PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players we could see traded (speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We heard the same about Mankins and look what happened there.
Agree,but in 2014 when Mankins was traded nobody was mentioning about the end of Brady's career now it is happening. My bottom line is nowadays every single injury for Brady could be his nail to the coffin in NFL ( of course 5 years ago it could have happened as well ) but the difference is now Tom has no time to full recovery . That is why I hope Thuney will stay and help our QB to be untouchable.
Another story is what BB will do.

Agree,but in 2014 when Mankins was traded nobody was mentioning about the end of Brady's career now it is happening. My bottom line is nowadays every single injury for Brady could be his nail to the coffin in NFL ( of course 5 years ago it could have happened as well ) but the difference is now Tom has no time to full recovery . That is why I hope Thuney will stay and help our QB to be untouchable.
Another story is what BB will do.

I assume Froholdt was drafted partly as a contingency against Thuney leaving this offseason. So I agree that I'd be surprised if they accelerated that timeline by trading Thuney. But I suppose if they got a godfather offer they might have to do it. I agree, though, I expect Thuney to be here this year, with next year and beyond being up in the air. I could definitely see Belichick having reservations about paying both guards big money, when he knows that Scar can coach up guys on far smaller contracts into solid performance.

I think Ebner is a guy who fits BB’s ideal of “players I want to coach”, this unlikely to go anywhere unless it results in a compelling upgrade, which I think is not likely.
I hope so. He's one of favorite players.

...but he's pushing 30 and saves $2m vs the cap if cut/traded

I think that if Thuney were re-signed to a long-term contract, it was still well worth a 4th rounder to secure a solid backup at OG, and perhaps one who could be an emergency center.

I assume Froholdt was drafted partly as a contingency against Thuney leaving this offseason. So I agree that I'd be surprised if they accelerated that timeline by trading Thuney. But I suppose if they got a godfather offer they might have to do it. I agree, though, I expect Thuney to be here this year, with next year and beyond being up in the air. I could definitely see Belichick having reservations about paying both guards big money, when he knows that Scar can coach up guys on far smaller contracts into solid performance.

The list is pretty much spot on as to who are our most likely trade possibilities, DB. Good job. I'll add my comments below.

1. I'd love to move Roberts. He's improved every year, but with Bentley back and roster spots at an extreme premium, I'd try to move him. However his value is what it is. A possible 7th would be the best value for him. If I were a GM, I'd probably wait though since I think it's likely he'll be cut. The only reason I'd trade for him was if I were afraid he'd not get through waivers.

2 I'm not moving Jones. I'm going for a championship, not building for the future. He's my 3rd or 4th best CB we have. He's a man who can run with THill and move back to S in a pinch. He's our best slot corner and although Crossen and Dawson are good development talents with potential, I'd rather him for THIS season. Another point is I'd doubt you could get more than a 3rd for him in the first place and when he leaves in FA, we will likely get that 3rd back. He adds too much value to a competitive team to trade to get a moderate cap gain.

3. Duron Harmon - Now THAT's the guy I'd like to move. Before Chung's injury in the Superbowl, Harmon spent most of the playoffs sitting on the bench. With the emergence of BOTH Brooks and Obi, Harmon and his cap number are ripe to move. I'd think you could get a 5th for him and I'd take it in a heart beat.

4. Barrios is more likely to get cut than make this team, especially now the Gordon is back. I feel strongly that Meyers has beaten him out to be the back up slot, and he isn't special enough to keep just as a PR. You could try and trade for him, but I don't think there would be a taker.

5. Dorsett, on the other hand WOULD have a market, perhaps, but he also has a unique (to this team anyways) skill set that would keep him off the market if I were Bill. He may have a limited route tree, but his is the only speed guy on this roster. He is also dependable, available, and has made big plays in big moments. With the youth, injuries, AND the never to be answer question of Gtordon's reliability, the WR room needs a guy like Dorsett.

6. Thuney is like Jones in my mind. Too important to trade because we are a contender, not rebuilding. Even more importantly , I think he's also going to end up being our first choice to back up an OT position if someone is injured. Just too valuable to trade. I'd keep him around while the Dane gets better and let him take over NEXT year. You don't want essentially 2 rookies manning your left side in a contending year. Besides, I doubt you could get more than a 2nd. I'd take the year of quality play ans then take a 3rd later.

7. With roster spots so precious, I'd LOVE to replace King with someone who adds more to the regular D than he does. I'd take anything, but here's hoping he's not on the team because that would mean guys who could add some value to the regular D, like Calhoun and Rivers might have a better chance to make it.

8. Same goes for Ebner. The league is doing everything in its power to de-emphasize the kicking game. Keeping ST's only guys like King, Ebner, and Slater are simply a luxury you can't afford anymore. Slater is safe because he adds a lot of value to the locker room, and punts occur much more than KO's and great gunners still retain their value. But I think Ebner and King are very vulnerable to be cut. And I just don't see a market for their skills.

Interesting take Ken

While I understand why people talk about getting rid of upcoming UFA’s, they are usually talking about good players, and when you are looking at a possible Lombardi you don’t get rid of core players. I don’t think guys like Thuney and Jones are going anywhere, but I do think there’s a chance they would move Dorsett, which I wouldn’t have thought just a few weeks ago. The return of Gordon, along with Harry and the emergence of Meyers changes the depth at WR significantly. If someone wanted to give up a 5th for him I could see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes