PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the plan for $27,473,351 in cap space (includes Hightower's money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was much more about the structure of the contract than the actual dollar amount.

Say BB determines a fair value for Revis is $5m for playing in 2017; amount chosen purely for illustrative value. Obviously it makes no sense to pay him $5m as that just adds cap space for the Jets. So instead pay him $1m(~vet minimum) for 2017 and push a guaranteed $4m out into a phony 2nd year.

Is there any reason such a contract is not allowed? Or wouldn't work?
I don't know if that is possible. I wouldn't do it though.

Is there any reason you can't sign Revis to a 2 year deal with say $1m the first year and $15m the second year and then guarantee $7m of it in the 2nd year, so its effectively an $8m/yr deal but structured cleverly to avoid paying out most of it against the Jets offset?

personally i feel like we have paid revis enough money to not be on this team last year.

I don't want him getting anything more then a one year deal, with no cap hits for when he leaves.

Is there any reason you can't sign Revis to a 2 year deal with say $1m the first year and $15m the second year and then guarantee $7m of it in the 2nd year, so its effectively an $8m/yr deal but structured cleverly to avoid paying out most of it against the Jets offset?

You could do that but I bet it wouldn't happen. Remember, Revis is coming off of a very bad year where everyone seems to be leaning toward him being over the hill (I kinda disagree, hence I want him back.) Teams wouldn't offer what Revis thinks he can get if he plays well this year and proves last year was about being out of shape and nagging injuries.

An incentive contract, like making the All Pro team or something, might make sense but I think teams prefer to do their own evaluations and not run the risk of paying someone big money the 2nd year if they don't agree with the All Pro/Pro Bowl nomination.

Reports today said Mevis would play for the vet minimum. That's a major ego check right there and I'd pounce ALL over that. Putting him on number 2 receivers? BB would once again put him in position to succeed. Plus we need all the DB help we can get with that schedule coming up.
The idea of Revis getting vet minimum and having the Jets:

1. Pay him 5.5 million to hoist another Pats Lombardi
2. See him go into the HOF as a Patriot

fills me with the most delicious schadenfreude:cool:.

Oh man, thst guys comments made it to where my co workers put half flat balloons at my work station. I was not amused.

Man, with such a good team so far under the salary cap, Kraft is going to make a killing this year. Good for him, he's the best owner in American professional sports, he deserves to make money.

I would like to have Butler back. But if we cannot, a #1 will give us a good pick at CB or DE. of which there are many good ones in this draft, unlike QBs. If we get #11 then trading down we get both; and save money to boot. Rowe will have to carry the load as CB#2, assisted by the bench and the #1 Draftee.

Works in either case.

I would imagine we do a combination of extensions (solder, flowers, ealy, cooks, other younger guys getting fine early) and signing some one year depth deals. Pay a little more because we have it available instead of longer terms
Of course trades could be happening too.

Nate Solder, who I really like, will be 30 in April of 2018... do you want to extend a lineman at that age?

I have difficulty understanding what any team, particularly a really good team, would do with $80 Million..

Looks more and more like MB will stay with this team, and I would certainly spend some money on him..

All of it
If they could roll all of it forward, they could afford to franchise Garapollo next year without it impacting the cap TOO much next year (i.e. a huge percentage tied up in QB position) because they will have essentially taken the cap hit this year....

*** Yes- I realize that the percent of salary cap devoted to QB will be high but it could be a one year anomaly if you assume Brady plays two more years...('17 under Jimmy G's rookie deal and '18 under franchise)

Nate Solder, who I really like, will be 30 in April of 2018... do you want to extend a lineman at that age?

I have difficulty understanding what any team, particularly a really good team, would do with $80 Million..

Looks more and more like MB will stay with this team, and I would certainly spend some money on him..
30 is not old for a LT.
I haven't looked at what players are gone that create the 60 mill next year but they will need to be replaced.
Gilmore Hightower allen take up over 30 mill per year so signing a few top guys can eat up cap quickly

The Pats were fortunate with injuries on the OL last year and unless they feel really good about some of the young kids I'd love to see them add some more depth particularly at tackle.

The idea of Revis getting vet minimum and having the Jets:

1. Pay him 5.5 million to hoist another Pats Lombardi
2. See him go into the HOF as a Patriot

fills me with the most delicious schadenfreude:cool:.

If the Pats sign Revis the contract will be like this IMO.

1 yr 2M base. 2M active roster incentive (spread over 16 games) up to 4M snap % incentive (something like 1M for 60% 2M for 70% 3M for 80% 4M for 90%)

So If they signed him he would be able to earn up to 8M which to him would not be an insult but if he doesn't preform they can cut him and it will only cost a few million.

I would be fine with such a contract.

Revis was a walking disater last season. Personally I do not want to give another chance to get a championship ring somebody who suggested the Pats were cheaters. He needs us more than we need him. Let him go for instance to Steelers and cover our WRs - maybe Cooks :)

If the Pats sign Revis the contract will be like this IMO.

1 yr 2M base. 2M active roster incentive (spread over 16 games) up to 4M snap % incentive (something like 1M for 60% 2M for 70% 3M for 80% 4M for 90%)

So If they signed him he would be able to earn up to 8M which to him would not be an insult but if he doesn't preform they can cut him and it will only cost a few million.

I would be fine with such a contract.
If they sign him it will be the vet minimum. There is no reason to pay a penny more unless you pay over 6. Revis he's no more and why would you choose to pay it instead of the jets paying it?
And he isn't worth any more than 6 mill.

Why would Revis sign a deal that says he plays for free but if he hits incentives he plays for 2mill.

He earns 6 mill from his couch. He isn't playing this year and may just retire.

Revis was a walking disater last season. Personally I do not want to give another chance to get a championship ring somebody who suggested the Pats were cheaters. He needs us more than we need him. Let him go for instance to Steelers and cover our WRs - maybe Cooks :)

If you put Revis in that Logan Ryan role in my opinion that's a huge upgrade

They should use the cap space to sign Butler long term :rolleyes:

I'm good on Revis. I mean, would I take him at the vet minimum? Of course. At that price, you could justify a lot of different roles for a guy like Revis. I just don't want to pay him much more than that, certainly not some of the contracts proposed on this thread. That's not to say I don't think the estimates would be accurate, just that I don't want him for those proposed deals.

30 is not old for a LT.
I haven't looked at what players are gone that create the 60 mill next year but they will need to be replaced.
Gilmore Hightower allen take up over 30 mill per year so signing a few top guys can eat up cap quickly

Gilmore, Hightower, Allen are already under contract for 26.7 million... what do we do with 80 million in salary cap money in 2018??

30 million this year and 50 million next year, is an interesting scenario..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back