PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Washington @ NE Rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
M. Brown may be another candidate for the pre-cutdowns trading block.

One of the understated, but highly effective aspects of a good DL is rotation. While I'm not on board with extending him past the current contract, there's also no reason to cut him as an above average, sometimes better, DL in the rotation.

One of the understated, but highly effective aspects of a good DL is rotation. While I'm not on board with extending him past the current contract, there's also no reason to cut him as an above average, sometimes better, DL in the rotation.

Agreed. But I'm not suggesting that the Pats WILL trade him, much less recommending it. Fact is, I've been one of the few who've consistently defended Brown against those who complain that "he's never shown much" or that he's "a disappointment". I think he's been extremely solid and consistent in his production, and fine for his role in the Pats scheme (which isn't a particularly "dynamic" role).

However, if Shelton and Guy continue to be the best tandem, and Butler and Valentine show that they're at least as good as Brown in rotational/reserve roles, the "better a year too early"maxim MAY kick in. This also may depend on how well one or another of the edge candidates (like Davis) develop in value.

IOW, I'm merely suggesting that - IF other things develop in a certain way - it's POSSIBLE that the Pats could seek to move Brown for the right price.

Agreed. But I'm not suggesting that the Pats WILL trade him, much less recommending it. Fact is, I've been one of the few who've consistently defended Brown against those who complain that "he's never shown much" or that he's "a disappointment". I think he's been extremely solid and consistent in his production, and fine for his role in the Pats scheme (which isn't a particularly "dynamic" role).

However, if Shelton and Guy continue to be the best tandem, and Butler and Valentine show that they're at least as good as Brown in rotational/reserve roles, the "better a year too early"maxim MAY kick in. This also may depend on how well one or another of the edge candidates (like Davis) develop in value.

IOW, I'm merely suggesting that - IF other things develop in a certain way - it's POSSIBLE that the Pats could seek to move Brown for the right price.
It’s a huuuuuuge stretch to say Shelton/Guy is better than Shelton/Brown or that butler is as good as brown (valentine will be backup NT to Shelton if he sticks)
Brown will, if healthy play the mist snake if all the DTs.

Trading him and having Guy starting and butler begins him will be asking for the fun d to continue to struggle.

The left guard had Wise. The Halfback had Bentley.

I'm not sure whose responsibility it was to plug that lane but someone missed an assignment. Whether Bentley bit too hard on the RB's cut, Hightower stunted too late or Wise was just power driving with his head down I don't know.

Shelton is held on that play as well although it would be a ticky tack call. imo.

I looked again and Bentley 51 is blocked by the back. I don't blame anybody on the defense on plays as well executed as that. These are professional football players.

It's like the Packers "Power Sweep" in the Lombardi dynasty era. Everybody knew what was coming and as long as Jerry Kramer pulled properly, it gained yards.

Because he projects as a physical, power rusher. Not ideal for such a player to lose weight.

Depends on how much weight and what kind. Hill was ~230 coming out of college, and apparently over 235 the past couple seasons in Cinci, when his YPA declined from 5.1 to 3.8 and under. IIRC, it was actually the Pats who asked him to trim down closer to 225. That would still leave him at least 10lbs heavier than any other RB currently on the Pats roster. He's also 2"-4" taller than the rest.

One guy I thought had a very good game and showed further improvement is Adam Butler. He is clearly part of the first D rotation and Id be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

Here some clips in a twitter thread from Lazar:

Not Patriots related, but what a punt. :eek:

WHO was that guy?

Edit: never mind, just saw the full-screen image. Cam Johnston of the Eagles.
Why can't we get guys like that?

Last edited:
This is an interesting clip of run D . can't recall to be posted yet

1. No KVN, Hightower @Los (as in preseason last yr) Roberts and Bentley LBs . could become regular run D rotation

2. I wonder how some of you see this but id say High is taking it conservatively with his pec (also not yet there with his form), Wise is over aggressive and loses contain of his B gap too quickly (i doubt its by design on 1st and 10 and pretty clear run play), Shelton is a little late shedding his block .. the rest of the play is hard to judge since it was a clear holding on Bentley otherwise the run probably stops there.. and while Richards does his usual keystone cop routine I don't like the way JC Jackson played there (i understand he is the last man and can't be too aggressive but it was too mellow through the end imo)
Shelton might've been held on that play, but he still should've made the tackle. Same as Bentley, to a lesser extent. Everybody else just plain fecked up.

More behind further improved Adam Butler

AB came to the Patriots at 305 pounds last spring for rookie minicamp. By last summer, he was down to 280 pounds after the Patriots set a plan in place for him to trim his body fat. He went from 26 percent body fat down to 19.6 percent. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick noted last year that Butler could add some “quality weight” during the season. Butler got up to 285 pounds, and now he’s tackled on more quality weight through hard work over the summer. He’s 292 pounds but still feels like he moves as well as he did last year.

Read more at: Adam Butler Reshaped His Body In Fight For Patriots Roster Spot

This is not true. Go back and re-watch the game. The Falcons ran the ball AWAY from Ninkovich. Not at him. How can you say that he was "getting abused" when the other team intentionally game plans to keep him out of the play?

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a bad argument. Please stop, because you’re embarrassing yourself.

Screenshot 1: Freeman touchdown run. I’ve circled Nink, in case you weren’t sure what number he used to wear. Freeman ran right at Nink, faked to the inside then ran around him to the edge with ease. 7-0 Falcons.
E249CA92-2CC5-44EF-AA9B-609952FD1584.jpeg

Screenshot 2: Falcons target Ninkovich again, this time with a short pass to Coleman. Easy TD. 27-3 Atlanta.
7EF79992-2549-4B0A-A040-6DEEF72C502B.jpeg

14 points for Atlanta using Nink’s lack of speed to their advantage. Yup, the Falcons avoided him like the plague.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a bad argument. Please stop, because you’re embarrassing yourself.

Screenshot 1: Freeman touchdown run. I’ve circled Nink, in case you weren’t sure what number he used to wear. Freeman ran right at Nink, faked to the inside then ran around him to the edge with ease. 7-0 Falcons.
View attachment 21011

Screenshot 2: Falcons target Ninkovich again, this time with a short pass to Coleman. Easy TD. 27-3 Atlanta.
View attachment 21010

14 points for Atlanta using Nink’s lack of speed to their advantage. Yup, the Falcons avoided him like the plague.

You really shouldn't tell other people that they are embarrassing themselves when you're making an ass of yourself. You cherry picked WHEN in the video to take your shot of Ninkovich. If you're sorry arse had actually started at the beginning of the play, you'd have seen that Ninkovich lines up on the LEFT SIDE of the line. Freeman fakes a DIVE at the LEFT SIDE "A" gap and cut's outside the LT. Again, it's not AT Ninkovich no matter what you claim .

Watch New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons [02/05/2017] - NFL.com

Ninkovich starts on the LEFT side of the LINE. I circled him for you in case you didn't know his number..

Ninkovich.jpg

The second play wasn't even a RUN. It was a PASS to the right side. Again, if you actually WATCHED the play, you'd have seen that the Atlanta Receiver HELD Ninkovich well beyond the 1 yard zone preventing Ninkovich from getting over to Freeman.

Watch New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons [02/05/2017] - NFL.com

Nink2_A.jpg
Nink2_B.jpg

So, you'll forgive me if I don't take the word of some slack arse motor mouth who doens't know what he's talking about. You've chosen ignorance over intelligence.

One guy I thought had a very good game and showed further improvement is Adam Butler. He is clearly part of the first D rotation and Id be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

Here some clips in a twitter thread from Lazar:

More behind further improved Adam Butler

AB came to the Patriots at 305 pounds last spring for rookie minicamp. By last summer, he was down to 280 pounds after the Patriots set a plan in place for him to trim his body fat. He went from 26 percent body fat down to 19.6 percent. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick noted last year that Butler could add some “quality weight” during the season. Butler got up to 285 pounds, and now he’s tackled on more quality weight through hard work over the summer. He’s 292 pounds but still feels like he moves as well as he did last year.

Read more at: Adam Butler Reshaped His Body In Fight For Patriots Roster Spot

Thanks. I've been impressed with AB, to the point where I consider him not only a lock, but due for a good sized uptick in responsibility. And yet, I've seen at least one roster projection that leaves him off in favor of Davis, so I was wondering if I had just been imagining things. This makes me feel a bit better about my cognitive faculties. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back