PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Pats @ Mia

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
The usual rules apply.. keep your posts somehow on topics that are relevant to evidence, take unrelated back and forth please to the post game thread or expect those posts to be deleted by admins. Also keep in mind this is a hot take free zone that is centered around discussing what is visible on tape and not projections or conjecture..

For now I will start the thread about the game that apparently drove @patfanken into madness with some posts from Chatham. If I find some time I will contribute a couple of scenes myself. Otherwise I guess we can fill it with some tape analysis from Baldy, Evan Lazar and various beat writer tweets..

I thought this one might be relevant because I was getting downvotes in the post game thread questioning Cooks' effort to at least prevent the underthrown balls to be intercepted by being more physical:

Personally, I agree about the momentum part but I still think that Cooks could have shown a bit more effort on both plays.

I thought this one might be relevant because I was getting downvotes in the post game thread questioning Cooks' effort to at least prevent the underthrown balls to be intercepted by being more physical:

Personally, I agree about the momentum part but I still think that Cooks could have shown a bit more effort on both plays.

The first one should have been DPI. On the second one, Cooks appeared to be looking right at Howard with the ability to perhaps make a play on the ball (I've seen him make more athletic plays before). He has to try to do something about that. So that stance is not a HAWT TAEK.

Cooks is coming back to the ball but the defender is interfering with that. Only at the end of that play does the defender turn his head around for the int. The contact before that was dpi. A similar foul but less contact foul was called on us in that game.

Angelpats beat me to it.

Cooks is coming back to the ball but the defender is interfering with that. Only at the end of that play does the defender turn his head around for the int. The contact before that was dpi. A similar foul but less contact foul was called on us in that game.
I dont know.. from what I can tell on that clip the defender turns his head almost at the same time as Cooks stops his initial route to come back. And at that point once his head is turned he is also more or less between the ball and Cooks and has as much right to go for the ball as Cooks does.

At least thats how I understand the rules. But interesting to read another POV on that.

Similar to the second Chatham video @luuked posted, there was a play later in the game when MIA blitzed and Brady had Dola and another receiver stacked in the slot to his right being covered by one linebacker. I was sure Brady would pick it up and one of the two receivers would be open to get the ball. Dola seemed open from the in game replay but Brady didnt seem to look at either of the two receivers. I dont have access to footage but it would be nice if someone could find it to help analyze what happened.

I dont know.. from what I can tell on that clip the defender turns his head almost at the same time as Cooks stops his initial route to come back. And at that point once his head is turned he is also more or less between the ball and Cooks and has as much right to go for the ball as Cooks does.

At least thats how I understand the rules. But interesting to read another POV on that.

There might be a better angle than the YouTube video, but Howard's arm extended and pushed Cooks back before the ball got there. That was DPI. They then blew the call later in the game when they should have called Cooks for OPI for the same reason near the goal line.

Similar to the second Chatham video @luuked posted, there was a play later in the game when MIA blitzed and Brady had Dola and another receiver stacked in the slot to his right being covered by one linebacker. I was sure Brady would pick it up and one of the two receivers would be open to get the ball. Dola seemed open from the in game replay but Brady didnt seem to look at either of the two receivers. I dont have access to footage but it would be nice if someone could find it to help analyze what happened.

Difficult to find if you dont know at least an approximate (which quarter ?) time.

Difficult to find if you dont know at least an approximate (which quarter ?) time.
I’d estimate it was on their 3rd to last drive but I’ll see if I can maybe read through the play-by-play to get a better idea.

Edit: Should be 2nd&4 on our 25 with 7:24 left. Play ended up being incomplete to Allen. Then 3rd was an incompletion to Cooks on a slant I want to say.

Last edited:
I’d estimate it was on their 3rd to last drive but I’ll see if I can maybe read through the play-by-play to get a better idea.

Edit: Should be 2nd&4 on our 25 with 7:24 left. Play ended up being incomplete to Allen. Then 3rd was an incompletion to Cooks on a slant I want to say.

I think I know exactly what you mean. I remember a play that went incomplete to the sideline with Dola being completely open in the middle of the field like 20 yards from the LOS.

Let see if I can create a gif out of it..

I really think these missed practices are having a negative impact. Not on the plays being run but just the timing of everything. Something is wrong when we can’t make a single third down conversion. Sure Miami’s defense was great, but those two clips above showed Brady could have made or improved on the play. Like the Cooks pass above, that was short. Or leading Hogan just a little too much on the td, or the other long ball to him.

Anybody know what foot is causing Brady problems. Could he be unable to push off and get force on the ball?

The first one should have been DPI. On the second one, Cooks appeared to be looking right at Howard with the ability to perhaps make a play on the ball (I've seen him make more athletic plays before). He has to try to do something about that. So that stance is not a HAWT TAEK.

I don't know, he was running flat out on INT #2 and the ball was underthrown. I don't know if it would be physically possible for him to have disrupted the pick in any meaningful way.

I really think these missed practices are having a negative impact. Not on the plays being run but just the timing of everything. Something is wrong when we can’t make a single third down conversion. Sure Miami’s defense was great, but those two clips above showed Brady could have made or improved on the play. Like the Cooks pass above, that was short. Or leading Hogan just a little too much on the td, or the other long ball to him.

I think it is a combination of everything that is happening.

With Cannon and Waddle out we need to leave someone in to chip/block on most plays which means one less player out running pass patterns. Despite that other parts of the OL didnt play a perfect game either and allowed pressure which over the course of the game made Brady rush some throws.

The lack of Gronk meant Miami had one more defensive player to play around because they really didnt need to double cover anyone consistently except for Cooks. That player got to play rat/robber through most of the game making the middle of the field more crowded and crossing routes not really available.

The experience at home vs. Miami when he was hit so often maybe also left a lasting impression to the point where he made a mental decision to take fewer hits this time and not follow through contact on some throws. Curran and Perry were speculating about that a bit on Quick Slants.

And finally he also had a bad day.

I somewhat agree. Especially for Hogan considering the time he has missed lately. But on the other hand, we can’t dismiss all the practice time from the offseason and pre-bye week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes