PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is why the Patriots won't trade Jimmy G in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ignores any growth in Brissett's play and what the team does with the added picks.

By including him in this analysis, the assumption is Brisset is capable of running this offense at a level of efficiency which puts this team in serious contention for a Super Bowl in 2017.

Obviously, I refuse to make that assumption for 2017.

2018 is a different story.

Then why keep Brissette on the roster last year? I think it's because they anticipated the possibility of trading JG and wanted Brissett to get an accelerated learning curve or at least evaluate his potential to decide whether or not to trade JG. They're thinking about trading him and I think they do.

I think BB layers his risk mitigation strategy. Its not just one reason.

Certainly there is an opportunity for some team like CLE to offer multiple high picks for Jimmy. But perhaps but they also are fully aware they have a QB who has shown very little degradation in play, is still 39 years old and those players- regardless of health tend not to heal faster than younger players.

Is there some new 2017 Patsfans Rite of Passage or something that each poster needs to create a separate JAG thread to post their own opinion (not that they haven't posted it a dozen times before in other JAG threads) about what will/should whatever happen?

The reason "Why the Patriots won't trade Jimmy G. in 2017?"

I know! I know! Call on me! Call on me!

So we can have another entire off-season of threads about what the Pats will/should/might do with "Free Agent Jimmy G." next year!

We may literally get nothing at all for him if we do not trade him this year.
They should still be able to recoup a 3rd round comp pick at the least, and I'm sure Belichick would keep a close eye on the moves that are made in FA allowing them to do so.

They would also have the option to tag and trade. There will be a market for QBs next year, too, same as any other year. We've got guys like Mike Glennon starting on NFL teams. There will still be a need for QBs. I agree that they may not be able to get as much back in trade value next year, possibly even nearly as much, but I don't agree with the idea of "literally nothing."

Again, though, this has been beaten to death. Anyone who thinks they aren't going to carry over a substantial amount of cap space is fooling themselves. Obviously, that could be tied into any decision they'll make. Building a team like this and then not having an adequate backup would be ridiculously stupid. While it's certainly debatable whether or not JG would have taken us to the SB last year, he's clearly the best option to give the team a fighting chance.

1) Garrapolo is insurance againstB rady getting injured before or during the 2017 season, with Brady coming back in 2017 or sometime in 2018. If necessary, Garrapolo could be franchised for 2018.

2) The open question is the value of this insurance. Obviously, the team would ACCEEPT the first pick in the draft for Jimmy. So, sure, we could hope for extreme stupidity from a needy team.

BOTTOM LINE
Jimmy is likely to be the best backup in the NFL this season, and that is GOOD thing for the patriots.

1) Garrapolo is insurance againstB rady getting injured before or during the 2017 season, with Brady coming back in 2017 or sometime in 2018. If necessary, Garrapolo could be franchised for 2018.

2) The open question is the value of this insurance. Obviously, the team would ACCEEPT the first pick in the draft for Jimmy. So, sure, we could hope for extreme stupidity from a needy team.

BOTTOM LINE
Jimmy is likely to be the best backup in the NFL this season, and that is GOOD thing for the patriots.

I do not accept your second premise, at all. I agree otherwise.

Well if Grappolo is to be traded nothing says they need to get a # 1 pick this year. Cleveland has

2 first round picks this year & 2 2nd round picks and their 3rd round pick.

Next year: their 1st rd pick, 3 second rd picks and their 3rd rnd pick.

So take the #33 and #65 pick THIS year, and Cleveland's 1st rd pick and one of their 2nd round picks.

Their first next year could be a top 10 pick in a QB rich draft.

I see no possible way that you could get more for garapollo next year than his year. The patriots will be over a barrel. They can't keep a backup at 24 million. I don't think any team in their right mind would trade for him without an agreement for a long term deal in place. But why would Jimmy agree to that? He can refuse and end up a free agent where he can write his own deal. Not to mention if I'm jimmy I do not want my new team to give up a ton to get me when I can just play hardball, get released and let my future team keep its picks.

We may literally get nothing at all for him if we do not trade him this year.

As to the other side if your argument it's silly to say you won't trade a player because you think other teams should be willing to offer more. The market is what it is. The decision isn't what is offered vs what you hoped for. It's what is offered vs one year of service as a backup QB and potentially getting nothing at all.

Cousin Andy, Have to agree vehemently.

1) Pats never get more than Jimmy G is worth as a "cheap test" for a year for any Team that trades for him.If they want to sign him even half way through the season to a big deal, they still can. This creates interest from
Teams like the Texans who perhaps did pay way too much for Osweiler.

They need a QB right away and Billy O was lamenting this week how it is a tremendous undertaking with a rookie QB. Their system is the same or similar as the Patriots, so they have a possibility of a seamless transition. Plus they will pay less for Jimmy G than if they have to swap up picks to get a Trubisky in both CAP monies and giving up picks anyway. It also might entice Teams like the Chiefs and Chargers who might be closer to changing out aging QBs.

2) Even in Jimmy G's small sample of work, he has had three NFL Camps and has been emulating TB in every Pats QB drill. He is coached by one of the best OC's in the game for three years. Do you prefer a QB that has played in some games in the NFL, is seasoned more than any other rookie, or gamble that the QB you Drafted is not Christian Ponder or E.J. Manual?

3) Win now Teams like the Texans, Chiefs or even a sneaky Team in the mix like Coughlin and the Jags who have invested big in other positions, but who are not enthralled with Bortles, I am sure would prefer a seasoned Jimmy G.

4)The last time we checked, it was Jimmy G. that got hurt last year, not the 39 year old Brady. As a side note, you think Alonzo is going to pile drive Brady with such vigor? Does the world world watch every hit Brady takes including the Refs? So waiting for a Brady injury is luck that every NFL player needs to avoid injury. TB is in shape and has no major issues.

5) Do you think Jimmy G wants to sit a few more years, or get his own Team even if the Browns? As a competitor he should believe he could make a difference.

6) If Jimmy G was in this Draft , would there be any doubt he would be the first QB taken? Maybe pick #1? Therefor getting the number one pick for him from the Browns is feasible, but perhaps not plausible in the mind of the Browns as like any Team, they seek the best deal.

In fact I would take Osweiler (might close the deal!) to take Jimmy G's B.U. place if the Browns fork over his major Salary (they will to make this trade) . He has spots where he played well. The Playoff game here in the first half he was slinging. He was better than TB. Why couldn't Osweiler be competitive as a back up here if Brisett is Geno Smith in disguise? I'd feel about the same with Osweiler as if Jimmy G was here in back up roles, and you know JG will not be around to two or three years anyway.In the end Osweiler might be a cheaper option.

What if Josh can get Oweiler going? He might bring some good wampum in the future as well.

7) It is astute to say I can't see the Pats franchising Jimmy G and paying $24 MM is QBs in 2018.........And then hoping said back up QB does not play a snap in 2018.

8) Jimmy G could force the Pats hand in 2018 and worse case scenario, Pats wind up with that "oh-so-valuable" third round comp pick they love (see Jamie Collins......all of us in this forum could have made a better Trade.....punishment to send him to Siberia? Perhaps)

9) Teams will pay a ransom for a good QB. So the return is NOW for Jimmy G. The much oft injured Bradford brought a first and another top 2018 pick and he has been mediocre his career.

10) The not-so-discussed trade options are available in 2018 from two Teams mentioned. The Texans are going to have to move up to get a QB of note unless they wait and take the risky spread QB Mahomes or Webb.
The reasons the Texans could push for JG are many.

a-They are in a win now mode.

b-Great D and some weapons but no QB...No Romo as hoped!

c-So it will cost Texans picks regardless to do for a top tier rookie who maybe the answer

d-Bill O made a statement this week about rookie QBs being a pain.

e-Billy O was forced to take Osweiler which might have led to a bad marriage anyway. What would the BB reaction be if the Krafts forced him to take a player?

f-As said, the learning curve is a familiar one for Jimmy G in Houston system. Makes JG even more attractive.

g-The money this year as a "test" cannot be denied for the Texans CAP. They have a short term "out" unlike Osweiler.

h-The BB and BO friendship maybe a consideration.

i-Both Teams know you have to give something to get something. It has been mentioned little by some very quietly as chatter (or BS). That perhaps a jimmy G and a pick plus JJ Watt. would work? Would a second Texans pick and JJ work? Taboo in Houston??? Not enough?

j-It appears the Pats are in a "let's clobber em" this year mode. Picks are just a nice thought but not a given to contribute this year. Top notch NFL player might excite BB to trade.

k-Back to Watt; It is a gamble on both sides as Watt is back from back surgery and JG is still slightly an unknown but a great talent.

l-The Texans made the playoffs without JJ Watt. They could retain picks if they trade. Jimmy G can be their long term answer and they have some good young D linemen like Clowney.

m-Some say why help a Team that could challenge you in the AFC? BB traded Bledsoe into his own division. BB does not think that way. He has a book on Jimmy G.

11) Would the Browns give enough to end the" Jimmy G is staying" camp? It might not be the Browns, but BB himself is scouting first round talent.

I think there is a deal already done. Some say he might be doing a smoke screen. Same guy (BB) says the day after the Super Bowl he is behind for 2017 already.

Maybe it's Malcom but he can play in 2017 and JGs best option for the Pats is to see him sit in 2017 and not play a snap.

12)Build up enough top picks this year and you can have your choice of the top three good QB class in 2018 for the TB heir. Maybe better talent that Jimmy G. Anyone thought of that yet?

Yep .......you trade him in my opinion.
DW Toys

You guys are Ignoring the possibility of waiting until after the draft and trading Garoppolo for 2018 and later draft assets sometime either late in the off-season or preseason. It's possible that all Belichick wants is more data on Brady and is willing to trade Garoppolo this year, but only after he has a chance to see what Brady looks like this summer.

Ah, the Cassandra of "Brady might fall apart any minute now!" never fails to disappoint

You guys are Ignoring the possibility of waiting until after the draft and trading Garoppolo for 2018 and later draft assets sometime either late in the off-season or preseason. It's possible that all Belichick wants is more data on Brady and is willing to trade Garoppolo this year, but only after he has a chance to see what Brady looks like this summer.

and what Brissett looks like this summer

Ah, the Cassandra of "Brady might fall apart any minute now!" never fails to disappoint
Made all the more annoying because you can't just ignore the possibility.

Welcome to life on the outer edge of the Bell curve

What about him? The Patriots have ZERO chance of singing him.
How do you figure? Are you apart of the Pats upper management? Do you regularly attend coach, GM, Director of pro personnel meetings?? Has BB tipped you in regards to whom the Pats will be selecting in the 2018-2020 NFL drafts??? Lastly, how do you know exactly what draft picks the Pats will have in the coming years??? No, you do not!

Also, are you ASSUMING that just because we draft late in the first every year, that we will not have the draft capital/ ammo to move up when Darnold declares for the draft??? Remember, who knows what compensation we'll get via a Jimmy G trade or whatever BB has up his "cut off; yet never-ending" sleeves.

So yea... SAM DARNOLD.

LMAO, why would he sign? $25M reasons. Sure he'd prefer to get it and play but he's taking the $25M.

And, yes, I do think JG could win a Super Bowl with Gronk, Cooks and Edelman.
He will get more than that in the open market.

You seem to not understand how great Brady was to carry us to those Super Bowls.

true Brissett is a major factor
This is one of those rare occasions where it is in the best interest of a #2 to make sure that the #3 is doing well enough that he can be replaced.... and the #2 can move on to a better opportunity...

They should still be able to recoup a 3rd round comp pick at the least, and I'm sure Belichick would keep a close eye on the moves that are made in FA allowing them to do so.
This assumes we don't sign players. At least good ones. We will have cap space. I doubt we eat it to get a 3rd.
Of course if we tag him and have to cut him because we can't trade him we will get nothing.

They would also have the option to tag and trade. There will be a market for QBs next year, too, same as any other year. We've got guys like Mike Glennon starting on NFL teams. There will still be a need for QBs. I agree that they may not be able to get as much back in trade value next year, possibly even nearly as much, but I don't agree with the idea of "literally nothing."
He would have to sign the tag and there are big reasons for him not to.

Again, though, this has been beaten to death. Anyone who thinks they aren't going to carry over a substantial amount of cap space is fooling themselves. Obviously, that could be tied into any decision they'll make. Building a team like this and then not having an adequate backup would be ridiculously stupid. While it's certainly debatable whether or not JG would have taken us to the SB last year, he's clearly the best option to give the team a fighting chance.
What would be ridiculously stupid would be paying 24 mill for a backup QB.

He needs more data on Brady?
Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back