PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking down David Harris' deal with the New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
After this deal I now have the Patriots 2017 salary cap number as $13,342,029 which is the highest for this time of year for the Patriots during the Bill Belichick era.

Typo there?

After this deal I now have the Patriots 2017 salary cap number as $13,342,029 which is the highest for this time of year for the Patriots during the Bill Belichick era.

Typo there?

Aren't we supposed to have like 60-70M of cap space again next season?

Typo there?

Thanks for the great breakdown OP! One small ask, what's a typical salary for this/his position in the NFL these days? And more importantly, how does it compare across the league in your opinion? To me, the $'s seems pretty reasonable.

It may be because it's after midnight, but this sentence is confusing to me, @Miguel. Could you please elaborate.
David Harris became the 90th Patriot signed for the 2017 season and the 63rd Patriot signed for the 2017 season.
Thanks.

He covers it in his tweet.

Typo there?
Why do you think it's a typo? Just curious. I don't believe it's a typo at all.

FWIW, my inlaws are Jets fans. My brother in law mentioned the Harris signing and said, "Yeah, watch. He'll lead the league in tackles and win a Super Bowl."

As a courtesy to you, I edited out all the permutations he used of the word 'f**k'. He was quite creative. :)

Typo there?

Why do you think that this is a typo?

That's the amount the team in under the cap, right, 13.2M? Maybe he was taking "salary cap number" as meaning the amount the team is spending toward the cap, so far.

This is a steal, and at a position of need. Harris frees them to use Hightower however they want, LB is going to be seriously contested in camp, and other than the interior OL it was the unit most in need of more talent. Great addition.

Assuming 2017 salary is guaranteed . here a look at LB situation 2017+2018 money wise (approx):

cap hit ......... savings .......... dead cap​

LB Harris .......... 2.8M+3M ..... 1.3M+3M ....... 1.6M+0:6M

LB McClellin .... 3.3M+3.6M ... 2.5M+2.7M ... 0:8M+0.8M

LB Freeny ........ 1.8M+2.2M ... 1.1M+1.8M ..... 0.7M+0:4M

ED Ninkovich ....... 2.4M ............. 1.4M ................ 1M

LB Van Noy .......... 1.1M .............. 1.1M ................... 0

Roberts & Langi don't carry significant cap implications & are signed through 2019.
Bates is on one yr min.
___

Looking at this numbers Harris is closest to a lock besides Hightower. Id be somewhat surprised if both McC and Freeny make it.

Assuming 2017 salary is guaranteed . here a look at LB situation 2017+2018 money wise (approx):

Roberts & Langi don't carry significant cap implications & are signed through 2019.
Bates is on one yr min.
___

Looking at this numbers Harris is closest to a lock besides Hightower. Id be somewhat surprised if both McC and Freeny make it.
Freeny doesn't have just a hill to climb to make the team. It's Everest.

Bates is on one yr min.
___

I still don't think McClellin is safe this summer, let alone next year. We'll see. I wouldn't be totally shocked if neither he nor Freeny made it.

Last edited:
This is a steal, and at a position of need. Harris frees them to use Hightower however they want, LB is going to be seriously contested in camp, and other than the interior OL it was the unit most in need of more talent. Great addition.

If the Patriots don't get wacked too badly by the injury bug and the OL plays at just a satisfactory level, the 2017 season is looking, ahem, to further exacerbate the NFL's "Patriot Problem" :).

I still don't think McClellin is safe this summer, let alone next year. We'll see. I wouldn't be totally shocked if neither he nor Freeny made it.

Agreed. IMHO what this comes down to with players at this level is BB's faith in a player's ability to provide consistent X. While X is unlikely to make any highlight reels or show up much on the stat sheets, whatever modest and very defined level BB thinks X should be, if a player does it consistently (and at a comfortable cap expense) that's a guy that BB really likes to keep around.

It can be head scratching on a few of BB choices but I suspect it usually is about the player having a more reliable production level, a 16 game consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back