PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the plan for $27,473,351 in cap space (includes Hightower's money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has dropped a Calvin Johnson reference yet? Come on people, get with the program - we need our typical absurd, unrealistic player targets.

I'm sure almost no one would agree with me, but I would like to bring Revis back. If a Butler trade is happening (and it certainly seems like it is), I really like the concept of a Gilmore-Revis combo. Revis has lost a step, yeah, but he can still be pretty good if he comes back to NE and has to actually TRY, and loses some weight... He has said he's open to a position change as well, so it doesn't seem like he's being very choosy at this point in time.

Personally, I think his poor play in NY and the stories in the media this winter have embarrassed him, and he will want to re-establish his reputation. He knows the system here already, doesn't seem like any better spot to do so. Would anyone else take him back on, say, a 2 year/$15m deal with $8m guaranteed? And a team option for the second year?

No one has dropped a Calvin Johnson reference yet? Come on people, get with the program - we need our typical absurd, unrealistic player targets.

I know you were joking, but if he comes out of retirement wouldn't his rights still belong to the Lions?

I'm sure almost no one would agree with me, but I would like to bring Revis back. If a Butler trade is happening (and it certainly seems like it is), I really like the concept of a Gilmore-Revis combo. Revis has lost a step, yeah, but he can still be pretty good if he comes back to NE and has to actually TRY, and loses some weight... He has said he's open to a position change as well, so it doesn't seem like he's being very choosy at this point in time.

Personally, I think his poor play in NY and the stories in the media this winter have embarrassed him, and he will want to re-establish his reputation. He knows the system here already, doesn't seem like any better spot to do so. Would anyone else take him back on, say, a 2 year/$15m deal with $8m guaranteed? And a team option for the second year?

I wrote nearly the exact same thing on the Revis thread. Revis has lost a half step but that was a lost year due to motivation and injuries. A motivated Revis, assuming he's healthy, in my opinion is still a top corner. The plays I saw him get beat on last year were either great throws or catches, or a speed burner. I thought he was still decent, just not Revis Island. In shape and I think he becomes a great deal.

If he signs for the minimum, by the way, he gets 6 million no matter what from the Jets. I don't think any teams will give him more than the minimum because he gets that salary no matter what another team gives. Of course that assumes other teams won't give him more than 6 million.

I know you were joking, but if he comes out of retirement wouldn't his rights still belong to the Lions?

Yes, and there is no chance he will play again. His body said NO

I think there is players that other teams are always trying to trade because there cap hit doesn't fit there rebuild or situation therefore for the first time in a long time we can if we wish take a player and flip the 6th rounder. Maybe there is a corner on the market that no one knows about publically on 12m that a team wants rid of, imagine that flipping a 6th and upgrading after getting a first rounder for Butler. Other spots also like dare I say Sheldon Richardson who has a year on his contract at 8m. compensation would be a 3rd down the line afterwards!

Like I said, I think there is other stuff going on no one is privvy to and wouldn't surprise me if a corner was signed. Normally we flip a pick for jags and turn them into champions though.

I don't think we'll see anymore big FA signings. I think they'll let the Butler situation play out and maybe make a couple of more smaller signings for one or two year deals. Outside of that, they'll probably roll most of that toward next year. As PFK pointed out, there are a couple of contracts that jump next season and I suspect the Pats want to have enough on hand to handle them.

Don't forget that you wanna have some spare change in the bank if you wanna successfully be able to sell people on the idea that you can carry Jimmy on the franchise tag for a year. If no one buys it after you apply the tag then you have lost a lot of leverage for potential trade talks.

I wrote nearly the exact same thing on the Revis thread. Revis has lost a half step but that was a lost year due to motivation and injuries. A motivated Revis, assuming he's healthy, in my opinion is still a top corner. The plays I saw him get beat on last year were either great throws or catches, or a speed burner. I thought he was still decent, just not Revis Island. In shape and I think he becomes a great deal.

If he signs for the minimum, by the way, he gets 6 million no matter what from the Jets. I don't think any teams will give him more than the minimum because he gets that salary no matter what another team gives. Of course that assumes other teams won't give him more than 6 million.
Now that last point has been confusing me. I thought he only got that 6 mil if he did not sign with another team.

I would like NE to deploy some of their remaining cap surplus and hire Match.Com to find brides for all Patriots bachelors so they don't face the same fate as Malcolm Butler.

I'll take a one year 25 mill extension as the board's independent investigator.

Sorry you've got the wrong address, you're looking for 345 Park Avenue around the corner

If you cut through all the media narrative BS and all the homer and "big name" crap it is an tempting idea..

The issue with Revis is that after he had no motivation to stay in shape and give it all at the Jets for 17m last year I just have no confidence that he will go through the notoriously tough weekly Patriots prep grind for 6m (or actually free). He has been here, he knows that while this is a successful place it is definitely not a "fun" environment.

Additionally, the only reason he'd play next year is to rebuild value so he can attempt another cash grab a year later. Otherwise why bother going through all this if 6m are guaranteed anyway ?

And that doesn't even touch yet on his potential physical decline. I don't care how old he is or how other players at the same position played well 5 years longer than him. If his body says no, then it is a no.

From the outside there are so many red flags that I am not really interested in going that route. That being said, I trust BB's judgement so maybe there is a chance..

Also includes MB's #3.9... will probably restructure Amendola, so that will bring it back up to over $30 Million.. that is a lot of cash to spend.

That is a lot of money to spend on this year's edition of your New England Patriots.. be curious to see what they have in mind.

Connor Barwin, a former binkie of the draft folks?? Jamaal Charles?? Jarred Cook?? Dontari Poe?? Johnathan Hankins?? There does not seem to be a lot left out there in terms of what this team needs.

Should they look at some some O line help, Nick Mangold?? Unidentified outside pass rusher_______...??

Making sure they have JG under contract next year.. so I don't know how much they can roll over but I am guessing they will be rolling over the maximum amount so they can franchise JG then start him in 2019 lol.. just a theory.

Spend half of it to get Brock O and a Round 2 pick obviously.

Kidding.

Kinda kidding?

No, definitely kidding.

Now that last point has been confusing me. I thought he only got that 6 mil if he did not sign with another team.

(Sorry for being long winded below. I wish I could be concise.)

The Jets have a clause for the $6 million guaranteed that Revis gets this year. Any money a team signs him for goes back to the Jets up to $6 million.

So, for instance, if a team signs him for 1 million, then the Jets pay 5 million and the team pays 1 million.

If a team signs him for 5.9 million, the Jets only pay $100,000.

Let's say last year he was great and was Revis Island, but the Jets wanted to rebuild and cut him anyway. If a team signed him for 9 million, they would pay all 9 million because it exceeds the 6million guarantee.

If we assume his down year and age means no team is going to exceed $6 million, then no team will sign him for more than the minimum. Revis won't care because he gets $6 million and teams have zero motivation to pay more than the minimum.

So at this point, it's pretty much where Revis wants to play. His salary's going to be the same $6 million wherever he goes. Very few teams don't need a good corner, Revis' legal troubles seemingly are behind him, and I'm pretty sure teams would gamble on him being in shape considering it would only cost the minimum.

Reports today said Mevis would play for the vet minimum. That's a major ego check right there and I'd pounce ALL over that. Putting him on number 2 receivers? BB would once again put him in position to succeed. Plus we need all the DB help we can get with that schedule coming up.

Reports today said Mevis would play for the vet minimum. That's a major ego check right there and I'd pounce ALL over that. Putting him on number 2 receivers? BB would once again put him in position to succeed. Plus we need all the DB help we can get with that schedule coming up.

Something is wrong about this.. its weird last season he was saying he just doesn't have it anymore. He made other references too, something about not trying as hard or something.. I can't remember but as much as I hate the Jets I have little respect for a guy who cashes in 17 million dollars and shows up to camp like he ate a thanksgiving meal every day in the off season.

Vet minimum I guess.. but it doesn't seem right to me. Unless he is ashamed of himself for what happend last season. This surprises me in fact.

So much money, too bad there's no one to spend it on...

Luckily we don't have a class act underdog story top 5 CB 2x Super Bowl champion entering the prime of his career needing an extension or something...

I would extend Cooks before he gets too expensive. Not sure what else if we are trading Butler. I dont see many free agents out there that we really need at this point. We need a DE but theres not really any left that I would like.

Solder extension would actually lower our cap space this year.

Maybe a White or Lewis extension. Maybe they have more trade targets too who knows.

I would probably just role over the rest because not much I can think to do with it lol.

The Falcons are going to threaten to go 19-0 this year as well.

giphy.gif

Adam Seward is out there. Might be a bit too expensive. I'd offer him the farm though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back