PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE @ TN rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there, does it look as bad rewatching as it did in person? Ugh, you’d think they won the Super Bowl or something down here.

This was an in-game observation so may not hold up on review, but tge Titans appeared to focus on taking White out of the game either by blitzing and forcing him to chip before he got into his route or actively double covering him. It worked.

Brady's been bad (worst passer rating in the league) this year when blitzed, and normally he wants to be blitzed because he picks apart blitzing teams. I think that's where the trouble starts, and I'm not sure if it's protection, Brady himself, the receivers, or (most likely) some combination of the above.

That's what I thought as well. They put pressure on Brady and took away his quick reads.

Will look into it more once the All-22 is available which is hopefully tonight.

I think its a combination.

Lack of protection leading to Brady seeing ghosts. Either he's being hit immediately, or he's too worried about getting it immediately to go to his second read.

When he has 3 seconds he does okay, anything less then that is a crapshoot. That hit on his reception probably didn't help matters, that hit seemed late(he was already hitting the ground), and incredibly hard.

The o-line right now is a bit of a mess because of injuries.

I'm not sure yet but at some point during the game Brady got hit and I thought he may have been hurt.

what I was wondering about on this play (as I've seen a couple of similar plays in the past few games), why does brady consistantly under throw Gordon? forcing some come back routes (not sure if by design or unintentionally because they are not on the same page yet?)

there it looks like a GO-route and without safety help over the top, why don't you try to give Gordon a real chance and take advantage of a real jump ball against a smaller DB than forcing him to turn back and try a jump ball with the DB in his face with the ball barely 6 ft above the ground? rather drop it over Gordon the chances for an TO are low and for a DPI quite there if you place the ball over Gordons head into the running lane on a real GO-route instead of forcing the WR to turn around to the LOS to be able to contest for the catch

at worst you would have gotten the same end result with an incomplete pass if Gordon can't reach the ball, but brady looked unconfident out there yesterday

anyway the fact that Gronks presence at least will take one-two defenders only to be somewehere around gronk will easy up the coverage of edelman, gordon, and any WR3, which immidiately will help the Offense to find some room out there, so the most improtant thing for the patriots is health over the next few months on both sides of the ball but mainly to the O-Line and G-E-G-trio out there

My initial thought was that Brady lost his footing because of the turf. On the replay, it looked like Brady tripped himself up and that's was caused him to stumble forward.

Yes, it was his own feet that he tripped over.

Which is why, the more I go into this, the more I feel better about how things look. We are not going to be 14-2 every season.

After the K.C. loss in 2014....I felt the same way after watching tape.

what I was wondering about on this play (as I've seen a couple of similar plays in the past few games), why does brady consistantly under throw Gordon? forcing some come back routes (not sure if by design or unintentionally because they are not on the same page yet?)

there it looks like a GO-route and without safety help over the top, why don't you try to give Gordon a real chance and take advantage of a real jump ball against a smaller DB than forcing him to turn back and try a jump ball with the DB in his face with the ball barely 6 ft above the ground? rather drop it over Gordon the chances for an TO are low and for a DPI quite there if you place the ball over Gordons head into the running lane on a real GO-route instead of forcing the WR to turn around to the LOS to be able to contest for the catch

at worst you would have gotten the same end result with an incomplete pass if Gordon can't reach the ball, but brady looked unconfident out there yesterday

anyway the fact that Gronks presence at least will take one-two defenders only to be somewehere around gronk will easy up the coverage of edelman, gordon, and any WR3, which immidiately will help the Offense to find some room out there, so the most improtant thing for the patriots is health over the next few months on both sides of the ball but mainly to the O-Line and G-E-G-trio out there

Sometimes it's a bad throw....as simple as that.

While I don't think Brady is declining....we still need to give him more time to set his feet so that his mechanics are fluid....

Also @BaconGrundleCandy @PP2 @Tony2046 and anyone else with the All-22, can we concentrate on Brady’s legs and overall mechanics? There were multiple throws that I counted yesterday where he didn’t step into his throws and threw them flat-footed. These were plays where no pressure was around. Was he under pressure/hit/sacked prior to these throws?
Some things I've noticed about Brady's lower half.

Front foot doesn't always point towards target but it's his back foot that is more important & aligned w his accuracy. There his balance but again more back, when it stays on the ground he's usually money.
His hips are where the power come from from & usually point towards the target as well. He really throws w his hips & core.

I'll definitely take a look.
I think yesterday was the floor for this offense. Frustration from Brady. Injuries. Poor OL play which might be the biggest factor, again injuries there. Basically a bad game from everyone but definitely worth looking into hard. I disagree w those who say this useless to look at.

Again this was the floor for the offense & the defense deserves attention too. It's good to look at everything though. The good & bad.

Thoughts on the first half of the game which I’ve just rewatched, focusing exclusively on Brady, without the benefit of the all-22 and knowing who’s who on the Titans D. I also don’t know who’s open, who’s not getting separation and who’s not on the same page, in terms of route running. So, in short, no X and O’s yet, until I can start looking at the all-22.

Right now, just a couple of broad-stroke thoughts:

Vrabel and Pees: between the two of them, they know a lot about Brady, and what makes Brady tick, and more importantly what aggravates Brady. Brady is a creature of habit, of countless repetitions- and more importantly, someone who needs to get into rhythm, into a groove. Vrabel knows this, and didn’t allow his game plan to develop any sort of consistency, or familiarity, nothing for Brady to latch on to and get into a rhythm. You also have to credit Vrabel here for having his team 100% prepared for the Patriots, from being all over White, especially on 3rd downs, watching out for QB sneaks, to lining up over Karras. He did an outstanding job.

They knows that Brady is more patient than most quarterbacks in the league, and will keep probing for a weakness. Vrabel/Pees knows that if you want to stay one step ahead of Brady you have to do it for a full 60 minutes. Football in this regard is a game of attrition, and Pees knows that he can’t let up on continually mixing up coverages, and he didn’t, he really maxed out the usage of hybrid players on D, putting them all over the field. A lot of mixing up coverages on the back end, and disguised blitzes.

Allen: Terrible on pass protection. Gave up 3 hurries.

McDaniels didn’t call a creative game. Didn’t really adjust to exploit the aggressiveness of the Titans defense.

Waddle: Brady is not going to trust Waddle at LT. A handful of times, you see Brady shy away to the right, away from Waddle. This probably shortened the clock in his head for the rest of the game.

First half: 23 dropbacks 5 hurries, 3 knockdowns, 2 sacks. So the Titans are basically getting to him every other passing snap.

Show me a quarterback getting this kind of heat, and I will show you a quarterback with crappy mechanics and terrible footwork.

And again, this offense is still not firing on all cylinders. It just isn’t there.

Last edited:
When we've done something unique on offense, we've been successful more often than not- for example, two PAs off fake draws to open the 4th. That caught them off guard. No idea why we weren't doing this much earlier, than when we ended up being down by 17.

BTW.. I think that 13:06 in the 4th, 1st and 10, is when Edelman actually tweaked his ankle, not the 4th and 6 later on. You can see him get up slowly and try to shake off a limp.

How huge has Mason's injury been from your guys film review? We all know our offense struggles when opposing Ds can pressure the interior and not allow TB to step up

Gilmore gets a pass from me because he’s been playing at an all-pro level all year

But Davis straight up took his lunch money from him in that game. Just absolutely abused him for 60 minutes.

Gilmore is the least of my concerns tho, he’ll rebound from this 1 bad game

• ThankU!
Reactions: PP2

Not sure how Reiss can call the pass pro, with the amount of missing starters they had on Sunday, a "strength." Regardless, Pittsburgh used to try this with Brady all the time and got torched for it.

How huge has Mason's injury been from your guys film review? We all know our offense struggles when opposing Ds can pressure the interior and not allow TB to step up

The offensive line had plenty of moving pieces
After the Patriots already deactivated starting right guard Shaq Mason on Saturday, the team saw plenty of movement along its offensive line during the game. Left tackle Trent Brown played just 38 of 66 snaps (58%) after dealing with illness and back issues, while right tackle Marcus Cannonalso had to leave the game for four snaps at one point (62; 94%). Meanwhile, backup LaAdrian Waddle was on the field for 35 snaps (53%), as only two men — guards Joe Thuney and Ted Karras — did not leave it once. The result of all the moving parts was an inconsistent performance in both the running and the passing game.

Patriots vs Titans snap counts: New England unsuccessfully tried stopping the run

My initial thought was that Brady lost his footing because of the turf. On the replay, it looked like Brady tripped himself up and that's was caused him to stumble forward.

There were a lot of guys slipping, sliding and falling down. Not sure if the Pats should have worn different cleats? I recall one of the announces commenting on it, but I don't remember if the problem existed on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back