PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Texans, all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone remember a screen last night? Pats are normally a pretty solid screen team, and with the heave James white usage and other struggles with the offense I would have expected more of a screen game. Any reasons for this? Too many spies at the line of scrimmage accounting for white? Too much doubling of Edelman? Any reason for this?

I’d love to see them get Harry in motion against the Queefs to beat the press and get him involved in some go routes and deep posts. He’s one on one and his specialty is jump balls. Let’s see if we can get him some chunk plays and some confidence on some easy routes and get those corners to back off.

This was one of the laziest performances from the entire offense I have seen in a long time.

That's what stood out to me, but I didn't trust my eyes/expertise. What's the deal with that? Brady used to light fire in the offense; is he behaving differently? While this runs this risk of being another oversimplified narrative, there does seem to be something lacking that's critically important.

OK - so as the game progressed it was common for the Texans to double team Edelman and use a DB to cover James white. *SOMEONE* else must be open *OR* the running game should be available. No?

OK - so as the game progressed it was common for the Texans to double team Edelman and use a DB to cover James white. *SOMEONE* else must be open *OR* the running game should be available. No?
Not always. Chatham is basically making the grand observation that Brady missed on some throws, as he’s done in every game throughout his career, while saying that people had trouble getting open too. The problem with Chatham is that he wears his team fan/ex-player hat before he wears his analysis hat, and that frequently comes out in his observations. They’re still good and worthwhile to listen to, but if he didn’t do that, he’d easily be the best film guy in the region.

Meyers and Harry are rookies and one of them missed most of the season. This is the hardest offense in the world to learn. That they’re running incorrect routes and aren’t on the same page with Brady is to be expected.

That's what stood out to me, but I didn't trust my eyes/expertise. What's the deal with that? Brady used to light fire in the offense; is he behaving differently? While this runs this risk of being another oversimplified narrative, there does seem to be something lacking that's critically important.

I don't know what the deal with it is. What I do know is that film review this week will be brutal for a lot of players on offense and defense.

The other thing I am kinda getting a bit upset with -- but I will wait for the A22 to form a more comprehensive opinion on it -- is that Mayo/SBelichick are too often going back to the cover-0 blitz well.

It is nothing surprising anymore. Most teams that have a semi competent OC will have a plan for that look to the point where it doesn't fry any QBs brain anymore because they just follow the pre formulated plan instead of being confused or ****ting their own pants.

The Eagles almost took advantage of it with Agholor and this time the Texans did multiple times.

He was essentially benched after the INT.

He had 11 snaps before the INT, with ~2:05 left in the 1st quarter
He had 10 snaps after the INT

So his snaps were reduced a lot, but saying he was "benched" isn't quite accurate.

Not always. Chatham is basically making the grand observation that Brady missed on some throws, as he’s done in every game throughout his career, while saying that people had trouble getting open too. The problem with Chatham is that he wears his team fan/ex-player hat before he wears his analysis hat, and that frequently comes out in his observations. They’re still good and worthwhile to listen to, but if he didn’t do that, he’d easily be the best film guy in the region.
Fair enough. My post was not based on Chatham's tweets rather based on (Collinsworth's?) details provided during the game.

Fair enough. My post was not based on Chatham's tweets rather based on (Collinsworth's?) details provided during the game.
I added to my post.

He had 11 snaps before the INT, with ~4:45 left in the second quarter
He had 10 snaps after the INT

So his snaps were reduced, but saying he was "benched" isn't quite accurate.

He had 11 snaps before the INT which happened with 2 minutes left in the first quarter. He played a couple snaps on the following series. And then had zero snaps in the fourth quarter.

So he had 5-6 snaps through 2 quarters and then nothing at the end.

That is also why I said "essentially" benched.

Last edited:
Chatham is basically making the grand observation that Brady missed on some throws, as he’s done in every game throughout his career, while saying that people had trouble getting open too.

Chathams point (or observation) is not that Brady missed on some throws.

His point -- if you watch the clip with sound and listen to what he is saying -- is that independently of the QB delivering the ball players are getting open and plays are there to be made. Which contradicts the narrative the NBC broadcast/some sports media tries to sell. In other words his argument is that this is an execution problem and not some kind of "we are dead in the water" situation.

I don't know how much more he can emphasize that this is a general offense issue and not "Brady missing on some throws".

Chathams point (or observation) is not that Brady missed on some throws.

His point -- if you watch the clip with sound and listen to what he is saying -- is that independently of the QB delivering the ball players are getting open and plays are there to be made. Which contradicts the narrative the NBC broadcast/some sports media tries to sell. In other words his argument is that this is an execution problem and not some kind of "we are dead in the water" situation.

I don't know how much more he can emphasize that this is a general offense issue and not "Brady missing on some throws".
If it’s a general offense issue, and Brady is a part of that offense, then what would Brady’s issue be outside of “missing on some throws?” Exactly.

If it’s a general offense issue, and Brady is a part of that offense, then what would Brady’s issue be outside of “missing on some throws?” Exactly.

I don't understand your obsession with Brady.

The entire point Chatham pretty eloquently makes in his first clip is that the reductive media narrative about players not being open is not the full story and shows an example of how LaCosse is totally open at the marker. In the other clip -- to balance things out so people don't get triggered by Brady criticism -- he points out how once again a WR is open but Cannon screwing up makes it impossible for Brady to make the easy completion.

In both cases the subject of the entire story he tells is that the concepts they ran worked exactly as they should and resulted in a wide open player (LaCosse and Meyers). This is not about Brady.

I don't understand your obsession with Brady.

The entire point Chatham pretty eloquently makes in his first clip is that the media narrative about players not being open is not true and shows an example of how LaCosse is totally open at the marker. In the other clip -- to balance things out so people don't get triggered by Brady criticism -- he points out how once again a WR is open but Cannon screwing up makes it impossible for Brady to make the easy completion.

In both cases the subject of the entire story he tells is that the concepts they ran worked exactly as they should and resulted in a wide open player (LaCosse and Meyers). This is not about Brady. Don't make this about him.
What the hell are you even talking about here? He made a point of saying the entire offense was an issue. That’s correct. That includes Brady. What exactly would Brady be doing that’s an issue if not missing on throws? Did he neglect an opportunity to tuck the ball and run? Was he supposed to get out and block on running plays? Of course not. He missed on throws. That’s what Chatham is saying re: Brady. If you have any other ideas for what Brady would have done wrong in this game, as an immobile pocket passer, please do share them.

What the hell are you even talking about here? He made a point of saying the entire offense was an issue. That’s correct. That includes Brady. What exactly would Brady be doing that’s an issue if not missing on throws? Did he neglect an opportunity to tuck the ball and run? Was he supposed to get out and block on running plays? Of course not. He missed on throws. That’s what Chatham is saying re: Brady. If you have any other ideas for what Brady would have done wrong in this game, as an immobile pocket passer, please do share them.

I have absolutely no idea why you keep focusing on Brady when Chatham's clips are only tangentially about QB play.

The entire story in those clips is about contradicting the silly narrative of "no one is open" and "no separation" but for whatever reason you keep coming back to connecting this to QB play which is totally irrelevant to Chatham's point.

he was off last night. Seemed to have happy feet

I have absolutely no idea why you keep focusing on Brady when Chatham's clips are only tangentially about QB play.

The entire story in those clips is about contradicting the silly narrative of "no one is open" and "no separation" but for whatever reason you keep coming back to connecting this to QB play which is totally irrelevant to Chatham's point.
No one was open and nobody had separation on many plays. This is evidenced by Brady having up to 7 seconds in the pocket and having to throw it away. Guys were open on other plays and Brady either missed them or went elsewhere with the ball. Hence Brady missed on some throws. What in the name of God you’re even arguing here is absolutely beyond me.

he was off last night. Seemed to have happy feet
Of course. He’s on the lower end of the totem pole for blame for last night, but he’s not without blame. Why I just had to argue that point is mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back