PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Washington @ NE Rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I doubt it. I was almost celebrating his injury last night something I refuse to do in any circumstance but it's the only way he doesn't make this roster. Is he in year 3 or 4? He's gonna play out his contract here, BB likes to do that, keep a player who has no business being in a NFL roster just to say I run this show, I decide who play and who doesn't, I'm the Boss.

I think BB appreciates his brain and what he brings to ST. He also may have some damning pictures of BB that he's threatening to use because, otherwise, he's a complete bum on defense. And I think that's putting it lightly. So if he's missing tackles on ST, I'm actually happy for it. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal if the Patriots weren't playing so much of their version of the Big Nickel but they are, and when they do, his position is important. He can't contain runs up the A and B gaps, he can't pursue East to West, he can't set the edge, he can't cover TE's, he can't cover RB's, and he can't cover WR's.

Bill obviously didn’t extend him for no reason.
Definitely has flaws to his game, but also has things he does pretty well.

If he can improve his coverage flaws, he will become a very good player here.

I don't disagree with this.

Watching the replay on NFLN now....

Gilmore looks like he's still on his summer vacation....he needs to start the season STRONG.

Looked like he was playing off man when he got burned but, again, I've only seen the highlights.

The Gucie run where he gets dinged....the fullback held on #51 (Bentley I think). #51 is showing up a lot in the 1st quarter...

Develin played a total of four snaps on offense and made an impact on every one. He played 7 ST snaps and, IIRC, ended with at least a couple ST tackles.

Develin, along with Chung, Harmon, HT and a couple other veterans, are among several players who seemed ready to go for the regular season now.
I don't seem to remember much from HT and Harmon. Hard to give anybody any credit. At least Rivers, Wise and Shelton seemed to be trying. Best description I've seen so far was "lackadaisical"

I don't seem to remember much from HT and Harmon. Hard to give anybody any credit. At least Rivers, Wise and Shelton seemed to be trying. Best description I've seen so far was "lackadaisical"

Harmon, Rowe, and Chung were each in for 14 snaps. I thought Rowe was surprisingly effective. Harmon and Chung weren't really noticeable, I guess, because they simply did their jobs well and made it look routine.

As mentioned, Ryan Lewis is my newfound binky. Not only does he make the 53, but I would not be surprised to see him end up being CB3 or even CB2. He did spent time at CB2 opposite Gilmore during OTA's.

What I really like about him is when he jams at the line, he really jams without lunging. Great technique, good bail tech, good field vision, and on that final Washington score, he was on top of their SS stack and communicated well, picked up and rode his man OOB (Travis gave up the TD). As you know, dealing with stacks and trips was a problem earlier last season, and we can expect to see more of that this season. And of course he doesn't shy away from physical contact- separated Quinn from his lunch.

More importantly- didn't allow any completions to his side of the field, IIRC.

Disappointed in all the corner back and defensive back play last night except for maybe Chung.

Well, Travis and Richards were clearly awful. Lewis and Crossen both made very good plays + one stupid one each. I thought Wiltz and Jackson both seemed pretty steady and didn't stand out maybe because they weren't targeted much - which is a good thing.

A couple catches. Not a lot of separation, which seems to be his M.O., but great ball skills.

EDIT: Another angle:

Looks to like he had a good couple yards of separation and Hoyer was late getting the throw to him, allowing to DB time to recover - which is what made it a contested catch.

As mentioned, Ryan Lewis is my newfound binky. Not only does he make the 53, but I would not be surprised to see him end up being CB3 or even CB2. He did spent time at CB2 opposite Gilmore during OTA's.

What I really like about him is when he jams at the line, he really jams without lunging. Great technique, good bail tech, good field vision, and on that final Washington score, he was on top of their SS stack and communicated well, picked up and rode his man OOB (Travis gave up the TD). As you know, dealing with stacks and trips was a problem earlier last season, and we can expect to see more of that this season. And of course he doesn't shy away from physical contact- separated Quinn from his lunch.

More importantly- didn't allow any completions to his side of the field, IIRC.

But will he still be on the roster after BBs film review gets to Grissom's almost TD today ? :D :D

I know, but those other guys also bring a lot to the table. This team is so deep at RB. Webb is going to have to get cut or put on the PS.

If Bolden offers more than other ST candidates, his nominal position won't matter.

Ryan Lewis is going to get his rear end chewed out for celebrating too early on the Grissom fumble recovery. Had he been paying attention, he could have cut off the WR that ended up taking Grissom down at the 1..

But will he still be on the roster after BBs film review gets to Grissom's almost TD today ? :D :D

I think he'll survive the scathing commentary and constant replaying of that clip. ;)

Ryan Lewis is going to get his rear end chewed out for celebrating too early on the Grissom fumble recovery. Had he been paying attention, he could have cut off the WR that ended up taking Grissom down at the 1..

“I didn’t see the guy. It was a bad mistake on my part,” Lewis said after the game. “I owe Geneo an apology on that. I’ll finish the play next time. I have to make sure he’s in. D-lineman don’t get a lot of times to score. It’s my fault. It’s definitely a lesson learned.”

Lewis knows Patriots coach Bill Belichick is sure to bring it up when they review the film. Grissom had made it 53 yards and should have gotten one more yard if Lewis had blocked Cobbs, instead of celebrating prematurely.

“I’ll be hearing about it tomorrow, and probably for a while,” said Lewis. “I just have to make sure I improve next week. Always finish the play.”

I think he'll survive the scathing commentary and constant replaying of that clip. ;)

On a more serious note. He looked encouraging and I hope he can build on top of that. The more competition the better.

Yeah Wilson never did anything here.

Wilson became the Lions' starting strong safety and leading tackler his first year with them. Different system and scheme. Good player; not a good fit for the Pats as it tuned out.

“I didn’t see the guy. It was a bad mistake on my part,” Lewis said after the game. “I owe Geneo an apology on that. I’ll finish the play next time. I have to make sure he’s in. D-lineman don’t get a lot of times to score. It’s my fault. It’s definitely a lesson learned.”

Lewis knows Patriots coach Bill Belichick is sure to bring it up when they review the film. Grissom had made it 53 yards and should have gotten one more yard if Lewis had blocked Cobbs, instead of celebrating prematurely.

“I’ll be hearing about it tomorrow, and probably for a while,” said Lewis. “I just have to make sure I improve next week. Always finish the play.”

Yeah I dont think BB calling him out on it will make him feel much worse than he already felt after the game. This is one of those coaching points that will definitely stay with him through his career. Exactly what camp and the preseason is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back