PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Pats @ Mia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, he was running flat out on INT #2 and the ball was underthrown. I don't know if it would be physically possible for him to have disrupted the pick in any meaningful way.

The moment he realized it is an underthrown pass imho he should have slowed down more and looked for the DB to run into him to make the ref call DPI. If you have a few steps and get rear-ended it usually ends in your favor. And at worst you prevent a possible INT. But that is my cynical view on it..

On some level my curiosity to dive into A22 footage is usually higher when we actually lose games.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Luuked :(

Anybody know what foot is causing Brady problems. Could he be unable to push off and get force on the ball?

After listening to Giardi/Koppen and Curran/Perry/Mayo it really doesnt sound like anyone really believes the achilles injury really bothers Brady. And Curran is pretty close with him. If there was something he'd subtly point towards it.

The working theory on Quick Slants was that Brady just didnt want to have a repeat of the game against Miami at home were he was hit a couple of times through his throwing motion (which sucks because you completely expose yourself to the hit).

Of course it might all be ********.. especially the second part but then when you listen to how Mayo said that BB sometimes essentially threw games on purpose to make a point to the team it leaves you wondering.

In case anyone is interested, Mayo said that in a certain game that he was part of BB essentially told the team beforehand that they will not throw the ball at all before they dont hit 100 yards on the ground. Perry kinda guessed and implied it was that weird 2015 @Miami game that nobody could wrap their head around here.

After listening to Giardi/Koppen and Curran/Perry/Mayo it really doesnt sound like anyone really believes the achilles injury really bothers Brady. And Curran is pretty close with him. If there was something he'd subtly point towards it.

The working theory on Quick Slants was that Brady just didnt want to have a repeat of the game against Miami at home were he was hit a couple of times through his throwing motion (which sucks because you completely expose yourself to the hit).

Of course it might all be ********.. especially the second part but then when you listen to how Mayo said that BB sometimes essentially threw games on purpose to make a point to the team it leaves you wondering.

In case anyone is interested, Mayo said that in a certain game that he was part of BB essentially told the team beforehand that they will not throw the ball at all before they dont hit 100 yards on the ground. Perry kinda guessed and implied it was that weird 2015 @Miami game that nobody could wrap their head around here.
i think i believe it, of course its going to be during either games considered very winnable (bad teams) or games that dont matter end of hte year as much (seeing ie 1 vs 2 is about equal)

I’d estimate it was on their 3rd to last drive but I’ll see if I can maybe read through the play-by-play to get a better idea.

Edit: Should be 2nd&4 on our 25 with 7:24 left. Play ended up being incomplete to Allen. Then 3rd was an incompletion to Cooks on a slant I want to say.

Is that it ?

i think i believe it, of course its going to be during either games considered very winnable (bad teams) or games that dont matter end of hte year as much (seeing ie 1 vs 2 is about equal)

The more you read the play-by-play of that game the more you believe it.

Patriots vs. Dolphins - Play-By-Play - January 3, 2016 - ESPN

It certainly made sense to give Jackson and the OL an extended workout given how padded practices were reduced. Sucks that it turned out to cost us HFA but at least know we kinda know the madness behind that gameplan back then..

I somewhat agree. Especially for Hogan considering the time he has missed lately. But on the other hand, we can’t dismiss all the practice time from the offseason and pre-bye week.

I agree. Everything was just a little bit off. I’m not worried, it should be fixed by next game.

The moment he realized it is an underthrown pass imho he should have slowed down more and looked for the DB to run into him to make the ref call DPI. If you have a few steps and get rear-ended it usually ends in your favor. And at worst you prevent a possible INT. But that is my cynical view on it..

I don’t know why we don’t coach this up in our wrs, in regards to underthrown balls. It’s a win win situation. Get a dpi or break up an int. We’ve had it called in our favor a few times before. It used to be a problem with our dbs not turning their heads around, which we’ve fixed a lot.

Is that it ?

At least two better options before the pressure got to him. Was that Allen he was throwing to, and was he the first read? Brady will be mad at himself after watching film.

At least two better options before the pressure got to him. Was that Allen he was throwing to, and was he the first read? Brady will be mad at himself after watching film.

I dont think he was supposed to be the first read. But since the pressure coming via Solder was closing in Brady had no time to set for any of the other reads really and Allen became the only viable target..

Is that it ?
Yup, that’s it. Thanks.

The two ILBs are at the LOS showing blitz right as the ball is snapped. Before the ball is snapped, Brady should already be planning on finding one of the three receivers on the right side of the field get open. A D-end drops back into coverage which should be no match for Amendola. As Dola and Dwayne run their route, the DE chooses to cover Allen as he turns back to face Brady. Dola continues to run over the middle with no one on him which could’ve been an easy 15 yards. What seemed to have gone wrong on this play is Solder took a second too long to pick up the blitzing Mike allowing Kiko to beat Solder on the outside. Brady sees this and starts fleeing the pocket. Dola is getting open right as all of this is unraveling so it is reasonable for Brady to bail and look at his closest target. But I dont think it would be asking a lot for Brady to throw the ball over the middle, anticipating Dola to get open, and maybe lead him with the throw. Even if Dola has to catch it low and can’t get YAC, we still get ~15 yards.

Right as the ball was snapped when I was watching the game live, I thought Brady would surely take advantage of the blitz and find the open man. Dola could have sat down in the soft spot of the zone a little closer to the line of scrimmage but there’s no way he knew Brady would be getting pressure almost immediately.

e. Brady sees this and starts fleeing the pocket. Dola is getting open right as all of this is unraveling so it is reasonable for Brady to bail and look at his closest target. But I dont think it would be asking a lot for Brady to throw the ball over the middle, anticipating Dola to get open, and maybe lead him with the throw. Even if Dola has to catch it low and can’t get YAC, we still get ~15 yards.

If this is a playoff game (or Pittsburgh next week) Brady makes the throw and takes the punishment from the opponent rusher. The more scenes I see the more I wonder if Curran & co might be right and he purposefully tried to avoid contact..

I think it is a combination of everything that is happening.

With Cannon and Waddle out we need to leave someone in to chip/block on most plays which means one less player out running pass patterns. Despite that other parts of the OL didnt play a perfect game either and allowed pressure which over the course of the game made Brady rush some throws.

The lack of Gronk meant Miami had one more defensive player to play around because they really didnt need to double cover anyone consistently except for Cooks. That player got to play rat/robber through most of the game making the middle of the field more crowded and crossing routes not really available.

The experience at home vs. Miami when he was hit so often maybe also left a lasting impression to the point where he made a mental decision to take fewer hits this time and not follow through contact on some throws. Curran and Perry were speculating about that a bit on Quick Slants.

And finally he also had a bad day.
Bro, I gotta hand it to you. You’re pretty much always on point.

Is that it ?

Yikes. Hard to tell from the All-22 here, but whoever that was running the post was open for a big gain.

Some nice clips here from Lazar ...

Is that it ?
Maybe he's thinking of Brady's second INT of the game, during the opening drive of the 2nd half, on 3rd/16, when he forced Another long pass to Cooks (who shamefully NEVER fights for balls) into double coverage, while Amendola was wide, Wide, WIDE open in the middle of the field at the sticks. (BTW, the 3rd/16 was the result of more weakness & incompetence by Joey Thuney on 2nd/8.)

Besides Brady's inexcusable mis-read, 3 other things really cost us that game:

The continued comical, game-costing buffoonery of Jordan Richards and his whiff of Jay Cutler, of all people, on 3rd/7 near the end of the 1st half. That's 4 points Miami never ever should've scored;

The holding penalty (on Chung?) during Reedy's punt return to the Pats 47 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the result of which brought the ball all the way back to the 15. I would like to believe that, being properly motivated with the excellent field position, the Pats could've mustered at least 22 yards for a FG during that possession;

And the pass to Amendola that resulted in 1st/goal inside the 1 with 1:44 remaining.
If Miami had scored only a FG near the end of the first half, then the Pats would've been able to milk the clock (Miami had no time-outs left) down to under 1:10, whereupon Brady could have even taken a knee on first down, and that would've brought the game clock down to approximately :35 seconds with one Pats time-out still in their pocket and 3 chances to score a TD.

Maybe he's thinking of Brady's second INT of the game, during the opening drive of the 2nd half, on 3rd/16, when he forced Another long pass to Cooks (who shamefully NEVER fights for balls) into double coverage, while Amendola was wide, Wide, WIDE open in the middle of the field at the sticks. (BTW, the 3rd/16 was the result of more weakness & incompetence by Joey Thuney on 2nd/8.)

Besides Brady's inexcusable mis-read, 3 other things really cost us that game:

The continued comical, game-costing buffoonery of Jordan Richards and his whiff of Jay Cutler, of all people, on 3rd/7 near the end of the 1st half. That's 4 points Miami never ever should've scored;

The holding penalty (on Chung?) during Reedy's punt return to the Pats 47 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the result of which brought the ball all the way back to the 15. I would like to believe that, being properly motivated with the excellent field position, the Pats could've mustered at least 22 yards for a FG during that possession;

And the pass to Amendola that resulted in 1st/goal inside the 1 with 1:44 remaining.
If Miami had scored only a FG near the end of the first half, then the Pats would've been able to milk the clock (Miami had no time-outs left) down to under 1:10, whereupon Brady could have even taken a knee on first down, and that would've brought the game clock down to approximately :35 seconds with one Pats time-out still in their pocket and 3 chances to score a TD.

There's nothing comical about what Richards does while he's on the field.

Unless you're into dark comedies.

I have to run now so I can't give this thread the close look and commentary that it deserves, but I have this quick observation. I think it's a telling statement on how fans view their sport that the Guerrero thread had engendered over 370 comments and this one only 30.

THIS is perhaps the most important thread of the week. I look forward to being an active participant when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back