PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the plan for $27,473,351 in cap space (includes Hightower's money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Seward is out there. Might be a bit too expensive. I'd offer him the farm though.

He has the four 1st round draft pick tender on him though.

I mean, I'd obviously do it but we don't even have one this year.

Carry it over to next year and sign Jimmy long term

And keep Brady

The Falcons are going to threaten to go 19-0 this year as well.

Carolina - Tampa Bay and maybe New Orleans says hi...they are in a tough division.

Currently, according to Miguel, we have about $53,000,000 million available in cap space next year... if we roll over the $27 Million from this year do we then have $80 million available for the 2018 season???

That is a lot of available money, difficult to comprehend how they will spend all of that..

Do not think they will franchise Jimmy Garapolo... that would defy the economic system of the Patriots.

I sincerely doubt they will restructure Amendola at this point. Forcing him to take a paycut and then leaving it all in the slush fund would be a big fat finger in the eye to a guy who's done nothing but be a good soldier and come through in the clutch since he joined the team, and the Patriots are frankly better with him than without him.

(Sorry for being long winded below. I wish I could be concise.)

The Jets have a clause for the $6 million guaranteed that Revis gets this year. Any money a team signs him for goes back to the Jets up to $6 million.

So, for instance, if a team signs him for 1 million, then the Jets pay 5 million and the team pays 1 million.

If a team signs him for 5.9 million, the Jets only pay $100,000.

Let's say last year he was great and was Revis Island, but the Jets wanted to rebuild and cut him anyway. If a team signed him for 9 million, they would pay all 9 million because it exceeds the 6million guarantee.

If we assume his down year and age means no team is going to exceed $6 million, then no team will sign him for more than the minimum. Revis won't care because he gets $6 million and teams have zero motivation to pay more than the minimum.

So at this point, it's pretty much where Revis wants to play. His salary's going to be the same $6 million wherever he goes. Very few teams don't need a good corner, Revis' legal troubles seemingly are behind him, and I'm pretty sure teams would gamble on him being in shape considering it would only cost the minimum.

Is there any reason you can't sign Revis to a 2 year deal with say $1m the first year and $15m the second year and then guarantee $7m of it in the 2nd year, so its effectively an $8m/yr deal but structured cleverly to avoid paying out most of it against the Jets offset?

The Falcons are going to threaten to go 19-0 this year as well.

There can be only one..... The Falcons play the Pats this season, likely on opening night.

I sincerely doubt they will restructure Amendola at this point. Forcing him to take a paycut and then leaving it all in the slush fund would be a big fat finger in the eye to a guy who's done nothing but be a good soldier and come through in the clutch since he joined the team, and the Patriots are frankly better with him than without him.
There is no way they can pay him over 6 million regardless of cap space. It's just throwing it out the window.

Is there any reason you can't sign Revis to a 2 year deal with say $1m the first year and $15m the second year and then guarantee $7m of it in the 2nd year, so its effectively an $8m/yr deal but structured cleverly to avoid paying out most of it against the Jets offset?
Why would you pay him that much?

Currently, according to Miguel, we have about $53,000,000 million available in cap space next year... if we roll over the $27 Million from this year do we then have $80 million available for the 2018 season???

That is a lot of available money, difficult to comprehend how they will spend all of that..

Do not think they will franchise Jimmy Garapolo... that would defy the economic system of the Patriots.
I would imagine we do a combination of extensions (solder, flowers, ealy, cooks, other younger guys getting fine early) and signing some one year depth deals. Pay a little more because we have it available instead of longer terms
Of course trades could be happening too.

Also includes MB's #3.9... will probably restructure Amendola, so that will bring it back up to over $30 Million.. that is a lot of cash to spend.

That is a lot of money to spend on this year's edition of your New England Patriots.. be curious to see what they have in mind.

Connor Barwin, a former binkie of the draft folks?? Jamaal Charles?? Jarred Cook?? Dontari Poe?? Johnathan Hankins?? There does not seem to be a lot left out there in terms of what this team needs.

Should they look at some some O line help, Nick Mangold?? Unidentified outside pass rusher_______...??
got to more happening, just because I want more

They certainly have the ammo to resign Butler if it turns out that NO doesn't offer him a "market deal". Something in the $10MM range would be a win for the Pats.

But it should be noted that there while the cap is likely to go up next year so are some charges. IIRC, Brady's cap number takes a big jump, as well as Gronks' and some others. That's why I think keeping Butler THIS season at $4MM and then seeing what happens is the best idea.

By then you will know what you really have with the Jones boys. How good Gilmore is in this system. Then Malcolm REALLY can get paid and his departure mitigated by the development of the Jones boys, any new draft pick or FA, and.....another ring.
I think SP would have to flat out not want him any more for us to get him back

absorb Romo as Brady insurance for one year, piss off a couple AFC teams, trade Jimmy for pick 1 and 12???:confused:

There can be only one..... The Falcons play the Pats this season, likely on opening night.

I don't see us playing ATL week 1 let alone banner night. Yeah it would get a lot of viewers..but it will anyways. Save the game for mid season. It will most likely be SNF or MNF mid season.

Why would you pay him that much?

My point was much more about the structure of the contract than the actual dollar amount.

Say BB determines a fair value for Revis is $5m for playing in 2017; amount chosen purely for illustrative value. Obviously it makes no sense to pay him $5m as that just adds cap space for the Jets. So instead pay him $1m(~vet minimum) for 2017 and push a guaranteed $4m out into a phony 2nd year.

Is there any reason such a contract is not allowed? Or wouldn't work?

With all that money I would love to get Butler back and Mangold to bring that reinforcement on the o-line. Other than that I think we are all set.

Man, with such a good team so far under the salary cap, Kraft is going to make a killing this year. Good for him, he's the best owner in American professional sports, he deserves to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back