2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

captain stone

Hall of Fame Poster
We've never seen Allen play. I have agreed that we need another NT, two if Allen goes.

So, you believe that Belichick doesn't like Butler and Guy? OK. I disagree.

No one is arguing that we don't need to add a couple front seven folks. I just don't think that this weakness keeps Bill up at night.
=================================
The passing game on the other hand is an unqualified disaster. Our offense COULD be even worse if we lose a couple of OL's.
================
FOR ME
Bill will try to keep who he can before free agency formally starts. I don't think that there will be any panic over the defense as long as we keep Butler and Guy. Obviously, Bill expect Allen to start or he will get a $5M-$8M replacement. And I expect us to use a top draft choice for a front seven player. We all agree that there will be help brought in.

Some folks want to replace everyone and start over. I don't think that is what we should do on defense. And I would be shocked if that is Bill's posiiton.
Of course I don't believe that; they're our top two DLmen, but both of them can soon take calls about signing contracts from teams other than the Pats...

Simon, Wise, Fat Thor, Coward, Spence...Dime a dozen, if not a nickel...

Same with Jennings, Bentley, Calhoun & Hall...

We all better pray that Hightower returns ... However, if neither he nor Guy nor Butler are in the building this summer, then we're looking at a front-7 PLUS backups with merely Wino & Uche worthy of keeping around for the re-build ... And the jury is still out regarding those two ...

Last edited:

robertweathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I apologize. I didn't realize that Dugger had been moved to nickel back. I prefer Jones in that role.

Dugger is our #3 safety, who plays a lot in a LB role.

Do you really consider Dugger a nickel back, when DMac, Jackson and Jones are out there (75% of the time)?
Dugger is FS/SS/LB/CB.

Phillips is FS/SS/LB

DMC is FS/CB

JJ is FS/CB and will take over for DMC at some point.

Chung is SS/CB (LB)

The D calls will dictate playing time but I don't see Dugger and Phillips coming off the field much in 2021.

Jones was about 70% and I don't see that changing either.

Plenty of time for anyone.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Of course I don't believe that; they're our top two DLmen who can both soon take calls about signing contracts with teams other than the Pats...

Simon, Wise, Fat Thor, Coward, Spence...Dime a dozen, if not a nickel...

Same with Jennings, Bentley, Calhoun & Hall...

We all better pray that Hightower returns ... However, if neither he nor Guy nor Butler are in the building this summer, then we're looking at a front-7 PLUS backups with merely Wino & Uche worthy of keeping around for the re-build ... And the jury is still out regarding those two ...
I strongly agree that the front 7 is a dumpster fire without Hightower, Butler, Guy and a NT. That being said, is our front seven really terrible with
Guy, a $8M NT signing, Butler, Hightower, Winovich, Uche and a high draftee?

Ochmed Jones

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
The front seven is currently a mess.

we should look at signing a few of our free agents.... Andrews, guy, bethel, folk. Etc.

we should sign at least two free agent receivers and a veteran qb.

the draft should be heavy defense. Barmore 1st and shelvin 3rd would both excel in our defense, but need additional time to develop into full time players.

rice and Cox, both in the 4th would help fill our linebacking vacancies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Dugger is FS/SS/LB/CB.

Phillips is FS/SS/LB

DMC is FS/CB

JJ is FS/CB and will take over for DMC at some point.

Chung is SS/CB (LB)

The D calls will dictate playing time but I don't see Dugger and Phillips coming off the field much in 2021.

Jones was about 70% and I don't see that changing either.

Plenty of time for anyone.
Yup; plenty of time for everyone.

The open questions revolve around the CB position where the only lock is Jones.

Jackson is an RFA. I could see someone paying a first and signing him to solid contract.
Gilmore may or may not be willing to play for $7M or even for a bit more.
JMac is a free agent, and may or may not have much left in the tank.
Williams seems more suite to play safety, if he is a major factor at all.

captain stone

Hall of Fame Poster
I strongly agree that the front 7 is a dumpster fire without Hightower, Butler, Guy and a NT. That being said, is our front seven really terrible with
Guy, a $8M NT signing, Butler, Hightower, Winovich, Uche and a high draftee?
No it isn't, if the high draftee is either an Edge Defender so Hightower can play more of an ILB role; or a Coverage LB so Hightower can play more of an Edge Defender role...I think we need Both another ED And another Coverage LB anyway...really Two EDs, unless Wise wants to return for a vet-minimum, non-guaranteed, one-year type of contract...

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
No it isn't, if the high draftee is either an Edge Defender so Hightower can play more of an ILB role; or a Coverage LB so Hightower can play more of an Edge Defender role...I think we need Both another ED And another Coverage LB anyway...really Two EDs, unless Wise wants to return for a vet-minimum, non-guaranteed, one-year type of contract...
I tend not to worry about the value of low-level contracts as you do. If Wise can do the job as a DE/DT, then he do the job. In any case, he wouldn't get a huge number of reps.