PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Washington @ NE Rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any other kind?
Speaking of Richards "bad" does not exactly has its meaning. There are much more adjectives like: disastrous,terrible or nightmarish describing his game

My retriever would be an upgrade over Richards. I am looking for someone who can fill the shoes of McCourty, Harmon or Chung. Chung in particular. Nobody on the roster can do what he does. Best bet would be to move Rowe back to S, although I like him at CB better than most. At least there is young talent at CB with Wiltz, Lewis, Dawson, Jackson, and Crossen. At safety it's duct tape.
I’d say it’s more like cheesecloth than duct tape—you know, something that can hold stuff together but it’s full of holes.

Love Nink but the last time we saw him on the field he was getting abused by the Falcons RBs.

This is not true. Go back and re-watch the game. The Falcons ran the ball AWAY from Ninkovich. Not at him. How can you say that he was "getting abused" when the other team intentionally game plans to keep him out of the play?

What I saw from Shelton was promising in this regard. I liked the Shelton-Guy combo on the inside.

On the other side of the coin I was not impressed with M. Brown. Hopefully it's just rust

He's really taking things to another level. Must follow for any football fan, but particularly Patriots aficionados.

I really liked his breakdown on Derek Rivers - objective, balanced, nuanced analysis.

The player next to him (Guy I think? Couldn't tell if it was #93) gets pushed back, opening a lane that otherwise wouldn't be there. Shelton stalemates in the middle, extends, and then controls the blocker on the way over to the running back. I don't think he got pushed back against his will. If the other DT played that properly, it would have been a run for no gain.

That is too harsh on Guy. After he loses half a step initially he holds well and actually stuffs the gap. This is against what was supposed to be a strong run team and if DL plays run like this its gonna be ok.

As we could see from his college tape . Bentley was born for GL D. That's the first reason I thought he should make the team, not only 53 but 46 as well. He did still surprise with his overall play and most of all already carrying the green dot. Had some minor hicup in staying with assignment in zone but looks like a fast learner. We'll see how he goes against real offence and play actions but could be a major upgrade of LB unit depth and some solid insurance for Hightower..

M. Brown may be another candidate for the pre-cutdowns trading block.

Malcom Brown is coming off of a foot injury. Those need to be managed just right or they are chronic and end careers. Brown was one of the Patriots' most reliable DTs last season. The rotation of Guy, Shelton, Valentine and Brown is solid. There's no Vince Wilfork in that group (so far), but this is a capable group.

The Pats have three DTs from major college programs backing up the top four Herron, Butler and Atkins. One of them will probably make the practice squad, although the Patriots have been a regular shopper for veteran DTs released by other teams.

Malcom Brown is coming off of a foot injury. Those need to be managed just right or they are chronic and end careers. Brown was one of the Patriots' most reliable DTs last season. The rotation of Guy, Shelton, Valentine and Brown is solid. There's no Vince Wilfork in that group (so far), but this is a capable group.

The Pats have three DTs from major college programs backing up the top four Herron, Butler and Atkins. One of them will probably make the practice squad, although the Patriots have been a regular shopper for veteran DTs released by other teams.

I agree with all of this except swap Valentine and Butler. I think Butler has been higher on the depth chart through camp and has looked better.

This is an interesting clip of run D . can't recall to be posted yet

1. No KVN, Hightower @Los (as in preseason last yr) Roberts and Bentley LBs . could become regular run D rotation

2. I wonder how some of you see this but id say High is taking it conservatively with his pec (also not yet there with his form), Wise is over aggressive and loses contain of his B gap too quickly (i doubt its by design on 1st and 10 and pretty clear run play), Shelton is a little late shedding his block .. the rest of the play is hard to judge since it was a clear holding on Bentley otherwise the run probably stops there.. and while Richards does his usual keystone cop routine I don't like the way JC Jackson played there (i understand he is the last man and can't be too aggressive but it was too mellow through the end imo)

Last edited:
I'm not yet ready to count Eddie Pleasant out.

With Richards bad performance + injury and Travis not showing enough . Id think they should get Pleasant a fair chance to earn his job as #4 S. He did get some more first reps with the 1-2 groups and i look forward to see later today this trend increasing. Maybe AJ Moore gets a closer look as well..

This is an interesting clip of run D . can't recall to be posted yet

1. No KVN, Hightower @Los (as in preseason last yr) Roberts and Bentley LBs . could become regular run D rotation

2. I wonder how some of you see this but id say High is taking it conservatively with his pec (also not yet there with his form), Wise is over aggressive and loses contain of his B gap too quickly (i doubt its by design on 1st and 10 and pretty clear run play), Shelton is a little late shedding his block .. the rest of the play is hard to judge since it was a clear holding on Bentley otherwise the run probably stops there.. and while Richards does his usual keystone cop routine I don't like the way JC Jackson played there (i understand he is the last man and can't be too aggressive but it was too mellow through the end imo)

Perfectly blocked by the Redskins. Everyone found and stopped their man. The H-Back was perfect in getting to Deatrich Wise #91.

That's the play that top Redskins RB Guice blew out his ACL. What a bummer. I wish the orthopedic guys could come up with a way to prevent ACL tears - definitely one of the top weaknesses of human anatomy.

Last edited:
Perfectly blocked by the Redskins. Everyone found and stopped their man. The H-Back was perfect in getting to Deatrich Wise #91.

That's the play that top Redskins RB Guice blew out his ACL. What a bummer. I wish the orthopedic guys could come up with a way to prevent ACL tears - definitely one of the top weaknesses of human anatomy.

The left guard had Wise. The Halfback had Bentley.

I'm not sure whose responsibility it was to plug that lane but someone missed an assignment. Whether Bentley bit too hard on the RB's cut, Hightower stunted too late or Wise was just power driving with his head down I don't know.

Shelton is held on that play as well although it would be a ticky tack call. imo.

The left guard had Wise. The Halfback had Bentley.

I'm not sure whose responsibility it was to plug that lane but someone missed an assignment. Whether Bentley bit too hard on the RB's cut, Hightower stunted too late or Wise was just power driving with his head down I don't know.

Shelton is held on that play as well although it would be a ticky tack call. imo.

Given the size of the gap that Wise left behind I would somewhat say it is more on him overplaying it. On a minor note I guess HT could have wrapped around earlier but no clue what the exact instructions there are. Bentley got held otherwise this run stops after 5 yards (?).

I think the camera angle makes it look like Shelton is closer to the RB than he really was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes