PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the plan for $27,473,351 in cap space (includes Hightower's money)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Also includes MB's #3.9... will probably restructure Amendola, so that will bring it back up to over $30 Million.. that is a lot of cash to spend.

That is a lot of money to spend on this year's edition of your New England Patriots.. be curious to see what they have in mind.

Connor Barwin, a former binkie of the draft folks?? Jamaal Charles?? Jarred Cook?? Dontari Poe?? Johnathan Hankins?? There does not seem to be a lot left out there in terms of what this team needs.

Should they look at some some O line help, Nick Mangold?? Unidentified outside pass rusher_______...??

Cap Space=27,473,351‏ @patscap
New Patriots salary cap space number which accounts for EVERYONE (signed and tendered) is $27,473,351. Yes, everyone also means Dont'a.

how much can we roll forward?

They certainly have the ammo to resign Butler if it turns out that NO doesn't offer him a "market deal". Something in the $10MM range would be a win for the Pats.

But it should be noted that there while the cap is likely to go up next year so are some charges. IIRC, Brady's cap number takes a big jump, as well as Gronks' and some others. That's why I think keeping Butler THIS season at $4MM and then seeing what happens is the best idea.

By then you will know what you really have with the Jones boys. How good Gilmore is in this system. Then Malcolm REALLY can get paid and his departure mitigated by the development of the Jones boys, any new draft pick or FA, and.....another ring.

Taking into account injuries had something to do with the decline in their play, both Revis and Mangold could be inexpensive additions with BB finding them a useful role. Both seem to have something to prove and wan't to continue playing.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this. Year after year, we watch other teams sign multiple big-name FAs to big contracts, trade away draft picks for shiny wide receiver toys, and get crowned Champions of the Offseason...and we laugh at them. Let them make the splashy moves and put themselves in cap hell, we build slow and steady for the future.

Now we're the ones trading away our draft and snapping up flashy FAs. Huh? And yet we've retained the entire core of a Superbowl winning team alongside those new acquisitions, AND have plenty of cap space left!

Seriously, what the heck? I've never seen anything like it.

They certainly have the ammo to resign Butler if it turns out that NO doesn't offer him a "market deal". Something in the $10MM range would be a win for the Pats.

But it should be noted that there while the cap is likely to go up next year so are some charges. IIRC, Brady's cap number takes a big jump, as well as Gronks' and some others. That's why I think keeping Butler THIS season at $4MM and then seeing what happens is the best idea.

By then you will know what you really have with the Jones boys. How good Gilmore is in this system. Then Malcolm REALLY can get paid and his departure mitigated by the development of the Jones boys, any new draft pick or FA, and.....another ring.

Brady has always been open to moving money to ensure the team is equipped to make moves. I like Jon Jones, am down on Cyrus, and am not sure why Coleman was kept over Leblanc. Butler is worthy of being paid within reason and if the two sides can reach an understanding all the better. On defense I personally value having elite talent on the back end of the defense. Having Butler and Gilmore locked up could potentially give us the best tandem of corners in the Belichick era.

how much can we roll forward?

you don't roll forward so much as accelerate future cap hits if you really can't find someone to spend the money on

I don't think we'll see anymore big FA signings. I think they'll let the Butler situation play out and maybe make a couple of more smaller signings for one or two year deals. Outside of that, they'll probably roll most of that toward next year. As PFK pointed out, there are a couple of contracts that jump next season and I suspect the Pats want to have enough on hand to handle them.

I said this in the other thread but I'm going to say it again.

Having cap room is not always just about signing free agents. There are other ways to utilize it, and that's what shrewd teams do.

One way of using excess cap space is using it for extensions. For example, there's been a lot of talk that Tom Brady and the front office are possibly talking about hammering out an extension. Let's say they agree to a 2-year extension. Often times extensions in the NFL work by adding on to an existing contract, and then bumping up existing salaries.

Brady's cap hit over the next 3 years looks like this:
2017 - $14M
2018 - $22M
2019 - $22M

Maybe they say, "hey, we'll add two years to your contract. We'll give you a 2-year, $50M extension" (this is all totally hypothetical for the sake of discussion). On paper, that would look like this maybe:

2017 - $14M
2018 - $22M
2019 - $22M
2020 - $24M
2021 - $26M

Well, they could instead get creative, and use some of this year's cap space and so something like this:

2017 - $25M
2018 - $22M
2019 - $22M
2020 - $19M
2021 - $20M

Now instead of costing $24M and $26M in 2020/2021, his cap hit drops to $19M/$20M. It's just an example of front-loading. If you've got the spare cap room now don't have any glaring holes, it can be a good strategy to free up money down the line.

Another thing is that unused cap space can be rolled over into next year:
Under Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.

So, maybe we roll over $20M in cap space and have it available next year, etc... Like the Browns, for example -- they had over $100M in cap space, thanks in large part to rolling over $50M!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye