PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projection of 2018 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't surprise me if half the linebacking corps is turned over. They don't need superstars, but they do need guys who can tackle and won't get wildly out of position because they keep biting on simple play fakes.

The selection process for linebackers in the 2018 training camp might be a bit more Darwinian than usual...

It wouldn't surprise me if half the linebacking corps is turned over. They don't need superstars, but they do need guys who can tackle and won't get wildly out of position because they keep biting on simple play fakes.

The selection process for linebackers in the 2018 training camp might be a bit more Darwinian than usual...

The Pats current LBs are ...

UNDER CONTRACT:
Van Noy - 1.5 years with the Pats
Roberts - 2 years with the Pats (2 years in the NFL)
Harris - OLD, expensive
Lee (sorta) - 1/2 year with the Pats
..... ZERO NFL defensive snaps before this season
Hightower (IR)
McClellin (IR)
Rivers (IR) - rookie
Langi (NFI) - rookie

Grissom - special teamer
Grigsby - special teamer
King - special teamer (listed as LB, not DB)

UFA:
M. Flowers - 1 year with the Pats (no Camp)
..... 72 total NFL defensive snaps before this season
Reilly - special teamer
Harrison - OLD

Seems to me that they need mostly another healthy body or two, especially considering that the Pats have only two LBs on the field most of the time.

It also seems like the last thing they need to do is to replace healthy bodies who have experience in the Pats system with a bunch of guys who have none.

I forgot about Langi, he and Rivers will add youth and athleticism. I’d still get rid of Harris, McClellin, and Harrison and go after young pro depth in free agency,

... but the knee injury does worry me quite a bit. I don't think the team ever did disclose exactly what it was, just that it was a leg injury.

The last I saw reported (several sources), it was an ankle/foot injury. Jones never appeared on an official injury report because he was IR'd before the Pats next official practice. No official injury disclosure on the IR move.

I forgot about Langi, he and Rivers will add youth and athleticism.

We hope.

I’d still get rid of Harris, McClellin, and Harrison and go after young pro depth in free agency,

Harris - definitely. Only 181 snaps while Roberts played 558, and they save ~$1.65M net.

McClellin - up in the air until he's medically cleared. May cost the Pats a $1M injury benefit if he's cut before that.

Harrison - moot, since he's UFA.

We hope.

Harris - definitely. Only 181 snaps while Roberts played 558, and they save ~$1.65M net.

McClellin - up in the air until he's medically cleared. May cost the Pats a $1M injury benefit if he's cut before that.

Harrison - moot, since he's UFA.

I really haven’t been looking at it so much in terms of cost cutting but more in terms of getting younger, faster, and more athletic on defense.

I really haven’t been looking at it so much in terms of cost cutting but more in terms of getting younger, faster, and more athletic on defense.

In terms of "younger" ...

Valentine, 23 - until Feb. 24th
A. Butler, 23 - until Apr. 12th
Roberts, 23 - until April 22nd
... Rivers, 23 - until May 9th - IR
Wise, 23 - until July 26th
Lee, 23 - until August 6th

(NFI'd DEs Keionta Davis and Caleb Kidder are both just about to turn 24)

Brown, 24 - as of Feb. 2nd (just turned)
T. Flowers, 24 - until August 16th

M. Flowers, 25 - until Feb. 16th - UFA
... Langi, 25 - until Sept. 24th - NFI

Older, but not "ancient" ...

Van Noy, 26 - until March 26th
... Hightower, 27 - until March 12th - IR
Guy, 28 - until March 17th
... McClellin, 28 - until August 1st - IR

Aside from Branch (age 33, 274 snaps), and the "ancient ones" like Harris, RJF and Harrison (who covered 296 snaps between the three), it was already a very young defense that was on the field most of the time in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3