PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What positions would you like to see addressed this Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borrowing from a similar discussion in the Draft forum I started a sheet listing Patriots roster based on who is signed for next year.

• For me Hightower is the key to the offseason.
  • Next I would look at DE (only Grissom and Flowers are currently signed)
  • DT - Beyond Brown DT is pretty weak
  • TE - Gronk is big question mark
  • CB - Butler and the JAGS
  • RB - need a bigger back
  • WR, O Line, Safety - if an upgrade is available then take a look otherwise starters are returning
  • QB - all set

Ideally this is what I want to see:

Another center, Andrews gets pushed around a lot, he is decent but we need someone bigger and stronger.

Tight end, Gronk is injury prone these days, we need another tight end next year next to Bennett if one of the two goes down, a blocking tight end would be ideal.

Next a strong safety, Chung is somewhat meh, I like the guy but he hasn't been doing much at all this year and we need a game changer safety that can get in there and deliver big hits and of course be able to cover as well.

We definitely need another corner, I am not sure how the Jones project gonna work out next year but we need another corner to start.

We also need another free safety. Dmc is getting up there in age and we need someone with speed and good football IQ.

Inside linebacker is a point of concern, I have 0 faith in Roberts to backup Hightower, also Hightower has been injury ridden all year, we need another run stuffing linebacker.
I think Van Noy can be decent at pas coverage, maybe not as athletic as Collins, but still serviceable.

Lastly, we need another slot receiver, Amendola is good when healthy but he hasn't been much of a game changer this year when playing, we are spending too much money on a guy that gets barely any receptions, if he wants to stay on this team next year then we need him to take a pay cut.

Borrowing from a similar discussion in the Draft forum I started a sheet listing Patriots roster based on who is signed for next year.

• WR, O Line, Safety - if an upgrade is available then take a look otherwise starters are returning
  • QB - all set

Bigger backs are not the trend these days, we need someone like Le'Veon Bell, decent sized but that has good speed and good vision and be able to make defenders miss.

If we had someone like Zeke or Bell this team would be nearly impossible to stop on offense along our other weapons.

With that said I agree with the rest of the points.

Pointless to discuss before FA winds down and we know where we stand..

what-positions-would-you-like-to-see-adressed-this-offseason

uh..let's see....missionary...reverse cowgirl..circle perk..and doggie to start off with...uh..wait...what? oops..:eek:

Quater Back. :) (I miss the old bricks emoticon.) :)

OK, QB seriously, but like in the seventh round or something. Earlier would mean competition for Brisset and I don't think he sucks yet. More of a camp arm to be developed than "heir." Heck, make him a WR.:)

Whatever positions they draft early, I'm thinking DB a big part is returning punts. Yeah it can be argued that DT or DE is more needed, but I've never seen a DT or DE returning punts.

Last edited:

• QB - all set

Branch is weak?
Look Rowe's and Ryan's stats. Are they really JAGS?

In no particular order, and via either free agency or draft:

LT: Solder being healthy has been a HUGE difference between this season and last season. I'd rather not
count on that happening 2 years in a row.

Big RB: As was the case with Solder, so is the case with Blunt.

Move TE: Especially if Bennett isn't re-signed.

WR: Even if Floyd is re-signed, he is certain to miss multiple games in 2017.

DE: Maybe even if Sheard is re-signed, which I very much hope happens. Ninko & Long are at the end
of the line, and are merely backup-caliber now. And GeeNo Grossem is nobody's answer to anybody's question.

DT: Branch is a UFA; and adding a 3-Tech would be nice too, such as Nick Fairley, for whom I've been pimping for the last 2 years.

Coverage LB: A full off-season for Van Noy and Mingo (2017 option?) will obviously help, but more
athleticism at the position is still needed.

CB: Even if Ryan is re-signed, an upgrade to Cy Jones, Jonny Jones & Justin Coleman are needed.

Matches my thoughts on the off season. I too would love to see Fairley on the team.

I like Luke Wilson from the seahawks as a move TE
Kendal Wright as a slot guy

Matches my thoughts on the off season. I too would love to see Fairley on the team.

I like Luke Wilson from the seahawks as a move TE
Kendal Wright as a slot guy
Idk if Kendall Wright will be able to pick up our offense. He played at Baylor & for the Titans. Both of those offenses are pretty simplistic. It'll most likely be similar to the Ocho Cinco saga smh.

Last edited:
Alan Branch - Re-sign
Martellus Bennett - Re-sign
Chris Long - Price is right Re-sign
Sebastian Vollmer - Walk:(
LeGarrette Blount - Re-sign
Jabaal Sheard - Price is right Re-sign
Michael Floyd - Price is right Re-sign
Donta Hightower - Re-sign
Greg Scruggs - Walk
Brandon Bolden - Walk
Duron Harmon - Expensive:(
Logan Ryan - Re-sign
James Develin - Re-sign
Barkevious Mingo - Price is right Re-sign
Michael Williams - Walk
Malcolm Butler - Re-sign
Cameron Fleming - Tender
Matt Lengel - Tender
Justin Coleman - Tender
Brandon King - Tender

After this $65,043,427

Alan Branch - Re-sign - 3m
Martellus Bennett - Re-sign - 8,5m (Greg Olsen)
Chris Long - Price is right Re-sign - 2,5m
LeGarrette Blount - Re-sign - 1,5m
Jabaal Sheard - Price is right Re-sign - 6,5m ( Robert Ayers)
Michael Floyd - Price is right Re-sign - 4,5m
Donta Hightower - Re-sign - 12,5 m
Logan Ryan - Re-sign - 5m
James Develin - Re-sign - 1m
Barkevious Mingo - Price is right Re-sign - 2m
Malcolm Butler - Re-sign - 13m (Janoris Jenkins)

After this $ 5,043,427

Who do we lose ? (nobody really)

Sebastian Vollmer - Walk:(
Greg Scruggs - Walk
Brandon Bolden - Walk
Duron Harmon - Expensive:(
Michael Williams - Walk

So our needs: ( We trade Jimmy and our 2017 1st round pick (#32) for Brown's #12 + #52 +#65 and next year's 2nd and 4th) - According to reports Patriots are looking for a 1st and 4th this year = 1400 points +- or we keep our 1st and trade Jimmy for #12 + #65

1 - Derek Barnett, DE Tenessee(#12)
2.a - Adoree Jackson, CB Southern California(#52)
+
2.b - DT - Davon Godchaux, LSU
3.a - Ryan Aderson, LB Alabama (#65)
3.b T - Taylor Moton, Western Michgan (#96)
3.c - Eddie Jackson, S Alabama
+
4- Jake Butt, TE Michigan +

or

1 - Derek Barnett, DE Tenessee (#12)
1.b - Zack Cunninghan - LB Vanderbilt (#32)
2.b - DT - Davon Godchaux, LSU (#64)
3.a - Jourdan Lewis, CB Michigan (#65)
3.b T - Taylor Moton, Western Michgan (#96)
3.c - Eddie Jackson, S Alabama
+
4- Jake Butt, TE Michigan +

All that money without working Dola's deal, and cuting players like Waddle, Freeny ... So maybe there is money for Harmon if the price is right

"LeGarrette Blount - Re-sign - 1,5m"

After the season he's had? Not a chance.
Beyond his 1,199 yds rushing and 18 TDs....Blount possesses characteristics BB desires most....ball security and durability.

For NE's offense, Blounts TD prowess has replaced Gronk's end zone reliability. Will BB want to risk putting the ball in the hands of an unknown quantity 20 times again? I say ...not a chance.
No doubt Blount loves NE....but I have to believe creating financial security at this stage in his career trumps loyalty. My guess 2 years /$9 mill with some kind of third year option.
A horse who holds onto the ball....many teams will value his skill set. LB has been indespensable for this team

Last edited:
Think we're in a good position to go BPA even if that's a copout for the thread.

Beyond his 1,199 yds rushing and 18 TDs....Blount possesses characteristics BB desires most....ball security and durability.
Games missed in past 4 years.........ZERO
Fumbles in 2016....2
Fumbles in 2015 as a Patriot......ZERO ( 1 fumble as a Steeler)

For NE's offense, Blounts TD prowess has replaced Gronk's end zone reliability. Will BB want to risk putting the ball in the hands of an unknown quantity 20 times again? I say ...not a chance.
No doubt Blount loves NE....but I have to believe creating financial security at this stage in his career trumps loyalty. My guess 2 years /$9 mill with some kind of third year option.
A horse who holds onto the ball....many teams will value his skill set. LB has been indespensable for this team
Blount went on IR last year.

A 1 year 1.5m base w/ incentives laden deal does sound about right for a 30 year old RB.

If he wants $4.5m per there is zero chance he is here in 2017.

There are a lot of what ifs....

QB- If Jimmy is delt they would draft/sign a QB
RB- If Blount goes they need to sign a RB. I think they need to draft a 3 down guy anyway thats over 230 lb
TE- If Bennett walks they need one. If Bennett/Gronk stay they need one to develop in 2018 when Gronk's contract might be an issue if hes hurt again.
OL- Will they resign Solder?
WR- DA and JE will be in their early 30s. Will they keep Floyd? The need to find a WR2 somewhere.

DE-Nink/Long/Sheard are all quesstionable long term. This might be a priority.
DT- Branch is in his early 3os. I think if a talent fell to them they'd pick him up
OLB-Praying High resigns. If not this is #1 priority.
ILB-Why not? Roberts and Van Noy are nice but another Mayo would be better
SS/FS- If Harmon walks they need someone
CB- If Ryan walks they need someone. With MB, Rowe, Jones boys it might not be a high priority but its up there.

Blount went on IR last year.

A 1 year 1.5m base w/ incentives laden deal does sound about right for a 30 year old RB.

If he wants $4.5m per there is zero chance he is here in 2017.
Sorry for posting bad stat....my eyes are going....I will fix

the position of the commissioner.
thank+you+sir+may+i+have+another+1.jpg

Umm Blount missed games and the playoffs last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST