 11 mill. It was 5.4

Why not? The structure will just keep the first year hit low and have it increase as the cap resets.

I was speaking more to getting players on cheap long term contracts which, if I understood his point properly, seems like something agents would try to avoid.

I was speaking more to getting players on cheap long term contracts which, if I understood his point properly, seems like something agents would try to avoid.
Well agents always try to avoid players getting less than their market. But in this case it will just result in more signing bonus and less 1styear salary. They won’t sacrifice the security and money of a long term contract over that.

Well agents always try to avoid players getting less than their market. But in this case it will just result in more signing bonus and less 1styear salary. They won’t sacrifice the security and money of a long term contract over that.

Good point.

Good point.
It’s going to be musical chairs because of teams over the cap. But the guys without a seat won’t be top players. The aging veterans will probably be out of work and more late picks or udfs will stick.

A good number of players signed long-term deals in 2020.
How many of them came before COVID trashed the season and gutted the 2021 cap?

How many of them came before COVID trashed the season and gutted the 2021 cap?

2:19 PM Edit: All of the below extensions came AFTER the early July agreement to set the 2021 cap floor at $175M. Misread your post. Sorry about that. All of the March free agents signings came BEFORE the agreement. End of Edit.

Several of them.

Deshaun Watson
DeAndre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
George Kittle
David Bakhtiari
Ronnie Stanley
Garrett Bolles
Ryan Kelly
Joey Bosa
Kenny Clark
Budda Baker
Jalen Ramsey
Marlon Humphrey
Tre'Davious White
Zach Cunningham

Last edited:
Several of them.

Deshaun Watson
DeAndre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
George Kittle
David Bakhtiari
Ronnie Stanley
Garrett Bolles
Ryan Kelly
Joey Bosa
Kenny Clark
Budda Baker
Jalen Ramsey
Marlon Humphrey
Tre'Davious White
Zach Cunningham
Thanks, Miguel.. Appreciate the info.

I'm not sure we need continuing reminders that the team failed to use their cap space on trading for a WR, NT or LB. I believe that we were a player away from being in the playoffs.

In fairness to the Pats, they had no cap space left until late in the process when they got money back from the Aaron Hernandez lawsuit and players like Hightower, Cannon, and Chung decided to sit out the year. And I don't know if the Pats felt it was worth wasting draft capital and salary cap to salvage this year via a trade and decided that they can load up this coming offseason.

Like a third of the league is over the 2021 cap right now. There is likely to be some good players cut or traded this offseason. I think the Pats did the right thing standing pat this season. Let's hope they make the right moves.

In fairness to the Pats, they had no cap space left until late in the process when they got money back from the Aaron Hernandez lawsuit and players like Hightower, Cannon, and Chung decided to sit out the year. And I don't know if the Pats felt it was worth wasting draft capital and salary cap to salvage this year via a trade and decided that they can load up this coming offseason.

Like a third of the league is over the 2021 cap right now. There is likely to be some good players cut or traded this offseason. I think the Pats did the right thing standing pat this season. Let's hope they make the right moves.
In fairness to the Pats, a Gilmore restructure would have produced quite a bit of cap money early.

When the season was upon us, Belichick CHOSE not to compete by not signing or trading for help at DT and WR. Yes, I understand that for many of you, getting into the playoffs in the first year without Brady would have been a waste; perhaps we somehow owed Brady a terrible first season without him.

I think that if we had added a DT, a LB and a WR, we would have been competitive for the playoffs., Do you agree? Or is getting to the playoffs so bad a goal that we should give up on any season that we are not competitive for the SB, and save the money until noext year. BTW, if that is the attitude, we should also save money in 2021 for future years. We are unlikely to be competitive for the SB in 2021.

Florio's source suggests a $180 million salary cap, which is above the minimum but not by much. He also gives a strangely specific example of Ndamukong Suh potentially going from $7 million in 2020 to "something closer to $3 million" in 2021 as a result.

In fairness to the Pats, a Gilmore restructure would have produced quite a bit of cap money early.

When the season was upon us, Belichick CHOSE not to compete by not signing or trading for help at DT and WR. Yes, I understand that for many of you, getting into the playoffs in the first year without Brady would have been a waste; perhaps we somehow owed Brady a terrible first season without him.

I think that if we had added a DT, a LB and a WR, we would have been competitive for the playoffs., Do you agree? Or is getting to the playoffs so bad a goal that we should give up on any season that we are not competitive for the SB, and save the money until noext year. BTW, if that is the attitude, we should also save money in 2021 for future years. We are unlikely to be competitive for the SB in 2021.
Are you honestly saying that you would have recommended pushing Gilmore money into 2021? Why? How much?

And you are saying belichick CHOOSE TO NOT COMPETE. You are saying he chose to not make the playoffs knowing he could and all it would have taken was trading for a few jags?

Can you provide a list of these players that got traded that we should have outbid for, so that they guaranteed us at least 4 wins?

Did you happen to watch the qb this year?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back