PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Texans, all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A22 is up am going through it and if questions come up will just put them here..

Who is responsible here to pick up Reid or at least slow him down while he is shooting the gap ?

Is it on Michel to find a gap faster so this doesn't become a factor ?

Looks like that play don't account for a weakside blitz. Michel looks like he just needs to hit that hole harder. To be fair, that was a great play by Reid.

That hole was there and if Lacosse gets that block on 55, that's a big gain.

Looks like that play don't account for a weakside blitz. Michel looks like he just needs to hit that hole harder. To be fair, that was a great play by Reid.

That's what I'd like to understand. Is there a screwup from someone or is this just the RB being too slow.

There is another one a bit similar a few plays later on that give to Edelman where again there is a Texans player (this case Gipson) getting through untouched:

Watson and Cannon are initially doubling the DE and Gipson just runs by Watson untouched.

Yes, Wynn screws up and lets someone slip through the middle anyway but he could have potentially been picked up by Michel or been outrun by Edelman. Gipson would have blown up Edelman in the backfield anyway.

Would this one be more on Michel who was in a hard place with the other Texans player shooting by Wynn right in front of him ?

And Gipson shooting by Cannon while he and Mason double block again on the same drive:

Maybe my brain is just seeing pattern where there are none but it seems like a DB has blown up multiple plays (three that I took note of) by getting cleanly through the OL on the backside. That is three times that Michel had no opportunity to get untouched to the LOS.

That being said I started out watching the A22 with two things in mind. Checking out what LaCosse is up to and the running game on the first drive.

I actually like what I am seeing from LaCosse so far. Mostly blocking, not getting manhandled.. looks at least solid as a blocker.

Last edited:
To finish up the first drive.. Brady has Dorsett wide open for a TD but I suppose he feels the pressure from the DE, resets a little bit and then sails that one:

Too bad. This would have set a totally different tone in the game.

That's what I'd like to understand. Is there a screwup from someone or is this just the RB being too slow.

There is another one a bit similar a few plays later on that give to Edelman where again there is a Texans player (this case Gipson) getting through untouched:

Watson and Cannon are initially doubling the DE and Gipson just runs by Watson untouched.

Yes, Wynn screws up and lets someone slip through the middle anyway but he could have potentially been picked up by Michel or been outrun by Edelman. Gipson would have blown up Edelman in the backfield anyway.

Would this one be more on Michel who was in a hard place with the other Texans player shooting by Wynn right in front of him ?

Don't think it's a fail by Wynn. It's okay for him to ride his man out of play because it's going the other way. But he could have done a better job because it distracted Michel from blocking the backside pursuit.

But I think Watson gets a fail for letting the backside pursuer blow by him. He may have chosen to double block the DE. I believe that it's a no-no to double up on someone when the play is going away from you (hence it's hard for me to believe that a double block was the call). You only need to cause him to lose half a step, and even just a chip would have done that nicely.

A quick one before I gotta get some work done.

Here is the endzone view on the INT. Harry's role in this was already widely discussed; no need to keep piling on.

What hurts almost more is how wide open Meyers was in the middle:

Here is the endzone view on the INT. Harry's role in this was already widely discussed; no need to keep piling on.

It was a one-read call. Brady was never going to look elsewhere. It's similar to what he did with Gordon. A very simple play/call.

But I think Watson gets a fail for letting the backside pursuer blow by him. He may have chosen to double block the DE. I believe that it's a no-no to double up on someone when the play is going away from you (hence it's hard for me to believe that a double block was the call). You only need to cause him to lose half a step, and even just a chip would have done that nicely.

That is what I was thinking. But a DB getting through cleanly on the backside seemed like a theme on the first drive.

It was a one-read call. Brady was never going to look elsewhere. It's similar to what he did with Gordon. A very simple play/call.

Not blaming Brady, he never looked his way and like you are saying he was not supposed to. Just wanted to point out the separation Meyers had.

This is what I thought watching on TV but wasn't sure if there was a defender underneath Myer's route. But this shows that there was none and should have gotten the pass.

Regards to DB's blitzing on our run plays, looks like Crennel found something to exploit on the weakside. Something Josh would need to address going forward.

I think we've spent enough time beating up on our own team- I think we also need to give equal amount of credit to the defense. They did a great job, especially Crennel who called a great game.

This is what I thought watching on TV but wasn't sure if there was a defender underneath Myer's route. But this shows that there was none and should have gotten the pass.

If you watch Brady I think @PP2's point stands. This was a one read play as it is supposed to be really high percentage (if executed correctly). The Meyers thing goes to more to big picture view and how "nobody was getting separation" according to Collinsworth & co.

One other thing that I've noticed this year is that teams are finally starting to respect James White for what he really is and are putting their best or one of their best DB's on him on third downs.

And that is what Crennel did.

This was using our tactic against us.

If you watch Brady I think @PP2's point stands. This was a one read play as it is supposed to be really high percentage (if executed correctly). The Meyers thing goes to more to big picture view and how "nobody was getting separation" according to Collinsworth & co.

How do we know this was a one read play? Was it because of the defense they were playing? The matchup? Or simply because Brady forced the throw?

How do we know this was a one read play? Was it because of the defense they were playing? The matchup? Or simply because Brady forced the throw?

The reason I speculate it might be one is because of how Brady wants it all the way. He doesn't even pretend to look somewhere else initially. But that's just how I read it. Happy to be corrected.

One other thing that I've noticed this year is that teams are finally starting to respect James White for what he really is and are putting their best or one of their best DB's on him on third downs.

And that is what Crennel did.

Honestly, I think this is where Sanu will help the most if they can get him somewhat healthy. A third reliable inside option was an absolute need to help out deal with teams doubling Edelman and paying special attention to White.

The reason I speculate it might be one is because of how Brady wants it all the way. He doesn't even pretend to look somewhere else initially. But that's just how I read it. Happy to be corrected.

If you look at the clip, it looks like he looks right first, didn't like what he sees right away, then goes left, takes a second to see the matchup, then throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes