PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the plan for $27,473,351 in cap space (includes Hightower's money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking build a few more schitty stores down in Jonathan City.....

Also includes MB's #3.9... will probably restructure Amendola, so that will bring it back up to over $30 Million.. that is a lot of cash to spend.

That is a lot of money to spend on this year's edition of your New England Patriots.. be curious to see what they have in mind.

Connor Barwin, a former binkie of the draft folks?? Jamaal Charles?? Jarred Cook?? Dontari Poe?? Johnathan Hankins?? There does not seem to be a lot left out there in terms of what this team needs.

Should they look at some some O line help, Nick Mangold?? Unidentified outside pass rusher_______...??
Good post. Yes restructure Amandola and extend Solder. That frees up a significant amount.
Has any of this cash left have to do with a Brady extension? Anybody have the 411 on that?
If not, my pleasant thoughts are to sign Malcom. I think Mr. B's terms were fair. The Patriots knwo that if they sign him for three years at $10mm by year three he is cheap pending CAP.

I cannot believe that they would take a second for a top ten CB unless there is an underlying issue we are not privy to.

Barwin make sense. He could be the 2017 Long and perhaps have more sack production. I think he would come here reasonable.

If for some strange reason BB decides to let Malcom walk, is the relationship with Revis terminal? Would a new lease on his career back in N.E. Would he take $6-$7mm?

Hankins? Why not. He is only 25 but he wants a multi-year deal. Branch will be 33. Malcom Brown has had his moments but was benched for inconsistency at one point. Hankins is an upgrade on Valantine for sure. As a young man I am sure Hankins is sweating out a new deal at this late time in FA. I like Hankins disruptive play. He is more Wilfork-like than any DT we have now. Again another young player who could star here. The only issue...why haven't the Giants signed him back???

Another guy who would like to go out of the League in his last few years with a Championship that would have a chip is DE Mario Williams on a one year prove it. He has always been respected by BB.

Here is my sleeper FA. Hiding in the weeds. Devin Taylor DE Lions.

Kid is only 27. 6'7" and 275 and can move. 11.5 sacks the last two years. Was a Teammate of new Pats CB Gilmore. Did not get the attention at South Carolina because of Clowney.

Played out his rookie contract. Maybe three years at $3mm?

Alfred Morris could certainly play the Blount role. Multi time 1000 yd.guy 2 years younger 222lbs rusher. Most likely a Cowboys cut. $1.2mm salary.
Right i n the Pats wheelhouse.

My final choices:
Malcom Butler=$10mm for three
Hankins=$4mm for three
Taylor=$3mm for three
>$17mm and we still have CAP

Youth and talent.
DW Toys

I would bring in Nick Mangold, Connor Barwin, and DeAndre Levy if he's healthy enough. It's a young team overall and they would bring veteran presence to their units as well as the hunger for a ring that Long brought last season. I would also welcome Blount back if he takes their deal.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this. Year after year, we watch other teams sign multiple big-name FAs to big contracts, trade away draft picks for shiny wide receiver toys, and get crowned Champions of the Offseason...and we laugh at them. Let them make the splashy moves and put themselves in cap hell, we build slow and steady for the future.

Now we're the ones trading away our draft and snapping up flashy FAs. Huh? And yet we've retained the entire core of a Superbowl winning team alongside those new acquisitions, AND have plenty of cap space left!

Seriously, what the heck? I've never seen anything like it.
The difference is, those are teams are usually signing the flashy FA to contracts that are unsupportable moving forward. See Revis, Daryl plus any number of other examples. The Pats have signed acquired flashy FAs and still have 30 million left under the cap.

depth.

BB has all the room he needs to add a bunch of 1 year deals. With his keen insight on who is and is not a good fit with The System I'm interested to see who he picks up.

FYI they have something like $53,000,000 available next year, so this is an anomaly it seems to be part of a plan..

Still cannot see paying MB more than $3.9 this year, maybe next year can pay him what we think he is worth.. but do not see it this year. Maybe if and when he signs his tender, then the Pats can sign him long term beginning next year.

Maybe BB and the braintrust can start a correspondence course on how to build a team in the salary cap era..

The Falcons are going to threaten to go 19-0 this year as well.

As I look at the current cap situations for 2017 & 2018 as well as the 2018 FA list, I'm starting to wonder if BB will actually do something unprecedented and allocate two QBs about 40 million in cap space.

This team is next to set. Even if Butler is extended, Amendola restructure + Hernandez conviction will cover his hit.

With rollover we may have 70+ million in cap space next season.

Good post. Yes restructure Amandola and extend Solder. That frees up a significant amount.
Has any of this cash left have to do with a Brady extension? Anybody have the 411 on that?
If not, my pleasant thoughts are to sign Malcom. I think Mr. B's terms were fair. The Patriots knwo that if they sign him for three years at $10mm by year three he is cheap pending CAP.

I cannot believe that they would take a second for a top ten CB unless there is an underlying issue we are not privy to.

Barwin make sense. He could be the 2017 Long and perhaps have more sack production. I think he would come here reasonable.

If for some strange reason BB decides to let Malcom walk, is the relationship with Revis terminal? Would a new lease on his career back in N.E. Would he take $6-$7mm?

Hankins? Why not. He is only 25 but he wants a multi-year deal. Branch will be 33. Malcom Brown has had his moments but was benched for inconsistency at one point. Hankins is an upgrade on Valantine for sure. As a young man I am sure Hankins is sweating out a new deal at this late time in FA. I like Hankins disruptive play. He is more Wilfork-like than any DT we have now. Again another young player who could star here. The only issue...why haven't the Giants signed him back???

Another guy who would like to go out of the League in his last few years with a Championship that would have a chip is DE Mario Williams on a one year prove it. He has always been respected by BB.

Kid is only 27. 6'7" and 275 and can move. 11.5 sacks the last two years. Was a Teammate of new Pats CB Gilmore. Did not get the attention at South Carolina because of Clowney.

Alfred Morris could certainly play the Blount role. Multi time 1000 yd.guy 2 years younger 222lbs rusher. Most likely a Cowboys cut. $1.2mm salary.

My final choices:
Hankins=$4mm for three
Taylor=$3mm for three

Youth and talent.
DW Toys

Nice find with Taylor, DW!
Intriguing.

My final choices:
Hankins=$4mm for three
Taylor=$3mm for three

Youth and talent.
DW Toys

Alfred Morris always impressed me, although I'd be interested in hearing more on why he might be cut by the Cowboys. To my untrained eye, and in limited viewing, I think Morris runs in much the same way as Jonas Gray did against the Colts - following blocks and staying within the scheme, always moving forward without trying to get too fancy, and no happy feet.

Not expecting Revis to show up for $6-7 million, as he makes 6 from the Jets just for sitting at home, according to some other posters.

They can roll the cap space into next year, so expect them to leave $10 to $15M unused to plan for franchising Jimmy G.

Interesting topic.

Toys gave us an interesting and previously unknown (to me) player in Taylor. Good length and speed averaging almost 6 sacks per year (any QB pressure/hits stats, snap count stats?) I'm still looking for more help at edge rusher

Mangold seems like any easy short term upgrade at C. Andrews is "OK", but no longer has a ceiling. He is what he is, and with Mankins we can do better (which seems to be motto for this off season)

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the best outome of the Butler saga IMO would be for him to come back at the $4MM cap number and move on in 2018. We have 2 young CB's in development who potentially could fill the Ryan mold. Having Butler back for one more, would give them another year to make sure what we have. And hopefully Gilmore gives us a bigger Butler. Plus taking a shot at Sydney Jones at CB in rounds 3-5 would be further Butler insurance. So I think we'd be OK at CB.

Then the only thing I think we lack on either side of the ball would a LB with Ryan Shazier's set of skills. By Trading Jimmy to the Brown for the 12th and other stuff, we could still trade down 5-1o picks and still get Hassan Reddick, who is has a unique set of skills that would fit well with this defense right away

If all that happene then I think I'd have to go get a change of underwear. ;)

A couple of the guys they brought in will need extensions if they work out (Ealy, Cooks). Butler's still there, and Jimmy G. Several others - Van Noy, McLellin, Rowe - will need to be extended or replaced.

Right now they have seven starting caliber DL: Branach, Brown, Valientine at DT; Nink, Ealy, Flowers at DE; Guy at both.

How many will they carry? Do you really bring in an Odrick as #8? Wouldn't you want to get a nice draft pick in the mix to develop at that level of playing time?

They may make a couple of moves - IOL (Mangold? Is Tre Jackson done?), LB, maybe a Revis-type corner deal if Butler leaves - but I really like the idea of them staying well under the cap year-after-year. BB with flexibility is a master.

Mevis, Mangold and AP, sign those beasts! :p:p:p

I'll take a one year 25 mill extension as the board's independent investigator.

I appreciate that you told me you didn't need my cell phone as part of your investigation. When I dispose of that, which is my personal property, I'll expect you won't call it "one of the worst decisions in all of my years of investigating."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back