PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Texans, all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was completely perplexed by the play mentioned in the first tweet as well. They set it up exactly as you want it. You have your big body, strong possession type receiver 1v1 with a lot of space and then Brady does that weird "dash" rollout to the other side and Meyers.

I was nodding at my stream the same way as I was before Harry's TD against the TD expecting the ball to go there. We will have to wait for the A22 to get a better angle but I don't see what could have made Brady decide to not give Harry a 1v1 chance with so much space. This is literally the reason he was drafted and just a week ago he succeeded in a similar spot.

Ironically, Harry had leverage on that slant but not on the one that was picked. He was inside Roby.

It’s alarming for sure. He didn’t even fight for the ball on the INT. The slant is one of the easiest routes to get leverage on because you’re immediately putting the corner in a tough position. Harry gave it up anyway. He needs to be much more physical than that given his shortcomings. He’s not going to be a DeSean Jackson/Antonio Brown type. He’s never been that guy. His ceiling is Boldin. He needs to start playing like that. This team doesn’t burn first round picks on guys that they don’t think will contribute right out of the gates. Saying “I guess I need to use my body more” won’t cut it.

The rollout is the least favorite playcall of mine- it takes away Brady's best skill which is his vision and his ability to scan the entire field. By going to the rollout you automatically cut off half the field.

Took the words right out of my mouth - I remember mumbling something along those lines to myself immediately after that particular play occurred last night.

It’s alarming for sure. He didn’t even fight for the ball on the INT. The slant is one of the easiest routes to get leverage on because you’re immediately putting the corner in a tough position. Harry gave it up anyway. He needs to be much more physical than that given his shortcomings. He’s not going to be a DeSean Jackson/Antonio Brown type. He’s never been that guy. His ceiling is Boldin. He needs to start playing like that. This team doesn’t burn first round picks on guys that they don’t think will contribute right out of the gates. Saying “I guess I need to use my body more” won’t cut it.

Do you have the snap counts? How many snaps did he get?

Do you have the snap counts? How many snaps did he get?
They should be available today. It was noted multiple times, though, that his snaps went way down after the INT. I don’t blame the team. He can’t be trusted yet to know every option route in the book and he screwed up a slant that gave away momentum early.

This ain't College Harry you are in Pros playing against Pros Rookie. The CB jumped that Slant very easily on a Big Guy like him not Good.

This was a huge problem in the game, and was something that Texans exploited with good success. Look for other teams to start copying this:

I said on the game thread I would throw to my backs against KVN or Hightower on every single play. If you have outside threats of course. You will get gobs of yards and nothing they can do to stop it. I’m serious. If you get them on the field, every single play. It isn’t just a Pats problem it’s and NFL problem.

I said on the game thread I would throw to my backs against KVN or Hightower on every single play. If you have outside threats of course. You will get gobs of yards and nothing they can do to stop it. I’m serious. If you get them on the field, every single play. It isn’t just a Pats problem it’s and NFL problem.

Texans came in with that gameplan- went heavy in the backfield and had backs and receivers release from there into space, forcing that kind of matchup. We'll be seeing other teams copying that until we fix it.

Texans copied that from the Ravens, BTW.

He was essentially benched after the INT.

That sucks. I really hope this kid can use this stuff as motivation to get better. First he has to learned to get better off the line of scrimmage and using his body more to get positioning.

Do you have your own notes on that or is there some publicly available resource that does breakdowns on that.

I'd be curious what routes Gordon was running this year. But I don't have the time or motivation to fight my way through half a season of footage and note it down.
From Lazar, who I think might be getting it from PFF but I’m not completely sure on that.

These first few examples suggest what I thought
Chatham has been awesome about pointing out the holes in those "nobody is open narratives" for years now. Every time someone just think they can reduce issues down to one specific aspect it automatically makes their opinion highly suspect to me.

The issues on offense are a marriage of failures at various levels. Getting Wynn back and giving Brady more time just shrunk the vector of protection issues and puts the spotlight on other aspects.

That being said the LaCosse play in the first video is still pretty shocking to me.

Brady knows the offense, he understands the concept that is run, how the two routes affect each other and he somehow seems to anticipate Edelman being open. Everything fine so far. But when he looks at Jules he must surely realize the amount of DBs around Edelman but doesn't mentally put it together fast enough what it means for the route right below with LaCosse ? Come on.

My only explanation is that he is still in a mental hurry up mode expecting pressure at any moment. Because this was fundamentally pretty bad.
I suggested somewhere else that I feel like if Brady has slipped it's not in velocity or movement in the pocket, but ability to see the field well. Or possibly it's he's processing too quickly due to previous line issues and making bad decisions.

"Nobody was open" can be pretty weak sauce. Of course sometimes separation is an issue, but it's rare to have multiple guys running free like gazelles in the NFL. But guys like Harry and Sanu have to make the plays when Brady makes the throws. Harry's effort on that play was pathetic.

"Nobody was open" can be pretty weak sauce. Of course sometimes separation is an issue, but it's rare to have multiple guys running free like gazelles in the NFL. But guys like Harry and Sanu have to make the plays when Brady makes the throws. Harry's effort on that play was pathetic.

It is just a lazy sledge hammer of an explanation. True on some plays, not true on others.

I think the worst part of the WR performance yesterday was the 3-4 times they completely screwed up sticks depth and went OOB or to the ground like half a yard too early. I vividly remember Dorsett stepping out semi-relaxed inches from the red marker on the sideline. Take that one effing step to the marker and make it a first down please ?

This was one of the laziest performances from the entire offense I have seen in a long time.

That plant step is a bit lazy to say the least. Way too slow coming out while simultaneously whiffing on his push off. Top of the route he whiffs or as Jordan would say. You reach, I'll teach. Roby does a great job disrupting Harry's speed through contact & makes a great play. Harry has to do a better job at creating contact w his body & using that contact while he plants to create separation vs press.

WR, OL, doesn't matter. You impede someones hands & their feet/speed slows down.

Also I see the point he's trying to make abt Harry but maybe not the greatest example. Harry was ok coming the los here. He got in trouble a lot in college dancing at the los. Look at the releases & you can see the difference. He's a 1, 2 move WR at most, when releasing off the line. Has to be decisive, physical & play/catch through contact. Everything he didn't do there.

The real problem with sitting Harry after that INT is that he can really add to the running game by being an excellent blocker. Dorsett versus Harry as a blocker is a big deal.

I vividly remember Dorsett stepping out semi-relaxed inches from the red marker on the sideline. Take that one effing step to the marker and make it a first down please ?

I brought that up on the GDT. Zero effort to make the first down when it definitely looked like he could have altered his course. Not the first time he's done it, Dorsett seems to be averse to contact.

Harry's effort on that play was pathetic.

Harry broke the cardinal rule of slants and let Roby get across his body to make a play on the football.

I brought that up on the GDT. Zero effort to make the first down when it definitely looked like he could have altered his course. Not the first time he's done it, Dorsett seems to be averse to contact.

I don't know if he is averse to contact he survived and held on to a lot of catches while getting nailed. Most notably against the Eagles before being out with the concussion.

And it is not like he was the only one being a dumbass yesterday either. Sanu had a similar brain fart with the marker, Edelman had the completely unnecessary OPI where he not only impeded the DB from following Meyers (who had him beat) but actually actively knocked him off his legs.

Just bizarre stuff.

I suggested somewhere else that I feel like if Brady has slipped it's not in velocity or movement in the pocket, but ability to see the field well. Or possibly it's he's processing too quickly due to previous line issues and making bad decisions.

To me, he's not really slipping- but he's no longer at the point where he can strap a ****ty offense onto his back, and will his way to victory.

This offense still hasn't found a post-Gronk identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes