PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Washington @ NE Rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. With McCourty, Chung and Harmon seeing so many snaps, we are one injury away from S4 assuming significant responsibilities. It would be great if we were grooming a young S to slide in there, but it is looking increasingly like that guy is not on the roster (at least not as a safety). Do you think that Richards assumed that role, or will BB look elsewhere?

I'm not yet ready to count Eddie Pleasant out.

“I didn’t see the guy. It was a bad mistake on my part,” Lewis said after the game. “I owe Geneo an apology on that. I’ll finish the play next time. I have to make sure he’s in. D-lineman don’t get a lot of times to score. It’s my fault. It’s definitely a lesson learned.”

Lewis knows Patriots coach Bill Belichick is sure to bring it up when they review the film. Grissom had made it 53 yards and should have gotten one more yard if Lewis had blocked Cobbs, instead of celebrating prematurely.

“I’ll be hearing about it tomorrow, and probably for a while,” said Lewis. “I just have to make sure I improve next week. Always finish the play.”

You have an actual link to this quote??

A few come along every couple years (Roquan Smith might be that guy this year, if the Bears can get him into camp), but the're generally high in the draft, or with major red flags, and usually they don't have the ability to stop the run or be every down players. We all want that coverage guy, but the tradeoffs usually aren't worth it in terms of the way the rest of the defense is compromised.

Here's Foster with a great pass breakup, but again, major red flags and he still went round 1.

Well sure linebackers can make a play in coverage but there are none that can consistently cover a RB one on one. As you say some pseudoLBs who really aren’t lbs can do better but the size and skill sets of lbs vs rbs are automatic mismatches in pass coverage. It becomes guess and/or chase and hope. Sometimes you can make a play like that but that isn’t the same as being able to cover a rb consistently.

I don’t see that as a luxury. I see it as a disaster.
I mean Michel is supposed to be ready by the opener so I think you are turning a hangnail into a decapitation but I’d rather have Michel at practice working and getting ready to play even if he misses the first half is the season. Webb wouldn’t even see the field any way. I’d rather have my first rounder at practice and preparing to play than sitting at home so Webb can hold a game say inactive roster spot instead of the practice squad spot that is probably his best case achievement.
To me, the disaster would be bringing Michel back before he is 100 percent and ready to perform all aspects of the position. We can only hope it's the knee equivalent of a hangnail given his injury history.

An observation:

Week 1 PS vs. Washington:

2Q, 13:48, 2&8, Pats ball on their 35. 4 wide with Develin split on left side, Dorsett in the left slot, Edelman in the right slot and then Hogan outside. White to the right of Hoyer in the shot gun. Brown, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, and Waddle. Skins showing nickel with 4 down linemen all rushing and two lb's in the middle in a zone look. Can't see single hi safety on TV. Ball is snapped and the LDE rushes Brown from wide (looks like Brown should have gotten a flag for holding the guy) and the interior LDT rushes Thuney, but Thuney passes off the guy wide to Brown.... and Andrews screws up his block...Hoyer throws the ball to White's feet (was gonna be a bubble screen, but seemed to be th3 2nd/3rd read)....bad miscommunication and why Brady didn't play, IMO. Looked like Hogan was open enough with inside leverage vs. his CB and the high safety as Edelman ran a post route to the middle-ish.

Another observation:

Seeing Ninkovich on the sidelines hurts....

We coulda used him in SB XLII...one good rush and Foles has a bruised rib....coulda made all the difference.....grrrr.....

More than fair, though I wasn't impressed Thursday, and his ceiling seems well below any of the big 3. I am looking for a younger player with a higher up side (what Richards was hoped to be).

Very good special teamer, and more experience/accomplishment on defense than Richards.

He could be an upgrade over Richards (remains to be seen), and a better stopgap until a younger prospect can be acquired.

Very good special teamer, and more experience/accomplishment on defense than Richards.

He could be an upgrade over Richards (remains to be seen), and a better stopgap until a younger prospect can be acquired.
My retriever would be an upgrade over Richards. I am looking for someone who can fill the shoes of McCourty, Harmon or Chung. Chung in particular. Nobody on the roster can do what he does. Best bet would be to move Rowe back to S, although I like him at CB better than most. At least there is young talent at CB with Wiltz, Lewis, Dawson, Jackson, and Crossen. At safety it's duct tape.

Last edited:
My retriever would be an upgrade over Richards. I am looking for someone who can fill the shoes of McCourty, Harmon or Chung. Chung in particular. Nobody on the roster can do what he does. Best bet would be to move Rowe back to S, although I like him at CB better than most. At least there is young talent at CB with Wiltz, Lewis, Jackson, and Crossen. At safety it's duct tape.
Seems there could be a debate over whether the 3 safety look is a “thing” related to Bill’s approach to the nature of a pass heavy league vs. the fact the Pats have 3 starting caliber safeties. I lean more so toward the latter since Bill has typically been someone who dictates his approach according to personnel.

If it was a long game approach, I would think Bill wouldn’t have just brought on a guy like Pleasant as a 4th safety option who is a career backup/special teamer. Also there wouldn’t be someone like Jordan F’ing Richards in the mix. What I’m really saying is..there would seemingly be another piece in place who was more of a sure thing.

Either way, It really does seem to come down to the backup Chung role as you’ve mentioned. They’ve been very fortunate to have him play in 63 of 64 regular season games in the past 4 years.

Off-topic note: LOVE having football back

If the Pats are planning to spend more time in their version of the Big Nickel, he HAS to be upgraded.

If I never see the Big Nickel again, it will be too soon.

My retriever would be an upgrade over Richards. I am looking for someone who can fill the shoes of McCourty, Harmon or Chung. Chung in particular. Nobody on the roster can do what he does. Best bet would be to move Rowe back to S, although I like him at CB better than most. At least there is young talent at CB with Wiltz, Lewis, Jackson, and Crossen. At safety it's duct tape.

I hear ya.

Actually, I think Richards was drafted to be Chung's understudy and eventual successor. Major understatement to say that hasn't worked out.

Chung turns 31 this coming Monday. The McC twins turn 31 a week from today (Saturday). With that in mind, even during last season, I'd become convinced that BB would be looking for safeties in the 2018 draft.

And then, the draft seemed to offer an unusually deep class of good-sized, athletic guys who'd played multiple DB roles in relatively sophisticated coverage schemes. So, I convinced myself that BB would be selecting at least one of them in an early round, to become an understudy/successor candidate for either Chung or DMac. Y'know - get a trainee in the pipeline who'd have a better chance at winning the job than I thought Travis or Jones would have. (So, Jones is gone now, and Travis may actually be worse than Richards.)

However, even though my binkies went way later in the draft than I thought they would, BB still didn't bite. Headscratcher.

THEN, I thought that maybe BB preferred a guy with NFL experience to an untested college prospect, since the latter haven't worked out very well, for the most part. And when Reid, Vaccaro and Boston seemed to be shut out in free agency, and the UFA safeties who got signed weren't getting fabulous money, I began to think that BB might snag one of those guys on an unexpectedly reasonable contract and work toward using a four-man rotation for the three safety spots, with a more even snap-count distribution, to take some of the workload off Chung and DMac (keep them both fresher for the post-season. Those three vets aren't youngsters, but mid-20s is still younger than 31.

ICYMI, other posters think that a 4-man rotation for three safety spots is a ridiculously radical idea, and that the #4 safety only needs to be a special-teamer, reserve-quality player because he won't see many snaps on defense unless there's an injury. Because BB would never think outside the box like that, I suppose.

Anyway, moot point. The UFA signing didn't happen, and seems unlikely to happen at this point.

So, as you so appropriately put it, "DUCT TAPE".

I, too, had thought at one time that Rowe might be a conversion candidate. He has size and put up very good pre-draft testing numbers. However, his play has been inconsistent, perhaps due mostly to the fact that he's been healthy enough to practice for an average of only 8 games in each of the past two seasons. I don't trust him to be available. He's also turning 26 at the beginning of October, and is only signed through this season.

I suppose there's an outside chance that Lewis could be a conversion candidate/trainee. He's just 24 and an ERFA at the end of this season. He's also the same size/weight as DMac, and very athletic, but I'm not sure he has the mental discipline for a safety role in the Pats coverage schemes. Failing in that, I think we fans are stuck with Richards or Pleasant (special-teamer, injury-emergency reserve only) as our "duct tape" at #4 safety until the 2019 draft, unless BB does something radical before the end of Camp.

Another observation:

Seeing Ninkovich on the sidelines hurts....

We coulda used him in SB XLII...one good rush and Foles has a bruised rib....coulda made all the difference.....grrrr.....

Love Nink but the last time we saw him on the field he was getting abused by the Falcons RBs.

Seems there could be a debate over whether the 3 safety look is a “thing” related to Bill’s approach to the nature of a pass heavy league vs. the fact the Pats have 3 starting caliber safeties. I lean more so toward the latter since Bill has typically been someone who dictates his approach according to personnel.

If it was a long game approach, I would think Bill wouldn’t have just brought on a guy like Pleasant as a 4th safety option who is a career backup/special teamer. Also there wouldn’t be someone like Jordan F’ing Richards in the mix. What I’m really saying is..there would seemingly be another piece in place who was more of a sure thing.

Either way, It really does seem to come down to the backup Chung role as you’ve mentioned. They’ve been very fortunate to have him play in 63 of 64 regular season games in the past 4 years.

Off-topic note: LOVE having football back

When Saban was on BB's coaching staff in Cleveland, their defense was struggling to handle play-action, especially from the Steelers. The two of them developed what's now generally referred to as zone/pattern-matching coverages. It's basically a pre-snap one look that morphs into man coverage as the DBs follow the combined route pattern. At some point, that coverage scheme also began to evolve around a 3-safety nickel package, in order to have another guy in run-D who could also cover.

I don't think BB's frequent, situational use of that "Big Nickel" is going to cease anytime soon. There are just too many teams with RBs who are also legit threats in the passing attack, and their are likely to be even more teams incorporating RPO elements in their offenses this year, especially after seeing what KC and Philly did to the Pats defense at opposite ends of last season.

However, if the 2018 Front-Six can consistently contain the opponent's ground game in all situations (thus thwarting the effectiveness of any type of play-action passing), it seems likely to me that we'll see the 4-safety dime package that includes Richards a s**tload less than we did in 2017.

However, if the 2018 Front-Six can consistently contain the opponent's ground game in all situations (thus thwarting the effectiveness of any type of play-action passing), it seems likely to me that we'll see the 4-safety dime package that includes Richards a s**tload less than we did in 2017.

What I saw from Shelton was promising in this regard. I liked the Shelton-Guy combo on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back